Jay Z sued for $18 million for not doing promo for perfume, says he didn't read contract

JQ Legend

Veteran
Daps
No it isn’t what you said. If I say 2 x 2 = 4 and you say 1 x 2 = 4, we both got the right answer but your logic of getting there was completely wrong and you just to lucky. The fact is, there isn’t some black letter law that says as a business man you understand every contract in front of you. You have to look at how the contract was drafted and the understanding between the parties. Jay could argue that they had an oral agreement and the written contract was supposed to memorialize that and he didn’t read the fine print. That’s his point about not being a lawyer. He’s arguing that he didn’t read it and he didn’t have legal counsel involved so he was operating from a position of ignorance. Moreover he is arguing that no harm was done because he substantially performed his duties and grew the brand. The point is, this is the very basis of lawyering so no it’s not a clear cut case. By that logic there would be no business man that is ever successful in defending breach of contract claims.

:dwillhuh:

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
2012 was still in the middle of the Great Recession.

This isn’t an open/shut case. They would have to prove his lack of involvement led to specific decline in revenue. They can’t pin all of the financial losses on one person. And he has a counter suit for money owed to him. So it may end as a zero sum gain for both parties involved.
The losses didnt occur until 2015-2016… it was profitable in 2013.

so that excuse is out.

itsyoung!!

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Basically the suit is trying to claim that Hov's the reason the line (and effectively their business) suffered.

It's a high burden to prove in NYS though. However, it's an expected lawsuit from someone in Hov's capacity.

I have a feeling this'll be settled or denied.
No. Its because he failed his obligations to do 3 appearances a year, etc.

lib123

All Star
Daps
So Jay Z is not even a good businessman?

Let me find out he dont really know how much money he actually has either.

Lol a lot of these celebrities are probably just as surprised as us when they see those Forbes lists.

Sohh_lifted

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
but how does those non appearances equate to lost revenue? How can they prove it?

Are you asking how can a celebrity-endorsed product, not sell as expected.....if the celebrity sponsor/endorser fails to comply with appearances requirements, thus essentially stopping promoting/endorsing the product?

:dwillhuh:

If Shaq failed to do his required public appearances and commercial shoots for Papa Johns, they would sue him for breach of contract. yall cant be this obtuse.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Probably gonna settle that much less minus what he owes.

Meanwhile I did a dispute in my cc for $800 and I want that money back. 18m ain’t really impacting the Carter family’s lifestyle