It’s been 50 years since Britain left. Why are so many African judges still wearing wigs?

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I'm saying that preserving colonial ways is a choice. As long as the old tongues aren't forgotten and/or marginalized I don't care but we all know that the business elite and leadership in these countries more often than not are anglophiles/francophiles/etc and often at the expense of their direct heritage and their own people.
Is this your opinion or based on any factual evidence?
Last I checked Yoruba is still spoken in Nigeria, Wolof still spoken in Senegal, CAR made Sango (which is more spoken language there) official along with French etc.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Is this your opinion or based on any factual evidence?
Last I checked Yoruba is still spoken in Nigeria, Wolof still spoken in Senegal, CAR made Sango (which is more spoken language there) official along with French etc.

I didn't say that the masses don't still speak their own languages I said that the ruling class in these countries are the ones preserving the colonial ways for little more reason than that they've been whitewashed. The judicial wigs are one example of many.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I didn't say that the masses don't still speak their own languages I said that the ruling class in these countries are the ones preserving the colonial ways for little more reason than that they've been whitewashed.
maybe. and/or its practical
very few African countries have a predominately spoken native language. how can they begin to build up if they can even agree on a language in which to speak to each other
imagine this thread if people spoke in what ever language they wanted to. there would be no discussion. due to these nations having artificial borders, it is necessary to use a unifiying language which in most cases is the former colonial language

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
very few African countries have a predominately spoken native language. how can they begin to build up if they can even agree on a language in which to speak to each other

This is because the countries themselves are false. The borders are false.

imagine this thread if people spoke in what ever language they wanted to. there would be no discussion. due to these nations having artificial borders, it is necessary to use a unifiying language which in most cases is the former colonial language

This is also false. The E.U. does not have a unifying language, they merely have travel and commerce agreements. The same could be true of the many, many subnations that exist within Africa from Biafra to Mombasa.

OneManGang

Veteran
Daps
The fact that this needs explanation is :snoop:

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
This is because the countries themselves are false. The borders are false.

This is also false. The E.U. does not have a unifying language, they merely have travel and commerce agreements. The same could be true of the many, many subnations that exist within Africa from Biafra to Mombasa.
Do you think the EU is a country?

Man

Internet Liar
Daps
The practice originally started in Africa where the appointed elder in a village had to put on a mask when judging serious matters especially those of life and death

Sothebys_dan_mask-427x680.jpg

The judge was said to invoke the spirit of the mask (and covered in robes head to toe) to be other than himself and his bias to judge wisely...mask passed on from elder to elder

The practice ended up in Egypt with Wigs and other costume when judging then to Europe

Now we come full circle where the wig appears cac-ish and blonde

I can't remember where I learnt this from or I could've completely just made it up :guilty:

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Do you think the EU is a country?

:stopitslime:

Do you think 90% of these African "countries" benefit from the way their borders were drawn by Europeans? Do you think 90% of these "countries" will ever effectively govern multilingual territories with wildly different customs/beliefs/allocation of resources/etc? European countries deal with separatism based on language and customs (See the Basque people in Northern Spain/Southern France and the PIRA in Northern Ireland), why should Africa be any different? If the leadership in these African "countries" weren't in the pocket of the UN a lot of these countries would have dissolved by now and rightfully so.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
:stopitslime:

Do you think 90% of these African "countries" benefit from the way their borders were drawn by Europeans? Do you think 90% of these "countries" will ever effectively govern multilingual territories with wildly different customs/beliefs/allocation of resources/etc? European countries deal with separatism based on language and customs (See the Basque people in Northern Spain/Southern France and the PIRA in Northern Ireland), why should Africa be any different? If the leadership in these African "countries" weren't in the pocket of the UN a lot of these countries would have dissolved by now and rightfully so.
It was a simple yes or no question.
Do you think the EU is a country or not?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
It was a simple yes or no question.
Do you think the EU is a country or not?

No the EU is not a country. My point was that the distinct territories within these arbitrary nations could operate more like the E.U. and make it easy to travel and trade between territories while retaining autonomy. Political stability would improve and you avoid the Belfast style political fringe terrorism that allows outsiders to destabilize African nations via regime change and increases animosity between the territories.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
No the EU is not a country. My point was that the distinct territories within these arbitrary nations could operate more like the E.U. and make it easy to travel and trade between territories while retaining autonomy. Political stability would improve and you avoid the Belfast style political fringe terrorism that allows outsiders to destabilize African nations via regime change and increases animosity between the territories.
this has nothing to do with what we were discussing

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
this has nothing to do with what we were discussing

In a way it does, my personal opinion is that colonialism in Africa never ended and the first step to reclaiming Africa for Africans is self government. If they speak their own language and they have their own identity they're a distinct group of people who should govern themselves. Find me a group of people in Europe who speak their own language who don't have their own country and aren't actively trying to create one and/or secede. Every territory in the UK from Scotland to Wales have huge secessionist movements. The Basque people have been fighting for autonomy from Spain for nearly 200 years.

Self government would clearly have a net positive impact in many regions of Africa and yet here we are seeing the same territory conflicts repeat themselves every other decade or so.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
In a way it does, my personal opinion is that colonialism in Africa never ended and the first step to reclaiming Africa for Africans is self government. If they speak their own language and they have their own identity they're a distinct group of people who should govern themselves. Find me a group of people in Europe who speak their own language who don't have their own country and aren't actively trying to create one and/or secede. Every territory in the UK from Scotland to Wales have huge secessionist movements. The Basque people have been fighting for autonomy from Spain for nearly 200 years.

Self government would clearly have a net positive impact in many regions of Africa and yet here we are seeing the same territory conflicts repeat themselves every other decade or so.
Ethnic-Map-of-Nigeria.jpg

do you see the issue