Jay Z's "Tidal" Streaming Service Launches at $9.99 or $19.99/month; NO free ad-supported plan

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Lol do you work for the company? Odd response if not.

Naw, but I work for this other Fortune 500 company called Common Sense LTD. My experience from working there enticed me to chime in.

And there's nothing odd about anything I said. They all cost 9.99 a month. Name another company that's less than 9.99 without a loop-hole and commercial-less?

Vast majority of people that would be interested in this already use some other streaming service.

That didn't stop Beats By Dre, Amazon, or a host of others from doing it.

And most people are fine with the free version. You need something to entice them to switch and offering no free option, they arent doing themselves any favors.

Speak for yourself. People are confusing Spotify when it first dropped to now. Spotify is terrible free now. Shuffle only plus commercials? Pass. I also personally hate Pandora, it makes more sense to go with IHeartRadio in that case.

I kind of agree with what you're saying about enticing. The main selling point is the high quality sound, which is 19.99 per month. The addition of music videos is cool, you don't have to switch to youtube mobile if you want to see a video. It leaves one to wonder how much stock are they are going to put into exclusive content. Right now, it's all about choice. But then again, that's kind of already the case with all the other streaming services out there. As it stands with Tidal, as long as they maintain most of the 100,000 plus user base past the trail period, they are already on the right track.

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
fukk paying for streaming music, but I could go for some $2 tacos :patrice:

Jesus Shuttlesworth

I Got Game
Daps
Reppin
Sovereignty
They aint listening. they really think they can keep downloading for free and paying the bare minimum and great music will happen. it wont. thats why this gen has to lie to themselves about how great every song, album is the moment it drops "oh my gawd its a classic.' no it aint. its barely ok at best. stop it.

keep trying not to pay for stuff that cost money to create and put out to you and see dont the quality drops off the face of the earth. thats simple economics folks.

There's a reason you can get 99cent tacos from jack in the box. what the hell are those tacos made of? i got a taco spot around the house that is the best taco i have ever tasted in my life(black owned too). his tacos are like $2.00 a piece. but the quality is gourmet quality. see i'm willing to pay for quality. most of these people aint. so you get what you pay for. and stop crying about it. but the issue is we all listen to the same music. so if the masses are cheapskates it ruins my music too.

The best music comes from starving artists.

Your comparison to a fukkin taco (:why:) is ludicrous at best. Tacos actually cost money to make due to raw materials. All you need to make music is a studio and a beat, both of which technically can be got for free. The rest is about talent and passion. If anything, money fukks with that passion, thus, decreasing the value of the art.

I would also question your understanding of the economics involved with the industry. Music doesn't cost money to make, it costs money to promote. Which is why MOST of that record sale, the artist will never touch anyway.

So you can restrict your fans in order to line the label owner's pockets, in exchange for them promoting your music. Or you can let the internet promote it for you for free. The same people who are gonna buy your album are gonna buy it, the same who won't, won't. And that money isn't the real money in music anyway. Might as well let the internet have it and increase your fanbase. Then eat off the tour.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

Dude was a dumbass to be honest. He was the CEO of Tidal pre-merger. That service only had 17,000 customers. Yet this dude did not change anything when they tried to market the lower end service. He did not even think of naming shyt Tidal and TIdal plus so that people differentiate.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

Shocking. Dudes wanted to get at me for asking why anyone would pay for a streaming service and this is the public's response. Pandora and Spotify work just fine for free. Some people want to bytch about a 30 second commercial every few songs, yet most of us remember 5-7 minutes of commercials on the radio while the same 10 songs played all day.

Most of the best music that we on this site listen to is mixtapes and that shyt is free.

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
Dude was a dumbass to be honest. He was the CEO of Tidal pre-merger. That service only had 17,000 customers. Yet this dude did not change anything when they tried to market the lower end service. He did not even think of naming shyt Tidal and TIdal plus so that people differentiate.

they brought back the pre-merger Tidal (well the orignal CEO).

RisAri0

<<dunno what swag means
Daps
Yeah, a huge waste of money. Nobody can compete with spotify. And now Apple is in the mix as well with beats music

but if u have artists themselves involved in it one way or another and jumping over to one side and not on the other services, then well...I can see it be a big deal.