Votes: 27 39.7%

• Total voters

MisterMajesty

All Star
Daps
Reppin
South London
hmmm. It's either one.

Racing games = They're neck an neck, Forza or Gran Turismo? (i'd pick GT personally), WipEout or F-zero? (I got wipEout personally, but i see why f-zero is loved more)

Action games = Japan takes this one easy, yeah GOW and dark souls exists, but Japan has NG, Shinobi, Streets of rage, final fight, Devil May Cry, onimusha, Nioh, Tenchu/Sekiro, etc

Sports games = The west has won this so pro evo stopped being a thing

Shooters = Japan only really has vanquish, whereas the west has DOOM, Call of duty etc. Hands down the west

Fighting games = The east. Don't even need to go into this one.

RTS Games = West, easily. if MOBAs are counted than this can go either way

RPGS = This is a complete toss up. both have absolute masterpieces, FF series, tales, fallout, planescape etc

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
hmmm. It's either one.

Racing games = They're neck an neck, Forza or Gran Turismo? (i'd pick GT personally), WipEout or F-zero? (I got wipEout personally, but i see why f-zero is loved more)

Action games = Japan takes this one easy, yeah GOW and dark souls exists, but Japan has NG, Shinobi, Streets of rage, final fight, Devil May Cry, onimusha, Nioh, Tenchu/Sekiro, etc

Sports games = The west has won this so pro evo stopped being a thing

Shooters = Japan only really has vanquish, whereas the west has DOOM, Call of duty etc. Hands down the west

Fighting games = The east. Don't even need to go into this one.

RTS Games = West, easily. if MOBAs are counted than this can go either way

RPGS = This is a complete toss up. both have absolute masterpieces, FF series, tales, fallout, planescape etc
dark souls is japanese breh

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Both cultures got their strengths but Japanese games are rarely released unfinished (at best unpolished) and don't feature microtransactions.

This alone puts Japanese games > western games right now.
Loot boxes literally started in Japan.

King

The black man is always targeted.
Daps
Idk, honestly I hated Japanese game design

Always really restricted in terms of camera and movement. Add in complicated ass game features for no reason - ehh never really fukked with it

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
Both cultures got their strengths but Japanese games are rarely released unfinished (at best unpolished) and don't feature microtransactions.

This alone puts Japanese games > western games right now.
Yeah this

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
While west got good stories sometimes it feels like they on their
imadult.png

CodeKansas

Superstar
Daps
In terms of gameplay mechanics, Japan still rules. In terms of visuals/story, West coast the best coast.

If you would've asked me this question 15-20 years ago, I would've said Japan makes better everything. The West finally got serious about games at some point, and now I find myself having a nice split between the two nowadays.

StatUS

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere
Loot boxes =/= microtransactions
If they have to be purchased they are. Regardless Capcom, Square, and Koei Tecmo have dipped their toes in that water. They aren't on the level of Ubisoft, Take Two, or EA though.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
japanese developers and it's not even close, most of their cases don't even have half the budgets of western releases and they do more

western developers focus on cinematic presentation first and story, and never polish the game mechanics, they are also clunky and the animations are always janky

sucker punch the only western studio that has improved with every game and tighten up the controls to make them smooth