Jamaicans tell the truth on how Black Americans gave them rhyming, and two turntables

truth2you

All Star
Daps
I've never heard a Jamaican claim hip hop is Jamaican in my life. Coli brehs stay triggered by this issue BECAUSE they hate immigrants. Same reason a few brehs on this board hate on NY hip hop because all the rappers were not ADOS.

Hip Hop is an American art form. The most the history ever said was it has influences from dancehall culture never that it was actually Jamaican. influence is not origin... How come the people that were in NY not triggered by this?

thecoli.dumb
there are no lies. no Jamaicans ever claim hip hop. y'all stay mad over nothing :laff:
See, you are arguing and still saying nothing

Even influence didn’t happen when it came to ADOS. The video shuts all the myths down, but you don’t care about that, you just want to fight

truth2you

All Star
Daps
hiphop influenced dancehall music; not the other way around
See, didn’t I say some will still tell lies?

people like him is why I can’t do the pan African stuff. It’s not based on truth, just how you feel.

think about it, you have people who started sound system culture in Jamaica telling you they were influenced by, and even emulated,ADOS, not the other way around, yet we have someone arguing about it.

You can’t make this shut up!

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
See, you are arguing and still saying nothing

Even influence didn’t happen when it came to ADOS. The video shuts all the myths down, but you don’t care about that, you just want to fight

lol @ the video shuts all that shyt down... how? its a video of someone saying what you want to hear as opposed to someone who said the opposite of that on Drink Champs. The video is in fact debating the topic not shutting it down because it can't. It's 2 people with 2 different stories. Obviously you pick the narrative you like and say this is it.

BUT like I said no person that was actually in the NY scene is a pioneer in rap has any issues with the origin story of rap. just nikkaz that wasn't there and not even born.

ya i'm rocking with the pioneers on this one...

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Jamaicans didn't mislead anybody :duck:

fake OUTRAGE fake beef... more diapora :slapfight:

:martin: Dude, I'm not going back and forth with you over this: Jamaicans/Jamaica have been at it for years

Carolyn Cooper | Reclaiming the Jamaican roots of hip hop

the origin story came from NY from the people who were present and they have never taken issue with Kool Herc. Just some triggered folks online with a general bias against *foreign brehs. not even Kool Herc himself wrote that origin story. You are scapegoating them

that's why we got OLD cats like U Roy trying to make a claim w/o realizing the reason why he started toasting

---->dude said toasting started in Jamaica in the 1960s and then said it's older than rapping in hiphop of the 1970's. He must not realize that jamaican toasting and hiphop rapping are from the same AMERICAN root:myman:

Jocko-Henderson-750x499.jpg

^^^who Jamaican toasters were listing to on USAmerican radio in the 1950s

Last edited:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
:martin: Dude, Im not ging back and forth with you over this: Jamaicans/Jamaica have been at it for years

Carolyn Cooper | Reclaiming the Jamaican roots of hip hop

that's why we got OLD cats like U Roy trying to make a claim w/o realizing the reason why he started toasting

---->dude said toasting strated in Jamaica in the 1960s and then said it's older than rapping in hiphop of the 1970's. He must not realize that jamaican toasting and hiphop rapping are from the same AMERICAN root:myman:

Jocko-Henderson-750x499.jpg

^^^who Jamaican tosters were listing too on USAmerican radio in the 1950s

revisionist hsitory

you can claim your influence over all their music but they had none on yours basically :duck:

this isn't a music thread and I'm sure we all know that.

y'all stay triggered :salute:

you the same breh that tried to tell me that American music is the most influential in Africa :laff:

Jamaican music is... nobody that has ever lived/spent a day in Africa would claim otherwise. that has simply not been the case since the 60-70's

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
:russell:artists influence each other. the influence went across both ways. put your pride to the side.

I'm talking about the origin of the genre; not the fusion efforts that came later. Rapping music is older than Dancehall music: Repost

The emceeing (the rapping) part of grime is something transfered over from dancehall and Jamaica's sound system culture.
Deejay (Jamaican) - Wikipedia

Not quite....for one the toasting (freelanced style) in Jamaica owes it origin to Afram jive/radio dj's and then the modern Deejay style (more syncopated) was influenced by early HipHop

..........then they heard American Rap in the late 1970's

...and then in the early 1980's modern jamaican dancehall was born when they started using HipHop-Rap style syncopation to the beat when the jamaica toasting was always freelanced/not relating directly to the beat

this is basically all confirmed by Supercat

Supercat basically hints at it here

Super Cat was saying specifically that Rappers Delight was HUGE in Jamaica.

@2:23

shouts to @The Ruler 09 for posting that.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I'm talking about the origin of the genre; not the fusion efforts that came later. Rapping music is older than Dancehall music: Repost

Not quite....for one the toasting (freelanced style) in Jamaica owes it origin to Afram jive/radio dj's and then the modern Deejay style (more syncopated) was influenced by early HipHop

this is basically all confirmed by Supercat

Supercat basically hints at it here
now it's origin not influence. I said in my first post nobody has disputed the origins of rap music being American. It can still have influences from everywhere.

you want to insert your credits in their culture but give them none on your side so you are shifting and moving goal posts when convenient. enjoy talking in circles.

truth2you

All Star
Daps
now it's origin not influence. I said in my first post nobody has disputed the origins of rap music being American. It can still have influences from everywhere.

you want to insert your credits in their culture but give them none on your side so you are shifting and moving goal posts when convenient. enjoy talking in circles.
Because it didn’t happen until the late 80’s

the question is why are you so mad at the truth?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
revisionist hsitory

no revision at all

you can claim your influence over all their music but they had none on yours basically :duck:

All facts...ADOS wasn't listening to any Jamaican music like that:russ:

this isn't a music thread and I'm sure we all know that.

y'all stay triggered :salute:

you the same breh that tried to tell me that American music is the most influential in Africa :laff:

I don't remember having that convo with you (it's true....ados music has been in africa since the 1800s; word to that Lion Sleeeping:pachaha:):patrice:

Jamaican music is... nobody that has ever lived/spent a day in Africa would claim otherwise. that has simply not been the case since the 60-70's

you want to have that convo, we can do it in another thread:ufdup:

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Because it didn’t happen until the late 80’s

the question is why are you so mad at the truth?
i'm not mad at all... what I see in this thread

acronym gang claim influence in Jamaican music from ska, reggae to dancehall

what I also see in this thrread

acronym gang claim Jamaicans have no influence whatsoever on American musical culture

:skip:

who's mad? I'm not the one with an agenda

it's a reason the only posters in here are the diaspora war brehs... like I said this ain't a music thread, y'all ain't slick. someone was triggered by that Drink Champs interview and went and found some obscure retort video to feel better and here we are so who's mad? :pachaha:

Wildhundreds

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
you got receipts that would prove that I've encountered Jamaicans who claim hip hop is theirs? are you even being serious right now... stop being triggered for a second and think about what you wrote. :dahell:

nah Jamaicans don't claim hip hop. y'all just love drama.

like nobody is fighting over this except people that don't like foreign brehs...

People over look the words "I've never" whenever someone writes something here.. They just hop straight to the emotions..

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps

It's always been about the origin; this is the claim of Jamaicans

Jamaica had no popular music until the 1960s after imitating R&B and birthing Ska

What we now know as rapping and then/hiphop was in America before Reggae and Dancehall were even a thing

rapping 1920s

funk(y) beat + rapping = hiphop 1960s

djing with 2 tables and a mixer never existed in Jamaica prior to American disco; what people wrongly credit herc with was already a disco djing staple-exactly where Herc got the idea

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
All black cultures in the diaspora are amazing but African Americans are just giants and head and shoulders above everybody I mean something as simple as how our women twerk and move their bodies like water and a African chick with a nice ass look stiff compared to them:yeshrug: