It's time we stop recognizing Chris Paul as a great defensive player

Ace2306

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Contrary to popular belief, Chris Paul is no longer a GREAT defensive player and hasn't been for some time - probably since 2012 - around the same time he moved to LA; dealing with the cumulative effect of his knee injuries and the increasing athleticism/ability [= his decline] at the PG position. No longer is he effective at closing out on players, shadowing them around the halfcourt, cutting off driving lanes and reading and navigating around picks. His defensive value is only in the vein of gambling in passing lanes and directing opponents towards more able defenders (funnelling unnecessarily to DeAndre). His All-NBA Defensive team nod last season was purely based on reputation and not what actually took place on the court -

Despite the Clippers being ranked 13th in points against per shot (0.96 PPP - 50.8%) in 2014/2015, they were near last at contesting shots at a 40.89% rate (Kings and Lakers were the only teams who were worse), which is quite remarkable they actually got away with contesting at such a poor rate, yet still had a good defense since both the Lakers and Kings were ranked in the bottom five for points against per shot. Paul being the main culprit, as he was the WORST among all Clippers' starters at contesting shots - where he ranked 79th in the league among qualifying point guards at a 26.1% rate. He also ranked 77th among PGs in Keep-in-Front% at 29.7 - "Keep-In-Front% tracks a defender’s ability to keep his man in front of him following on-ball screens, during help attempts, on one-on-one drive attempts, and on closeout attempts."

The Clippers defensive scheme / DeAndre covered up teams capitalizing on his lack of defense and miscues -

Cliffsnotes -

:mjpls:

Ppl overrate his defense just like they overrate Docs coaching ability

Daps
You, of the infinite recall of prior posts, failed to recall my post criticizing Chris Paul's ALL DEFENSE selection 2 seasons ago?

You must be getting old :JJ:
:francis:

Is this payback (or the same like-minded individuals) for all those years Kobe [undeservedly] was named on those All-Defensive 1st teams?

Daps
How does it feel to be a joke?
Curry is a better defender at this point of their respective careers. If you had bothered to watch the Clippers this season you would've seen CP's opposite regular cook him. CP can no longer stay in front of guards regularly anymore.

I don't expect you to acknowledge this though.

GoddamnyamanProf

Countdown to Armageddon
Daps
Curry is a better defender at this point of their respective careers. If you had bothered to watch the Clippers this season you would've seen CP's opposite regular cook him. CP can no longer stay in front of guards regularly anymore.

I don't expect you to acknowledge this though.
I don't expect you to acknowledge that Curry is the worst defender in the entire series
I don't expect you to acknowledge that he's such a sieve that he can't play man up D and guard his position
I don't expect you to acknowledge that his coach knows this so he has to resort to putting him on the guy who isn't a scoring threat
I don't expect you to acknowledge that that non-scoring threat has then responded by becoming an offensive threat, because Curry is on him
I don't expect you to acknowledge that this wrinkle with Roberson stepping up and all the ensuing chaos caused by Curry's ineptitude is one of the main reasons they're about to be fishing
I don't expect you to acknowledge that a telling scenario like that has never once happened to eight-time All-Defensive point gawd Chris Paul
I don't even expect basic common sense from you at this point :yeshrug:

KOBE

Superstar
Daps
I don't expect you to acknowledge that Curry is the worst defender in the entire series
I don't expect you to acknowledge that he's such a sieve that he can't play man up D and guard his position
I don't expect you to acknowledge that his coach knows this so he has to resort to putting him on the guy who isn't a scoring threat
I don't expect you to acknowledge that that non-scoring threat has then responded by becoming an offensive threat, because Curry is on him
I don't expect you to acknowledge that this wrinkle with Roberson stepping up and all the ensuing chaos caused by Curry's ineptitude is one of the main reasons they're about to be fishing
I don't expect you to acknowledge that a telling scenario like that has never once happened to eight-time All-Defensive point gawd Chris Paul
I don't even expect basic common sense from you at this point :yeshrug:

What does Curry have to do with CP3 being overrated defensively though?

Saiyajin

Superstar
Daps
USATSI_8553245.jpg