ivy league vs hbcu

Colin X

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Auburn
Y'all are talkin about PWIs in general, and for the most part i agree with what y'all sayin.

But Ivy League schools aren't just "regular" PWIs.

A breh who does AMAZING at a school like Harvard or Princeton will most likely leave college in a better place than a breh who did great at like, Alabama State :manny:

For the regular PWIs like.... Bama or Georgia, yeah you'd prolly be better off at a HBCU tbh.

But if you turnin down Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc. to go to fukkin Alabama State you made a bad choice. :manny:

If you go to Howard, Morehouse, Hampton, etc. I can't really blame you.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
It's no comparison, hbcus shyt on a pwi if it's not a top 25 type of school for Blacks. Of course, I wouldn't go to the Miles College of the world either

HBCUs having smaller class sizes allow for a more personable experience, like I mentioned prior the ONLY thing HBCUs cant compete with is things like Facilities and research opportunities.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Okay to be transparent before I start this, I got accepted to Howard University in high school. So I respect Howard university, and other comparable HBCU's. But the connections at Columbia are just too good to pass up. A lot of people seem to have the perception that every IVY league is a PWI. That's not really true. If I'm correct Columbia white population is in the 40 percent range. I know for a fact the black population at Columbia is around 13-15 percent. My cousin goes to Columbia university and has never felt more at home. I think having a Columbia degree is so powerful in society that it's not something to dismiss. Howard and Morehouse are dope, but Columbia is Columbia breh.

Edit: I knew I was right.

STUDENTS
Ethnicity of Students from U.S. 2.7% American Indian/Alaskan Native
25.7% Asian
13.3% Black/African-American
13.7% Hispanic/Latino
40.4% White
4.1% Unknown
13% isn't that much

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
13% isn't that much

The average undergraduate black population is 6 percent.

Actually here's a better way to look at this.

There's 30,000 students at Columbia university. 13 percent of that is 3900. That's a good number to build a black community in college.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
The average undergraduate black population is 6 percent.

Actually here's a better way to look at this.

There's 30,000 students at Columbia university. 13 percent of that is 3900. That's a good number to build a black community in college.
Columbia is seen as an international school. The Black population globally is higher than anyone else. 13% is not a lot.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
Columbia is seen as an international school. The Black population globally is higher than anyone else. 13% is not a lot.

So 3900 black people isn't good enough for you? :ld:I'm not sure what we are arguing here.

Anerdyblackguy

Supporter
Daps
No, especially considering the school population

Okay, that's your opinion.:manny:

But if I was ever blessed to go to Columbia for graduate school ( To late for undergrad). I'm going without any thought.:yeshrug:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
It's a lot of variables like if a black student from the hood gets accepted, they're getting a free ride with money to spare at Ivies. Research if one is into that. So, I'd lean toward an Ivy. Some HBCUs aren't slouches. Monica Pressley out of Howard Law is fierce.

jackson35

Banned
Daps
the majority of people on this board already knows hbcu out perform pwi, they just don't like to leave white people out of the circle.

Houston911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
the majority of people on this board already knows hbcu out perform pwi, they just don't like to leave white people out of the circle.

What do you mean by outperform?

A lot of companies recruit at hbcus to hit their diversity quotas. That doesn't necessarily mean that blacks at hbcus are better students than blacks who don't go to hbcus though.

BillBanneker

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What do you mean by outperform?

A lot of companies recruit at hbcus to hit their diversity quotas. That doesn't necessarily mean that blacks at hbcus are better students than blacks who don't go to hbcus though.

Yeah, if they're going by graduation rates it's the complete opposite concerning hbcus and ivy leagues.