Jamaica bans music that glorifies drug use and violence

Juneya

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Panola Road
You think that Malcolm X would defend anti black negative content?
Black cuture is not anti black. Rap music is not anti black negative content. And I dont care if he does or not, tbh. Creative writing is creative writing. I dont need malcolm to defend it, I defend it.

Juneya

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Panola Road
None of that demon talk started with Hip Hop though. There's a whole purple demon emoji that is used all over social media. Go to social media and people call themselves demons and act like having demons is a good thing posting crap like "let my demons play with yours". And I will say it again, social media is bigger than Hip Hop. Children have their faces buried in these phones and they ain't listening to music. They are on social media browsing, which influences their esteem, body image, philosophies, and lifestyles. There are paid influencers on social media creating standards by which people live. When those standards aren't met, people are literally killing themselves.
Our culture is not limited to music. Our culture is present beyond music, our cultures presence on social media is large and valuable.
THis is why I dont refer to our culture as hip hop, it places it in this box. When its way bigger than the box. Its our culture, its not different from jazz and soul and blues etc.

All that to say, you dont have to justify our culture. its topics or the words it uses. Its culture. Its art. Its creative writing. They can say demon if you want. Be a father to your kids and music wont have a bigger influence than their dad.

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
and even that started because rappers made it cool for him to cope with his problems that way. He OD'd on pills but he had wild codeine in his system too. If you watched his doc, the lean is what was getting everyone worried about him.

Just to clarify, I'm not for this ban and I'm sure Jamaica will let the anti-gay stuff slide (damn near like banning country music here).
Juice WRLD said himself future inspired him to do drugs lol

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Economic insecurity is a far bigger cause of violence than any music. We see this in countries across the world.

I still don't believe this will make any meaningful change in Jamaica's crime problem.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
Economic insecurity is a far bigger cause of violence than any music. We see this in countries across the world.

I still don't believe this will make any meaningful change in Jamaica's crime problem.

There's no suggestion that this is supposed to be or meant as a catchall fix to address crime. It's one measure to signal to the public that the state does not agree that anti-social content should be normalized or incentivized with airplay.

Doctor Wily

CapcomSwag
Daps
Some of the best music that's come out in the past 2 years in dancehall has been about this very same topic.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
There's no suggestion that this is supposed to be or meant as a catchall fix to address crime. It's one measure to signal to the public that the state does not agree that anti-social content should be normalized or incentivized with airplay.
"Authorities in power believe that this ban will help the efforts to reduce gun violence in Jamaica."

No, that was exactly the point.

It won't make any material difference until they fix the relatively high levels of unemployment and economic hardship on the island.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
"Authorities in power believe that this ban will help the efforts to reduce gun violence in Jamaica."

No, that was exactly the point.

It won't make any material difference until they fix the relatively high levels of unemployment and economic hardship on the island.

"Help the efforts"

"Help the efforts"

"Help the efforts"

this means that this measure is merely a component to help in the other efforts to reduce gun violence in Jamaica.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
"Help the efforts"

"Help the efforts"

"Help the efforts"

this means that this measure is merely a component to help in the other efforts to reduce gun violence in Jamaica.
It's not going to work. Again, they've tried this before.

If you have any evidence that this is going to contribute to any meaningful improvement in those efforts I'd like to see them.

Otherwise, its reactionary censorship meant to cover for policy failures elsewhere.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
It's not going to work. Again, they've tried this before.

If you have any evidence that this is going to contribute to any meaningful improvement in those efforts I'd like to see them.

Otherwise, its reactionary censorship meant to cover for policy failures elsewhere.

Again, you're missing that this is only a component in larger efforts to reduce crime.

But lets say it does NOTHING to reduce crime, it is still a net positive because the content they are banning literally glorifies drug use and violence. That alone is worth it.