ivy league vs hbcu

GoAggieGo.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
HBCU

Got both my undergrad and grad in engineering from NC A&T, and I’m doing well. Had job offers before I was finished with undergrad, and had offers when I finished my grad. Every person I can think of that I graduated with in the engineering program got jobs, and do very well for themselves.

I wouldn’t have done well at a PWI, or an Ivy League school at the time I was in school. I started off terribly in undergrad. I had a death in my family, and I just didn’t give a fukk about much of anything. Due to my class sizes being so small, my professors were able to get to know me on a more personal level. They knew I was smart, but was able to feel something was up so they stuck with me. There was a point where I was in the process of flunking out of the engineering program, but my professors as well as degree chairman looked out, and I wasn’t the only one they did this for. I got my act together and have made the school look good ever since. My brother goes to Miss State, and is in classes with one to two hundred people. I imagine it would be like this at most Ivy League schools. Having a professor get to know you becomes hard, as your pretty much a number to them. I would’ve been out after my one screw up.

I would always choose the HBCU.

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
HBCU

Got both my undergrad and grad in engineering from NC A&T, and I’m doing well. Had job offers before I was finished with undergrad, and had offers when I finished my grad. Every person I can think of that I graduated with in the engineering program got jobs, and do very well for themselves.

I wouldn’t have done well at a PWI, or an Ivy League school at the time I was in school. I started off terribly in undergrad. I had a death in my family, and I just didn’t give a fukk about much of anything. Due to my class sizes being so small, my professors were able to get to know me on a more personal level. They knew I was smart, but was able to feel something was up so they stuck with me. There was a point where I was in the process of flunking out of the engineering program, but my professors as well as degree chairman looked out, and I wasn’t the only one they did this for. I got my act together and have made the school look good ever since. My brother goes to Miss State, and is in classes with one to two hundred people. I imagine it would be like this at most Ivy League schools. Having a professor get to know you becomes hard, as your pretty much a number to them. I would’ve been out after my one screw up.

I would always choose the HBCU.

Yep you inspired me in the thread i made when you mentioned NCAT. What was your gpa for the undergraduate program when you got accepted at first? and for the graduate program also. I know i gotta shoot high anyway when i go into the graduate program when i leave PVAMU since NCAT acceptance rate is so strict but i just wanna get a general idea.

Great story though that is what i want one on one connection with people. Too many black folks caught up in just saying white is right and automatically believing PWIs are better and keep repeating this foolishness that Spelman, Howard and Morehouse are the only great HBCUs just because they are big. Meanwhile if you say you going to some small ass PWI nobody heard of they don't blink an eye because they don't hear the connotation of it being a Black college. The low self esteem is so sad.

I keep telling people its not just the fact that you are around your people but its the networking and connection you get and being in organizations that build your self esteem. Look at this organization i found out about yesterday when i was checking out what organizations are at PVAMU

Home page

That wont help build character rather than being the token black? Then you will have people say "Well you can go to a "regular college" that has mainly Black people but not officially an HBCU and its like :snoop:

People too worried about what people think of them and only focused on how they feel white people will view their degree rather than how it can build self esteem for communities

I already made a mental note to sign up for this organization when i go there along with NSBE. I've already been signed up with a Black bank(One United) since last year but as soon as i go to Prairie View i'm supporting whatever Houston businesses and banks are around. I'm focusing on building my self esteem from the HBCU experience not out here trying to satisfy white people.

btw i asked this in another thread, do you know what are some of the best HBCUs for education? Like early childhood education? I don't know for sure but i feel like my little sister would be into that. Just a guess from her personality even though she claims she don't know yet what she wants to do(she is 14)

CASHAPP

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Nikkas using "networking opportunities" to justify choosing an HBCU over a fukking Ivy League School. Really? Are y'all this tribalistic?

ill take a wild guess that you are a Black Foreigner. Its painfully obvious.

Big Blue

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
If economic mobility is your goal for college (and in today's job market, it should be) then you'd be a fool for not going to an Ivy League.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
My Pop graduated from Wharton and pledged Que, my Mom also went to Penn

He worked on Wall Street following graduation

Having an Ivy League background def helped them in life bc of the network they can tap into

If I could do it all over again, I would’ve went to Penn. The main reason I didn’t go there is bc I wanted to blaze my own trail. In hindsight, I’d be further ahead if I went to Wharton.

Last edited:

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
Depends on the major.

Engineering - HBCU
Business - HBCU (Ivy MBA)
Math/Science - Ivy
IT - Ivy

Everything else, HBCU