ivy league vs hbcu

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)
For undergrad I would not anywhere but an HBCU. Black folks talk about PWI alumni bases as if those good ol boy circles are going to let you tap into that :mjlol:. Advance Degrees though go to the best program you can get into/afford/have someone else pay for.

This, I know a couple nikkas who went to UPenn for undergrad thinking those white folks were gonna look out for them
:francis:
TBH I think all schools across the nation from Juco's to Ivy League uses the same text books, same blackboard/moodle/bannerweb and pretty much use the same curriculum.

:yeshrug:
Grad school's shoot for the stars.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This, I know a couple nikkas who went to UPenn for undergrad thinking those white folks were gonna look out for them
TBH I think all schools across the nation from Juco's to Ivy League uses the same text books, same blackboard/moodle/bannerweb and pretty much use the same curriculum.

If your school is accredited then you are learning the same fundamental things, my undergrad business school has the same accredidation as Harvard as the ACSB is fhe gold standard business school accredidation. Where schools differ after that comes down to research programs and opportunities

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
HBCU, ive been around a lot of young folks who went to Howard, they all doing good, great jobs in their desired field. They all got a good support system of friends, who they can build with.

For most Black kids i really would recommend going to an HBCU over a PWI.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215

Maybe them dudes didn't "network" good or just went to school and that was it. Nothing wrong with that either. Its not always some white people trying to hold you down. I find it hard to believe somebody is out there interacting, truly engaging with cats where they actually know/get to know them like that and nobody trying to look out. That's unrealistic regardless if its same race people you dealing with or not. I've rarely saw that at all even at Upenn.

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
The way yall romanticize HBCUs is kinda off, there are like 4-5 HBCUs worth a damn. The rest of them are jokes of schools were you're paying the same as the best state school in your state to use ran down and old facilities.

And this is from somebody that's going back to school at TSU come summer. Asked some of my friends that were already going there how was it and they basically confirmed that it was a joke for academic purposes, "it got hoes though".

That there are high schools with better resources, and TSU is considered one of the "better" ones.

MajorVitaman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang (formerly Eastcoastnaga)
Maybe them dudes didn't "network" good or just went to school and that was it. Nothing wrong with that either. Its not always some white people trying to hold you down. I find it hard to believe somebody is out there interacting, truly engaging with cats where they actually know/get to know them like that and nobody trying to look out. That's unrealistic regardless if its same race people you dealing with or not. I've rarely saw that at all even at Upenn.

Yeah networking is key. I just noticed that some of my peers would go to a "prestigious" PWI and carry a smug aura as if all it takes to make it is to get the same magical degree that their white counter parts also got.

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
The way yall romanticize HBCUs is kinda off, there are like 4-5 HBCUs worth a damn. The rest of them are jokes of schools were you're paying the same as the best state school in your state to use ran down and old facilities.

And this is from somebody that's going back to school at TSU come summer. Asked some of my friends that were already going there how was it and they basically confirmed that it was a joke for academic purposes, "it got hoes though".

That there are high schools with better resources, and TSU is considered one of the "better" ones.
so a few of your bum friends told u something and u just run with it:wow:
i swear man

this why i just dont even take shyt yall say serious

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
i swear man

He not lying though so whats your point? For whatever reason are you really trying to say the avg hbcu is better than the state school race stuff aside?

ignorethis

RIP Fresh RIP Doe RIP Phat
Daps
i swear man

We're a group of friends that most of us have been gone to both PWI and HBCUs, HBCUs are far behind majority of the time.

That's that insecurity speaking, you feel like criticism of HBCUs is criticism of you or your intelligence. It's okay, just being honest about the quality of these schools.

Was considering Xavier but didn't wanna leave Texas. Xavier is one of the 4-5 that are worth a damn.

Birnin Zana

Honorary Wakandan
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
yea them too, their Business School is legit.

IMO it would be best if we consolidated the HBCUs we do have to about 5 universities, thus all of the resources could be used to competing but people are too caught up in not losing the individual history of each school, not realizing when you go to HBCUs nowadays majority of the Staff for the degrees worth a damn are not even being taught by blacks.

Most def agree with the bold. As is, there are too many HBCUs that simply won't stand a chance against flagship state-schools and PWIs. Consolidation will allow a pooling of resources, which will def help in the long term.

No reason for at least one HBCU to be able to compete against anyone across the board, both for undergrad and grad. Not saying its going to be easy, and it absolutely will not, but it needs to happen.