Jemele Hill: It's time for black athletes to leave white colleges

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
She is right in some ways. But it's unrealistic plus it's a slippery slope of telling black athletes what to do

When you as a black journalist or black anything don't follow suit
When I said the last sentence nikka tried to say I was being emotional smh. I don’t get how dudes don’t get it. Dudes might be right but being realistic if you’re not practicing what you preach most people going to take you but so serious.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
The Fab Five as we know it wouldn’t exist in 2019. For that to work at an HBCU you need something that is a dying breed: elite college upperclassmen.

All it would take is one or two top recruits with hype to commit to set the trend for a group to follow. If Zion went to HBCU he's still the #1 pick/getting paid.

Wear My Dawg's Hat

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Land That Time Forgot
How about HBCUs working to retain the elite talent that chooses to attend them?

usa_today_10465207.5.jpg

UConn Men’s Basketball lands Howard transfer RJ Cole
The New Jersey product will have two seasons of eligibility with the the Huskies after sitting a year.
By Dan Madigan May 14, 2019, 7:28pm EDT

UConn men’s basketball coach Dan Hurley has locked down a high-profile transfer as former Howard guard RJ Cole announced that he will be transferring to UConn. He told Evan Daniels of 247Sports that he gave his verbal commitment during an official visit that ended earlier this week. The other school in consideration was Alabama.

Cole, who played for Hurley’s father Bobby at St. Anthony’s, came to Howard as a 3-star recruit and left as one of the best underclassman scorers in the country. After coming to Howard, Cole put up an impressive freshman season, averaging 23.7 points per game and scoring 42 points against UNC-Wilmington.

As a sophomore, the 6-foot-1 guard proved that his freshman performance was no fluke, averaging 21.4 points and 6.4 assists while shooting 38.7% from the 3-point line and earning a handful of accolades. On top of being named to the All-MEAC first team for the second-straight year, Cole was also named the MEAC Player of the Year last season and was named an AP All-American honorable mention.

Following the end of his sophomore season, coinciding with the departure of the head coach who recruited him, Cole decided to test the NBA Draft waters before changing his mind and deciding to transfer. After taking an official visit to Alabama in early-May, Cole decided to go back to the northeast and play for Hurley.

Cole’s addition is arguably the best-possible solution for the Huskies’ final scholarship for next year. While the Union, New Jersey native will sit out the 2019-20 season, he’ll have two seasons of eligibility remaining. He could also apply for a waiver to be eligible immediately.

With Christian Vital and Alterique Gilbert more than capable of holding things down next year, Hurley has done a nice job solidifying the future of the backcourt with a proven scorer and distributor that could carry the Huskies through 2022. Combine Cole’s presence with the current young core of recruits and Hurley’s momentum on the recruiting trail, and it’s easy to see that he may be well on his way to building the next core of great UConn guards.

UConn Men’s Basketball lands Howard transfer RJ Cole

Tribal Outkast

Veteran
Daps
I mean the best bet now is to keep pumping out guys that ball at the next level out of the schools they come from like Cohen from NC A&T or the guys that come from schools like SC State and others. You’re going to find it hard for HBCU’s to compete with these other schools unless they get dirty too abc start leaving money bags on kids porches and shyt. It is what it is with that though.

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
All it would take is one or two top recruits with hype to commit to set the trend for a group to follow. If Zion went to HBCU he's still the #1 pick/getting paid.
he likely wasn't the #1 pick entering his freshman year. To add to that, you might convince someone in your class to join you, because that's happened many a time (which is mostly based on who's recruiting you), but how many kids go to a school based on who the prior class was unless you plan on teaming up with them? In other words, unless Zion sticks around and I team up with him in the hopes of winning a title, Zion or whoever going to an HBCU means absolutely nothing. I've said this before. No school has built their program off of just one and dones. It takes time. In your example, for argument's sake we'll use Zion/Barrett/Reddish. All three would have to do at least 3 years together to make the school look good.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
I agree but it's a hard Hill to climb these days...we don't collectively have the pride to do this as of yet....but if this new generation is as woke as they say they are maybe things will change.....but who am I kidding they will dangle a PAWG in front of these dudes and welp.....
Corny ass response right here.

And obvious dap pandering

Y'all cats can't be serious. Y'all say she went to the place that was best for her which happened to be a PWI but she doesn't seem like a double talker saying that kids shouldn't goto a PWI themselves if that's the best opportunity for them? I know y'all wanna be on y'all's women do no wrong stuff but y'all aren't making any sense saying her going to a PWI isn't something worthy of a FOH in this instance. People get woke at 40+ telling folks to do things they didn't do when they had the chance is like nah fam. You can always suggest it but going too hard on things you didn't or don't do is always nah fam stuff no matter what gender, race, etc you are.
That's basically the coli. Middle aged nikkas who do exactly what you described

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
If this is to work, HBCUs have to play the long game.

Don’t target 4 or 5 star football players, but go after the 2 or 3 star guys who won’t start at a major D-1 school but could star at theirs. Get a lot of those types and establish a high base.

It’s very hard to do this in football but basketball could definitely happen since a few players can change a programs trajectory.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Someone finally gets it.

It's interesting that she got a quote from SC state, but didn't go into how state officials stripped the school of funds in favor of Clemson and U of South Carolina.
This happened in Louisiana with Piyush Jindaal fukking over Grambling and Southern.

The HBCUs in Maryland had to sue the State to get some semblance of equal funding a few years ago.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...e-over-disparities-in-state-higher-education/

Edit: already covered

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
If this is to work, HBCUs have to play the long game.

Don’t target 4 or 5 star football players, but go after the 2 or 3 star guys who won’t start at a major D-1 school but could star at theirs. Get a lot of those types and establish a high base.

It’s very hard to do this in football but basketball could definitely happen since a few players can change a programs trajectory.

Facts

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
he likely wasn't the #1 pick entering his freshman year. To add to that, you might convince someone in your class to join you, because that's happened many a time (which is mostly based on who's recruiting you), but how many kids go to a school based on who the prior class was unless you plan on teaming up with them? In other words, unless Zion sticks around and I team up with him in the hopes of winning a title, Zion or whoever going to an HBCU means absolutely nothing. I've said this before. No school has built their program off of just one and dones. It takes time. In your example, for argument's sake we'll use Zion/Barrett/Reddish. All three would have to do at least 3 years together to make the school look good.

It would take maybe one or two top guys on that level to make a sacrifice for it to happen.:manny:

Buts let's say a guy like Lebron went for one year. The school gets the revenue/tv money and etc, thus providing more money (:mjgrin:) to bring other athletes the following year, and so on creating a chain

What happens there?

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
It would take maybe one or two top guys on that level to make a sacrifice for it to happen.:manny:

Buts let's say a guy like Lebron went for one year. The school gets the revenue/tv money and etc, thus providing more money (:mjgrin:) to bring other athletes the following year, and so on creating a chain

What happens there?
The player doesn’t cause that effect long term. Whoever the coach and recruiters are do. In the NBA, that’s more likely, but not in college. You could have the money, location and resources but if you can’t recruit and coach you’re not going anywhere.