Jamaica bans music that glorifies drug use and violence

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The whole ban is stupid and it is equally idiotic for people to use Hip Hop as this scapegoat to shied the real issues:

1) Why do youth have access to guns in the first place?

2) What is influencing the content in the music in the first place?

If we remove Hip Hop from the equation, the negative influences, conditions, and climates for Black death still remain. Why? Because it all predates Hip Hop. Gang culture was here before Hip Hop. All these drugs that people use predate Hip Hop.

Furthermore, we need to examine why minds are weak enough to follow or fall into something just because they heard it in a song. Even still, without the influence of a song, there is still peer pressure, which is far more influential. If people in your peer group are doing something negative and they are pressuring you to do it, you're more likely to participate because these are friends and there's the risk of losing that friendship by not complying. You're not getting that from a song, movie or a video game.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Constitution tells us we have the right to bear arms. Their are gun laws in place that literally make it easy to bear arms. These laws are justified as a means of defense, but murder in a lot of cases isn't self defense.

People would rather ban Hip Hop, but aren't looking at the big picture. Furthermore, a lot of the rhetoric that people use against Hip Hop empowers racists. How? Because racists will argue that "look, even they think it's more destructive than racism to their own people". And that very argument has been used before.

Bruce LeRoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY
I don't like Trap, Drill or any of that bullshyt at all but this is a slippery slope here. You start banning these type of lyrics/songs and folks will blindly get behind it because they hate that type of music.... but then they use that same logic to justify banning artist who criticize the government or anyone in a position of power under the guise of it "promoting or inciting violence".

Sindicated

Knowledge is the Greatest gift
Daps
Reppin
opus dei
I want the same people happy about this to stop watching Game Of Thrones, The Wire, Power, or any other violent show. I want them to stop playing Call Of Duty, Resident Evil, Doom, Battlefield. Or any other type of violent game. Let’s take all the violence out of superhero movies as well. No more horror movies either. Let’s ban all action movies that have violence and cursing in it.
This is a bullshyt take, you got kids calling themselves DEMONS because their favorite rapper does it, you got kids beefing over clout.

The fact that yall are middle aged men fighting for the right of Black kids to rap about killing each other is disgusting, i really can’t even call yall men cuz to many still have the mentality of a little boy.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Malcolm said in ballot or bullet. That we would be criminalized, our culture and entire existence will be criminalized, then they will jail you. And use the system to keep you as a slave. They killed hiim. AND IT HAPPEN.

You think that Malcolm X would defend anti black negative content?

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My take on it is that the issue isn’t hiphop itself, it’s gang culture. And the lines between entertainment and reality have become less distinct.

Like back in the 80s and 90s, rappers might have been affiliated but they didn’t really set trip on record, maybe a little but not like today. They were smart enough to seperate the street shyt from the music.

Like Eazy-E was a well known crip in Compton but he wasn’t shouting crip on records, he was shouting NWA. Mobb Deep’s music was violent, but Mobb Deep was a crew, not a gang. Murda INC was affiliated with Supreme but they wasn’t repping Supreme Team on tracks.

Rappers saw the music industry as a way out of the street shyt. They might have repped the street life but they did it in a way that separates the music from the streets. Their rap groups/crews didn’t share the same name as their gangs. They never referenced real opps in tracks. They didn’t detail real crimes. They used artistry to speak on that life without detailing real situations and people.

These days, kids be repping their gangs in songs, sending straight up death threats, rapping about their opps, rapping about real life murders and putting the names of their dead enemies in songs. They ain’t being artistic, they are just straight up set tripping.

And you can say “what about violent movies and video games”, yeah but those are actors, with scripts. That shyt is all fake. This music shyt, especially today, is real gang members rapping about real shyt. Some of em really got bodies. A lot of em really got cases and be in and out of jail. It’s realer. It might be the realest form of “entertainment”. These kids took “keep it real” and made it “keep it 100% real”, there is no room for artistry.

And I kind of blame my own generation because it was 90s cats that really pushed the violent “realism” that influenced the younger generation. But there were rules to it. There was a separation and it was important. Part of it came from not wanting to fukk up the money, but a lot of these young kids today see more money in street shyt than rapping

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
This is a bullshyt take, you got kids calling themselves DEMONS because their favorite rapper does it, you got kids beefing over clout.

The fact that yall are middle aged men fighting for the right of Black kids to rap about killing each other is disgusting, i really can’t even call yall men cuz to many still have the mentality of a little boy.
The slang came from the streets first. U nikkas out of touch and ain’t outside so u can’t see that. Hip hop takes from the streets. Not the other way around. Y’all need to get that thru ur skulls.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Mfs be trying to lie and say music doesn't influence ppl...JUST BECAUSE YOUR NOT INFLUENCED DOESNT MEAN THAT LITTLE KIDS ARENT DIXKHEADS
Maybe parents need to raise their fukking kids better if something as small as music can make them commit MURDER. U ain’t telling me shyt when I have a whole generation of people I grew up around that ain’t criminals based on no damn music that had the same themes yall complaining about today. My older cousin is a successful stock broker who’s basically rich. He escaped building 2 of 9/11 before it collapsed because he worked out of the World Trade Center at the time. Even today he does shyt like plays golf with Micheal Jordan. nikka was a whole rapper in the 90s on some street shyt and still till this day loves street hip hop. If u met him u would NEVER think so. That’s cause he was raised right.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Let's ban Alachol! That for sure make people stop drinking and will get rid of societies ills!
Research the cause and effects of the prohibition era bro. That fear mongering started SELFISHLY by Henry Ford created a chain reaction that has effected the WORLD negatively till this day and in plethora of ways. People are fukking stupid and refuse to learn from the past.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

None of that demon talk started with Hip Hop though. There's a whole purple demon emoji that is used all over social media. Go to social media and people call themselves demons and act like having demons is a good thing posting crap like "let my demons play with yours". And I will say it again, social media is bigger than Hip Hop. Children have their faces buried in these phones and they ain't listening to music. They are on social media browsing, which influences their esteem, body image, philosophies, and lifestyles. There are paid influencers on social media creating standards by which people live. When those standards aren't met, people are literally killing themselves.

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
I don't like Trap, Drill or any of that bullshyt at all but this is a slippery slope here. You start banning these type of lyrics/songs and folks will blindly get behind it because they hate that type of music.... but then they use that same logic to justify banning artist who criticize the government or anyone in a position of power under the guise of it "promoting or inciting violence".
Let me guess, you like mafioso and boom bap

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps

You dudes stay exposing yourselves