It's time we stop recognizing Chris Paul as a great defensive player

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Contrary to popular belief, Chris Paul is no longer a GREAT defensive player and hasn't been for some time - probably since 2012 - around the same time he moved to LA; dealing with the cumulative effect of his knee injuries and the increasing athleticism/ability [= his decline] at the PG position. No longer is he effective at closing out on players, shadowing them around the halfcourt, cutting off driving lanes and reading and navigating around picks. His defensive value is only in the vein of gambling in passing lanes and directing opponents towards more able defenders (funnelling unnecessarily to DeAndre). His All-NBA Defensive team nod last season was purely based on reputation and not what actually took place on the court -

Despite the Clippers being ranked 13th in points against per shot (0.96 PPP - 50.8%) in 2014/2015, they were near last at contesting shots at a 40.89% rate (Kings and Lakers were the only teams who were worse), which is quite remarkable they actually got away with contesting at such a poor rate, yet still had a good defense since both the Lakers and Kings were ranked in the bottom five for points against per shot. Paul being the main culprit, as he was the WORST among all Clippers' starters at contesting shots - where he ranked 79th in the league among qualifying point guards at a 26.1% rate. He also ranked 77th among PGs in Keep-in-Front% at 29.7 - "Keep-In-Front% tracks a defender’s ability to keep his man in front of him following on-ball screens, during help attempts, on one-on-one drive attempts, and on closeout attempts."

The Clippers defensive scheme / DeAndre covered up teams capitalizing on his lack of defense and miscues -

Cliffsnotes -

:mjpls:

Rondo gives him that work. Gil, gets to hating. You never stop. I will always give you that much.

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
Dribbler is washed. His mid range j is slowing falling off too. Hopefully he at least can get his j back to where it was

#SOG_soldier

New York knicks and phoenix suns stan
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
That's why boxing will always be the goat s sport. Basketball got ruined by these anayltical fakkits :canelocartel22:

Hoganese

#hogsset
Daps
Reppin
The 479
I do agree with the premise that CP's rep way exceeds his actual defensive production. But I hope you were trolling with that Curry comment. Not that he's a liability but Curry gambles way too often. But it's usually fine because of how stout and sound the rest of their defense is.

But great OP breh.

Daps
I do agree with the premise that CP's rep way exceeds his actual defensive production. But I hope you were trolling with that Curry comment. Not that he's a liability but Curry gambles way too often. But it's usually fine because of how stout and sound the rest of their defense is.

But great OP breh.
I'm completely serious. Paul can barely keep his matchup in front of him anymore. Curry is an underrated defender - he hardly ever takes possessions off.