I’ve been sleeping on Rowing Machines. The GOAT overall workout.

invalid

Banned
Daps
Why do y'all call it the rowing machine?

It's called "the erg", short for ergometer.

If y'all serious, I'll post my winter erg workouts for y'all to do. Will get you in the shape of a rowing god by March.

2) I’m a rower. Rowed crew in college and currently row masters at a rowing club here in my city. I annually donate to BJC, Row New York, and Harlem Community Rowing - all non-profits introducing the sport of rowing to inner-city black kids.

I’m the second person.

6-C895-A4-A-58-BF-4758-ABFE-0-F9-D4337-D1-A5.jpg

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Imma definitely get one of these and report my results. I'm tryna get down or close to a six pack

Gloxina

Veteran
Daps
Why do y'all call it the rowing machine?

It's called "the erg", short for ergometer.

If y'all serious, I'll post my winter erg workouts for y'all to do. Will get you in the shape of a rowing god by March.
Please do!! I need a routine for the holiday/winter season. I need some motivation to switch it up

invalid

Banned
Daps
Please do!! I need a routine for the holiday/winter season. I need some motivation to switch it up

Our winter season when we're off the water goes from Nov-March. So the season has just started. Ideally, you should be accompanying the erg workouts with a weight training plan. I won't post our weight training plan because you're not training to be a rower but if you want me to send that to you I can. It's pretty extensive and intense. Our coach has sent folks to the Olympics....we're not training for that but you get the picture.

Monday
3 x 25', 5' Rest
Include 45"-60" speed bursts, 1 every 10'
Heart Rate 60% - 70%

To break this down if you're not familiar with how to read these workouts.

This is a 1.5 hour workout.
It includes 3 sets of 25 minute rows at a steady state pace (row at your own comfortable pace) with 5 minute rests between each of the sets.

However at every 10 minute mark, you want to do 45 seconds to a minute of speed burst or higher stroke rate. So if your steady state is 18 strokes per minute (spm) then you may want to do 30spm for the speed burst.

Tuesday

*Do your own weight training*

Erg: 30' include 2 x (6 x 20 strokes on, 20 easy @ 10/14/18/22/26/30)

This is a 30 minute workout after your weight training.

You should do 2 sets of the following -

20 strokes on (means full body power) and 20 strokes easy (30-50% body power) at the following stroke rates (speeds)-

10spm (So 20 full power strokes at 10spm then 20 easy strokes at 10spm)
14spm
18spm
22spm
26spm
30spm

Wednesday
15 minute warm up (steady state)
4 x (6 x 40" @ 30, 30" easy), 8" rest
15 minute warm down

So for this workout, you want to do four sets of the following:

40 second rows at a 30spm then 30 seconds easy.

Do the above six times then rest for eight minutes.

After that start your second set (remember you got four of them)

Thursday

*Do injury prevention circuits if you're doing weight training*

Erg: 4 x 8' @ 12, 2' rest

This is a 40 minute workout.
Do four sets of the following:
8 minutes at a 12 spm rate.
2 minutes rest

Friday

Off - Day of rest

Saturday

*Do your own weight training*

Erg: 30' include 2 x (6 x 20 strokes on, 20 easy @ 10/14/18/22/26/30)

Sunday

4 x 20', 5' rest
(9' @ 16, 1' easy, 6' @ 18, 1' easy, 3' @ 20)

Let me know if you could read the above.

These workouts will change every week.

Most important things to note, your weight training days may not be on the same days, just adjust the erg workouts that accompany the weight training on the same days you do yours.

You're also a woman so you may not be doing weight training so you can forget that all together.

The erg workouts will get progressively harder and more complex as the season progresses, so it's important that if you want to stick with this, try to do most of the workouts every week to build yourself up to what will eventually be a 2k and 6k test (I'll explain these later).

Also, take a look at youtube to learn the proper form. Doesn't matter what gym I go to, 99% of people are using the erg wrong and have bad form which can EASILY lead to injury.

Last edited:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I feel like I can row for an hour and still never get the movement down right. And it's too easy. I go to the gym and turn that thing all the way up and still row with ease. Maybe it's broken or something but I don't feel that tension like you do if you'd turn the level all the way up on the powerbike.

invalid

Banned
Daps

I feel like I can row for an hour and still never get the movement down right. And it's too easy. I go to the gym and turn that thing all the way up and still row with ease. Maybe it's broken or something but I don't feel that tension like you do if you'd turn the level all the way up on the powerbike.

The erg is the hardest machine in the gym if you're doing it right. Throwing up after a workout is normal. The damper should always be set between a 5/6. You don't need more drag factor than that and certainly don't need to set the damper at 10.

The reason why it's easy for you or anyone for that matter is that you're not doing the correct stroke movement. Your form and posture is off. Watch some YouTube videos to try to work on correct form.

After you get the form down, there are two other factors that make the erg challenging. Speed and power. Speed just means your strokes per minute. Power is how much power you're applying to the stroke. 98% of the time, the erg is easy to non-rowers because they're not applying power or don't understand how to. Applying the proper power, in conjunction with the right speed and proper form, typically will have you exhausted and ready to quit within 5-10 minutes.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
I’m buying a concept 2 machine this week.:wow:

SilkyWhichBinturong-size_restricted.gif

I couldn’t find any GIFs of brehs/brehettes rowing the “correct” way.:mjpls:

Did you cop?
If so, how did you order it? Amazon or off the website?
Also, how is it holding up?
You had to buy that chain oil for it?
I got me a entry level joint and it's cool but I gotta upgrade to a Concept, price and overseas shipping be damned.