Albums Jay Electronica - A Written Testimony (Discussion Thread)

BocaRear

The World Is My Country, To Do Good Is My Religion
Daps
The reason why idiots like Joe Budden are suggesting Jay-Z > Jay Electronica on this tape is because most of Jay Electronica's references went over their heads. Every single verse Electronica spit is littered with gems. Some I picked out:

"I put on for my nation like I'm King T'Challa,
crushing the Oyibo that try to bring wahala"

:ooh:

"It''s the return of the Mahdi,
it's the return of the Akhis,
It's the return of the lost and found tribe of Shabazz, the Annunakis"

ya'll gotta refer back to the ancient scrolls to decipher this one:mjlit:

"The son of slaves, I started out as a peasant
That's why I build my temple like Solomon in the desert,
The lord is my rock,
I speed dial through salat"

double entendre here :
1) BUILD HIS TEMPLE- as in acquire knowledge referring to the temple region of the skull :damn:
2)
creating imagery of slaves/peasants building the temple of Solomon

"I started on Tatooine but now I'm way out in Dagobah.
Mastered the force made my saber in the light now"

- bars on Ezekial's Wheel with the UFO imagery :picard:

Excellent reference to showcase his mastery - Luke Skywalker started out a bum on tatooine before mastering the force in dagobah with Yoda :blessed:

Honestly, Jay Electronica's verses are full of intricate lines/wordplay/imagery/references - you really have to go over it a couple of times. Anyone that says he got washed isn't paying close enough attention :manny:

El Vato

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Oaktown...Bay Area
The reason why idiots like Joe Budden are suggesting Jay-Z > Jay Electronica on this tape is because most of Jay Electronica's references went over their heads. Every single verse Electronica spit is littered with gems. Some I picked out:

The lord is my rock,

double entendre here :
1) BUILD HIS TEMPLE- as in acquire knowledge referring to the temple region of the skull :damn:
2)

Excellent reference to showcase his mastery - Luke Skywalker started out a bum on tatooine before mastering the force in dagobah with Yoda :blessed:

Honestly, Jay Electronica's verses are full of intricate lines/wordplay/imagery/references - you really have to go over it a couple of times. Anyone that says he got washed isn't paying close enough attention :manny:
you serious...he called and said fukk I was wrong......you have no clue or idea

tinnyskillz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Paterson/Passaic, New Jersey

It`s the return of:pacspit:
That`s my new style:wow:

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO

The lord is my rock,

double entendre here :
2)

LMAO

THAT shyt WASNT THAT DEEP BREAUGH.

ITS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD.

MAKING A BUNCH OF REFERENCES
DOESNT EQUAL BARS.
ITS ACTUALLY LAZY WRITING.
:devil:
:evil:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
LMAO

THAT shyt WASNT THAT DEEP BREAUGH.

ITS PRETTY STRAIGHT FORWARD.

MAKING A BUNCH OF REFERENCES
DOESNT EQUAL BARS.
ITS ACTUALLY LAZY WRITING.

The references on the album are excellent, it's not just a bunch of random references, it's purposeful within the context of the concept/message throughout the album. They aren't for the sake of making a random reference for a namedrop, it's for getting people deeper within the theme.

My ancestors took old food, made soul food
Jim Crow's a trope too, he stole the soul music

For example, this Jay-Z bar where he mentions Jim Crow, he's saying Jim Crow is a trope too, because some people speaking of antisemitism ignore, overlook, play down or don't give proper respect to everything that black people have faced (and often still do), Jewish people have suffered historically too and respect to that, but can't downplay what black people have faced too and that's often done, they make it out like Jewish discrimination is the priority when surely everybody should be treated fairly and equally. It has a few layers also, in the film Dumbo they have the Jim Crow character speaking slang and for all intents and purpose in black face, singing, obviously Disney have a history of racism too. 1 of the key words is stole, they "stole" the soul music, this also relates to cultural appropriation and those who have stolen black people's music in the past historically but not paid proper homage or respect.

So just for context my ancestors took old food and made soul food, so they took old culturally traditional food and made soul food to nourish people within those times dealing with the oppression they were facing. Then as I mentioned the Jim Crow line, for anybody who doesn't know what a trope is (you probably do but some here may not) it's like a stereotype. And for anybody that doesn't know what Jim Crow is on here they should probably Google it and read up, but to briefly summarize it was segregation laws, so that being mentioned in that way against black people is a trope, that is no less disrespectful and distasteful than some of the Jewish ones.

That's just 1 line and there's quite a lot of depth behind and it's just 1 line from the first verse on the first song. This kind of thing is a theme that runs through the album.

Then Jay Electronica's verse on the song also continues and expands on the themes. It reminds me a bit of if the Panther's united with the N.O.I in terms of what they bring to the table, it's like 2 different perspectives of the same struggle.

I like this line too...

I put on for my nation like I'm King T'Challa
Crushing the oyibo that try to bring wahala

Actually has the Black Panther film reference but then using African/Nigerian terms in a way that make sense and in context while also sounding dope and rhyming well too. This is what I mean about tying into themes, they keep building on the theme throughout which makes quite an in depth experience overall.

The writing is very good, it's not lazy at all, there's a lot of depth to the album, which will elaborate on in this thread at some point when have time, but there's so much may have to do it line by line over time, because this post was just 1 of 2 lines from the first song, to speak about it in it's entirety will take some time.

Last edited:

CHICAGO

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
The references on the album are excellent, it's not just a bunch of random references, it's purposeful within the context of the concept/message throughout the album. They aren't for the sake of making a random reference for a namedrop, it's for getting people deeper within the theme.

My ancestors took old food, made soul food
Jim Crow's a trope too, he stole the soul music

For example, this Jay-Z bar where he mentions Jim Crow, he's saying Jim Crow is a trope too, because some people speaking of antisemitism ignore, overlook, play down or don't give proper respect to everything that black people have faced (and often still do), Jewish people have suffered historically too and respect to that, but can't downplay what black people have faced too and that's often done, they make it out like Jewish discrimination is the priority when surely everybody should be treated fairly and equally. It has a few layers also, in the film Dumbo they have the Jim Crow character speaking slang and for all intents and purpose in black face, singing, obviously Disney have a history of racism too. 1 of the key words is stole, they "stole" the soul music, this also relates to cultural appropriation and those who have stolen black people's music in the past historically but not paid proper homage or respect.

So just for context my ancestors took old food and made soul food, so they took old culturally traditional food and made soul food to nourish people within those times dealing with the oppression they were facing. Then as I mentioned the Jim Crow line, for anybody who doesn't know what a trope is (you probably do but some here may not) it's like a stereotype. And for anybody that doesn't know what Jim Crow is on here they should probably Google it and read up, but to briefly summarize it was segregation laws, so that being mentioned in that way against black people is a trope, that is no less disrespectful and distasteful than some of the Jewish ones.

That's just 1 line and there's quite a lot of depth behind and it's just 1 line from the first verse on the first song. This kind of thing is a theme that runs through the album.

Then Jay Electronica's verse on the song also continues and expands on the themes. It reminds me a bit of if the Panther's united with the N.O.I in terms of what they bring to the table, it's like 2 different perspectives of the same struggle.

I like this line too...

I put on for my nation like I'm King T'Challa
Crushing the oyibo that try to bring wahala

Actually has the Black Panther film reference but then using African/Nigerian terms in a way that make sense and in context while also sounding dope and rhyming well too. This is what I mean about tying into themes, they keep building on the theme throughout which makes quite an indepth experience overall.

The writing is very good, it's not lazy at all, there's a lot of depth to the album, which will elaborate on in this thread at some point when have time, but there's so much may have to do it line by line over time, because this post was just 1 of 2 lines from the first song, to speak about it in it's entirety will take some time.

THAT HOV LINE WAS NICER
THAN ANYTHING ELEC SAID ON THE ALBUM.

CHICAGO

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
One of Budden’s worst takes ever. This is a great album

DID BUDDEN EVER ACTUALLY SAY THE ALBUM WASNT GOOD?

I BELIEVE HE HAD A SIMILAR SENTIMENT TO ME...

ITS A GOOD ALBUM BUT WHERE ARE THE BARS?

FROM A RAPPERS PERSPECTIVE
THIS IS SOME BULLshyt
AND nikkaS LETTING ELEC GET AWAY
WITH shyt OTHER RAPPERS CANT
WHILE CLAIMING DUDE IS SOME SORT
OF ELITE LYRICIST.

A LOT OF RAPPERS CAN GIVE
YOU GOOD ALBUMS
IF YOURE GONNA ALLOW
THEM TO GIVE YOU 9 VERSES,
PLUS NOT MANY HOOKS
AND THATS WITHOUT ADDING HOV.

Last edited:

scorpino

Love Yourz
Daps
Reppin
NULL
DID BUDDEN EVER ACTUALLY SAY THE ALBUM WASNT GOOD?

I BELIEVE HE HAD A SIMILAR SENTIMENT TO ME...

ITS A GOOD ALBUM BUT WHERE ARE THE BARS?

FROM A RAPPERS PERSPECTIVE
THIS IS SOME BULLshyt
AND nikkaS LETTING ELEC GET AWAY
WITH shyt OTHER RAPPERS CANT
WHILE CLAIMING DUDE IS SOME SORT
OF ELITE LYRICIST.

A LOT OF RAPPERS CAN GIVE
YOU GOOD ALBUMS
IF YOURE GONNA ALLOW
THEM TO GIVE YOU 9 VERSES,
PLUS NOT MANY HOOKS
AND THATS WITHOUT ADDING HOV.

I think he said he hated the album. Didn’t like the drums and thought Jay Z murdered JE on his own shyt. I just think musically it’s a good album. I keep going back to it. I couldn’t give two fukks about Jay Electronica’s level of lyricism