Albums J. Cole - The Off-Season (Discussion Thread)

dubsmith_nz

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Aotearoa
I need to give this more time to marinate but off first listen this could be a top 3 cole album to me.

The features and outside production were refreshing and it felt like this gave him more time to just focus on his raps.

I haven't heard him this hungry with his bars since Friday Night Lights. As a long time Cole fan its great to hear him deliver such a hard album after all these years.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The Cole criticism is always a 180 from previous criticism every project. I've been said that my main issue with Cole is that his sound was becoming stagnant and that he needs to work with other artists, producers and musicians to switch up his sound. I even would ask the question... Does Cole even have fun making music anymore?

I've been saying that since FHD through KOD. The whole, "He went platinum with NO FEATURES MEME" was a detriment to the music cause he wasn't really taking risks IMO, he was comfortable. My take on him was accurate because he's admitted to this on the documentaries that he's released for the last 2 projects (the Dreamville album and now this one). "Do I really want to look back years from now and say, damn, you didn't work with nobody???"

Now I'm seeing people say, "It doesn't sound like an album tho, more like a mixtape"
:mjlol:

The only reason we fukk with J. Cole to begin with is because of his mixtapes
:heh:

Literally, his last 2 albums were conceptual projects. Can this nikka just make some dope songs and put it out? Everything doesn't have to have some higher story arc to it, and really it still ties into his mixtape titles and themes with basketball. He was tapping in and flexing his skills, experimenting with flows, sharpening his pen game etc. Cole is rapping better right now than he ever has. On top of that, his song making ability is much better. The hooks and melodies sound better and his lyrics have been tight over the last few years (4YEO, KOD, the features run he went on and The Dreamer's album... when has Cole lyrically been better?). 4YEO and KOD weren't my favorite projects from him, but lyrically he was damn good on both of them. Now he's making better songs overall.

He used to have SOOOOO many cringy filler bars to the point that I made this thread...

https://www.thecoli.com/threads/j-cole-quotables-thread.281509/
:lolbron:

I've been a harsh critic on bro over the years, I also put plenty of friends on to him when he first came out. He found his lane, got better at making songs, and cut down on the BS corny ass bars and is in peak form.

Name another rapper who's lyricism improved this much over time?

Cᵣₐₛₕ&ₜₕₑCₒᵤₚ

____ exposing themselves
Daps
100 mil goesss

Edit: Cole's breath control has really improved. Dude is harmonizing & transitioning to rapping, flowing easy on some Drake s***. One of my biggest pet peeves in recent rap is the cut & paste style that dudes like DaBaby be doing. If every other bar dudes doing that nonstop I can't even consider them a rapper.

Last edited:

BlackXCL

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
t.
Listened once but I have the same issue I have with all new music nowadays.

LET THE fukkING MUSIC PLAY. LET THE BEAT RIDE OUT. WHY ARE SONGS SO fukkING SHORT?

DO YALL PRODUCERS JUST NOT WANT US TO RIDE TO YOUR shyt? BOPING MY HEAD THEN *CUT* BEATS DONE. SONGS OVER. LET THAT shyt RIDE OUT.

How you work for years on a album and have some songs with 1 verse and a sudden end?

Im sick of it. fukking lazy.

CourtesyFlush

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

LET THE fukkING MUSIC PLAY. LET THE BEAT RIDE OUT. WHY ARE SONGS SO fukkING SHORT?

DO YALL PRODUCERS JUST NOT WANT US TO RIDE TO YOUR shyt? BOPING MY HEAD THEN *CUT* BEATS DONE. SONGS OVER. LET THAT shyt RIDE OUT.

How you work for years on a album and have some songs with 1 verse and a sudden end?

Agreed man. This new trend of short songs pisses me off

Travelnomad

Banned
Daps

I remember Michael Rocks said this a while back , people attention span aren’t good enough for a 3 or 5 minute song . That’s why he try to keep at 2 and call it a day . I wanted another verse on Punchin the Clock and applying pressure

UserNameless

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Everywhere...You never there.
I remember Michael Rocks said this a while back , people attention span aren’t good enough for a 3 or 5 minute song . That’s why he try to keep at 2 and call it a day . I wanted another verse on Punchin the Clock and applying pressure

If he woulda given Punchin the Clock another verse , it coulda likely been his best song ever . At least a song with his best content ever.

Cam needed a 16. Shyt Fukk it , an 8 at least . But it was cool to hear him in the capacity he was used . And again , I don’t think a few of you understand the difference between songs having a similar tone and mood as opposed to album cohesion .

but keep tryin, tho ... :usure:

8 of 10 , 4.25 outta 5 :manny:

Excellent work , Cole.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps

Shorter songs = more streams

Po pimp

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town

I swear. I remember three verses was the standard back in the day for a song (solo artists).

Surreal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Low-key this nikka screams as much as Meek but can't make better albums than him :mjlol: