ivy league vs hbcu

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Um, Ivy League.
If we're talking getting into the absolute top of any field, the Ivy League and perhaps two other schools (Stanford and MIT) will put you there.
HBCUs are fantastic, and their heritage is undeniable, but in terms of academic rigor, sheer networking ability, and shaping of education, they're outdone by all the Ivies. I have friends at 5 of them, and friends at Howard, Morehouse, Spelman, Central State, and Clark.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Maybe them dudes didn't "network" good or just went to school and that was it. Nothing wrong with that either. Its not always some white people trying to hold you down. I find it hard to believe somebody is out there interacting, truly engaging with cats where they actually know/get to know them like that and nobody trying to look out. That's unrealistic regardless if its same race people you dealing with or not. I've rarely saw that at all even at Upenn.
I go to a 90+% small PWI, and have crazy connections from that, White people aren't stopping you from networking heavy at an Ivy League.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors..... my only thing is that I hear a lot of young guys talk about networking and connections at ivy league schools... but the few cats I know, or the ones I've known through association, never got plugged into anything simply by graduating from an ivy league school...

They ddin't know the dean personally, or have family members that made major financial contributions... bottom line they weren't able to tap into the wealth of that school like a legacy could.... or even a well off white student...

but this was 15-20 years ago... maybe things are different now.... :manny:
If they couldn't, it was a personal thing, as opposed to an institutional thing. You have to almost willingly work to avoid networking opportunities, and connections. Everyone you befriend might have a Fortune 500 CEO, law parter, neurosurgeon, Senator, parent.

Ms. Elaine

Spoiled Brat
Daps
Reppin
Avocado Toast
Ivy all day, especially the big 3 (Harvard, Yale and Princeton). Ain't even about the education, especially for undergrad. It's about the network, the connections and most employers are seduced by the shyt when they see it on the resume.

Also I gotta say that from my experience, black students prevent themselves from making the most out of going to these types of school by isolating themselves and only hanging out with each other for those 4+ years.

I don't care what someone's background is, if you've got 4 years (more for grad) to bond with someone, you can make that shyt happen. Only true cac friends I have were made in college -- it's no coincidence.

Also there is nothing that wows :mjpls: professors more than a very intelligent black person. People never take advantage of this. I was pretty much always at my favorite professors' office hours and hyped me up to other professors and people who could help me advance in my chosen field.

Last edited:

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
I go to a 90+% small PWI, and have crazy connections from that, White people aren't stopping you from networking heavy at an Ivy League.
Oh I know but people like to have "valid" excuses why stuff ain't popping. I will never say its not bullshyt going on at times but a lot of people honestly use it as a crutch. They use it more online IMO since unlike real life we can't validate people's individual claims. You ever notice cats don't kick that bullshyt offline you know that people online seem to? The reason being you can check their stuff more often than not so cats don't dare put themselves out there for being called a fraud but online that risk is dramatically reduced

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Ivy all day, especially the big 3 (Harvard, Yale and Princeton). Ain't even about the education, especially for undergrad. It's about the network, the connections and most employers are seduced by the shyt when they see it on the resume.

That's the most important factor. Hypothetically speaking if you don't network in college just having that name on your resume would speak volumes. It gives you the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If they couldn't, it was a personal thing, as opposed to an institutional thing. You have to almost willingly work to avoid networking opportunities, and connections. Everyone you befriend might have a Fortune 500 CEO, law parter, neurosurgeon, Senator, parent.

Before I engage.... How old are you?

Daps
Reppin
NULL

Also I gotta say that from my experience, black students prevent themselves from making the most out of going to these types of school by isolating themselves and only hanging out with each other for those 4+ years.

I don't care what someone's background is, if you've got 4 years (more for grad) to bond with someone, you can make that shyt happen. Only true cac friends I have were made in college -- it's no coincidence.

Also there is nothing that wows :mjpls: professors more than a very intelligent black person. People never take advantage of this. I was pretty much always at my favorite professors' office hours and hyped me up to other professors and people who could help me advance in my chosen field.

Your whole post should be ban worthy... let alone the bolded.... but I know this site will allow it..... :jawalrus:

and to make matters worse.... it was dapped by 2 so called brothers..... :smh: at least, that's what they project....... :sas2:

Ms. Elaine

Spoiled Brat
Daps
Reppin
Avocado Toast
Your whole post should be ban worthy... let alone the bolded.... but I know this site will allow it..... :jawalrus:

and to make matters worse.... it was dapped by 2 so called brothers..... :smh: at least, that's what they project....... :sas2:

My post was originally the first two sentences and that's what those two dapped. :stopitslime:

In any case, I stand by what I said. I'm speaking about my personal experiences at these type of schools; what the fukk is so ban worthy about that? :comeon:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
My post was originally the first two sentences and that's what those two dapped. :stopitslime:

In any case, I stand by what I said. I'm speaking about my personal experiences at these type of schools; what the fukk is so ban worthy about that? :comeon:

The fact that you play obtuse when it's blatantly obvious is even more insulting..... :francis: but that's how yall play......:martin:

Kwabena

I am STEM.
Daps
Reppin
Antibes
Nikkas using "networking opportunities" to justify choosing an HBCU over a fukking Ivy League School. Really? Are y'all this tribalistic?