J. Cole - Might Delete Later (Discussion Thread)

Cynic

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This sounds pre-mediated - from Big Sean to Futures album to this new album.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I disagree, Jay was cocky and arrogant as fukk thinking he could kill shot both Nas AND Mobb Deep within the same song just because he was so confident Nas was going to fold on the Carmen shyt. Its extremely obvious that Jay had zero contingency plan, which is why he was sputtering and stuttering live on the radio after Ether napalmed not only him, but his whole crew (as confirmed by Dame Dash, Beanie Sigel, and Memphis Bleek). Jay-Z completely underestimated one of the greatest MC’s of all time. Like seriously Jay was such a fan of Illmatic and Nas in general but he couldn’t foresee that the man who wrote that album at the age of SEVENTEEN would have something for him? The only thing Jay did “right” was setting the beef off at Summerjam and having the pictures of Prodigy as a kid in the Michael Jackson “ballerina” suit.

After that he should have had a plan for a full on, no-holds barred war with Nas and Nas only, ESPECIALLY after the Stillmatic Freestyle (which he tried to have pulled from Hot 97) proved that Nas still had more than enough in the lyrical tank to take him on.

Jay handled that entire battle poorly and Nas exposed him.

The same will NOT happen to Cole I guarantee it. Cole isn’t trying to be Jay in this situation even if he used some of the Taleover bars. There’s a reason he dropped an entire project and not just a diss. There’s a reason he threw some real shots, enough to engage but not emptying the clip, because he’s baiting Kendrick himself and sending a warning that he’s ready to back up his number 1 claims not just with a diss, but also great music as well. Who else did just that? NAS with Stillmatic. Ether wouldn’t have been as potent or long lasting if the album it was attached to wasn’t a classic. If Kendrick goes all in on Cole after 7 Minute Drill then Cole’s response will be included on The Fall Off, and THAT response will be his “Ether” equivalent

Jay was cocky and arrogant but he also dropped a brick house on Mobb and Nas. It would have ended anyone else, but Nas ate that shyt and we all know what happened next. Whether looking at it in hindsight in 2024 or in 2001/2002....Jay's move made sense. Drop a kill shot, end it with a preview of what's coming next, and if Nas fights back you drop another kill shot with the Carmen shyt. Point is I'm not docking Jay points just because Nas is superhuman lol.

Jay understood he had to annihilate Nas, and felt he had ammo. Getting back to this situation...Cole isn't a killer like that, and Kendrick only has one weakness (his previous album). Not a lot of people rocking with this "TPAB was trash" shyt. Even Cole fukked with that album at the time. So you basically got a dude with three classics, one eh album, no scandals, no real flaws as a rapper...where is the angle, besides some personal shyt we wouldn't be privy to? Surely not some relationship shyt. Both those dudes were cheating on their girls for years before confessing on albums lol.

You can't "don't make me do it" to a nikka who has no conscious, rap wise because he's gonna do it without hesitation. That's my problem with this whole shyt. It's the same criticism I had of Drake for a decade. You can't jab Kendrick, you gotta kill him. And you SURE as fukk can't let him go first, which is what Cole is doing here. Kendrick is gonna push the envelope, there will be no "I fukk with that nikka but..." shyt. And given the weaknesses Cole has...I just don't like this position for him.

Maybe Kendrick fukks up the diss and I look stupid. But I seriously, seriously doubt that happens.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
After a 3rd listen, Fever, HYB, Stealth Mode and the first half of 7 Minute Drill are the ones I won’t come back to. Don’t care for Central Cee at all, nor that UK rap in general. Fire album besides those and I could see this one actually having replay value, unlike most of Cole’s releases.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
This album is phenomenal. I've listened to it like 6-7 times. I LOVE it.
Album is definitely top tier. All these mid to trash albums dropping left and right & we have all of this J Cole slander as if he isn’t clearly An elite lyricist who slaughters beats left & right. Production is phenomenal on this album.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
Am I the only one who thinks Cole actually went there? That wasn't light to me, he critiqued Kendrick in a way I haven't heard any other rapper do. For years, Kendrick has been untouchable, but Cole just shattered that perception in three minutes. :whoo:

If this is just a warning shot, I don't want to see what Cole's going to do if he really tries. :picard:
His stans are losing their mind over the TPAB slander and glossing over taking shots at MM&TBS and the dope verse every 30 months

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Jay was cocky and arrogant but he also dropped a brick house on Mobb and Nas. It would have ended anyone else, but Nas ate that shyt and we all know what happened next. Whether looking at it in hindsight in 2024 or in 2001/2002....Jay's move made sense. Drop a kill shot, end it with a preview of what's coming next, and if Nas fights back you drop another kill shot with the Carmen shyt. Point is I'm not docking Jay points just because Nas is superhuman lol.

Jay understood he had to annihilate Nas, and felt he had ammo. Getting back to this situation...Cole isn't a killer like that, and Kendrick only has one weakness (his previous album). Not a lot of people rocking with this "TPAB was trash" shyt. Even Cole fukked with that album at the time. So you basically got a dude with three classics, one eh album, no scandals, no real flaws as a rapper...where is the angle, besides some personal shyt we wouldn't be privy to? Surely not some relationship shyt. Both those dudes were cheating on their girls for years before confessing on albums lol.

You can't "don't make me do it" to a nikka who has no conscious, rap wise because he's gonna do it without hesitation. That's my problem with this whole shyt. It's the same criticism I had of Drake for a decade. You can't jab Kendrick, you gotta kill him. And you SURE as fukk can't let him go first, which is what Cole is doing here. Kendrick is gonna push the envelope, there will be no "I fukk with that nikka but..." shyt. And given the weaknesses Cole has...I just don't like this position for him.

Maybe Kendrick fukks up the diss and I look stupid. But I seriously, seriously doubt that happens.

See thats the thing though

Cole doesn’t have many weaknesses either, matter of fact Cole has more angles to go at Kendrick than Kendrick has to go at Cole.

Kendrick’s first mainstream single was produced by Cole. Cole can come at the angle that Kendrick “ran” to him “hands out begging”’for a “hit” when he supposedly had Dr Dre in his corner

Its been confirmed that Cole fought Diddy on behalf of Kendrick at an industry party when Diddy was drunk and mad about the “King Of New York” line from the Control verse. Cole can flip that into “this lil bytch nikka needed me to defend him when Diddy about to diddler him”

There was ONE potential scandal regarding Kendrick getting drunk and beating up some woman in a hotel room back in 2014. Its been pretty much wiped from the internet BUT if there’s any truth to it whatsoever Cole can unearth those claims to attack Kendrick’s “Pro Woman” stances and make him look like a hypocrite

Kendrick made some pretty poor comments regarding racism and police brutality right before TPAB dropped. His comments, though well intentioned and even understandable given where he’s from and the amount of black on black crime he’s undoubtedly witnessed, came dangerously close to “respectability politics”

"I wish somebody would look in our neighborhood knowing that it's already a situation, mentally, where it's f---ked up. What happened to [Michael Brown] should've never happened. Never. But when we don't have respect for ourselves, how do we expect them to respect us? It starts from within. Don't start with just a rally, don't start from looting -- it starts from within."

People forget these comments weren’t taken too well by the populace at the time and directly led to Kendrick’s handlers limiting his public exposure and straight up forbidding interviewers to ask him any political and/or racial questions in the future. After that Kendrick went the religious rout, speaking more on God and spirituality than racism (speaking on God and embracing christianity historically shields you from criticism) Then he went the Israelite “Black People are a CURSED people” route and everybody let him slide on that bullshyt but again, if Cole is clever enough he can bring that up and point out that even as an interracial man with a white mother, Cole has presented himself as more unabashedly and CONSISTENTLY pro-black than Kendrick, highlighting Kendrick’s hypocrisies and making his carefully maintained persona look fraudulent and phony.

Finally there’s the whole Mr Morale & The Big Steppers angle. I personally really love that album and like i said before its success speaks for itself. But if Cole REALLY wanted to go there and dissect Kendrick as a man he could again use that album and its premise to point out and attack Kendrick’s hypocrisies. Kendrick claimed to have reached a form of enlightenment during that album that put him “above” the toxicity of black and hip hop culture. He DIRECTLY attacked and spoke against several elements of the culture that were destructive to our communities and yet he wants to come outside and engage and participate in those destructive elements? You wanna attack other successful black men? Claim your going to use gun violence against them? Say your number 1 AFTER your last album cast that type of competition and debate in a childish light? Is it Oochie Wally Wally or is it One Mic? Is it your the number 1 rapper or your running away from the culture to save your own life?

There ARE ways to dissect Kendrick personally, his career, and his inherent conflicts and hypocrisies. Before Mr Morale Kendrick FULLY embraced his status as Hip Hop Jesus with very very little in the way of anyone questioning him as a person, because if you REALLY dig deep you realize he’s more hypocritical and wishy washy than Jay could EVER have accused Nas of being. All Cole has to do is take some of that and use it to dismantle the mythology thats been built around Kendrick. And if he REALLY wanted to get bloody he could delve into some of TDE’s skeletons (Kendrick complained about not being properly compensated before Top Dawg shut him up by giving him a piece of the company) and “expose” the whole crew for not being what they claim.

Cole has proven he’s talented enough to give Kendrick problems. This entire album is a warning to Kendrick that he’s got the Leroy Glow and won’t go down without landing HEAVY blows. This board and Kendrick himself would do well to not underestimate a nikka that loves rap so much he’s probably the most improved hip hop artist of ALL TIME. If anyone should be learning from what Jay-Z did wrong in his battle with Nas, its Kendrick right now.

Last edited: