It’s been 50 years since Britain left. Why are so many African judges still wearing wigs?

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Ethnic-Map-of-Nigeria.jpg

do you see the issue

I see a bigger issue governing 160 million people in a landmass that's 2x the size of California.

If these regions governed themselves and simply traded with each other when necessary the political and religious climate in the Nigeria region would likely be a lot more stable.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
I see a bigger issue governing 160 million people in a landmass that's 2x the size of California.

If these regions governed themselves and simply traded with each other when necessary the political and religious climate in the Nigeria region would likely be a lot more stable.
you know that doesn't work in the real world right?

TTT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Either all the ethnicities' languages become official languages or you don't do it at all. There aren't many countries on the continent that would accept having the largest ethnicity as the official language unless that language developed like Swahili or Lingala which removes most complications. The way the borders are drawn is the equivalent of France and England being one country, the founding fathers decided not to redraw the boundaries because it would have caused more wars due to competing territorial claims. The wigs can be done away with, English being a major language that it is made many countries retain a lot of the institutional structures left by the British like their Westminister parliamentary systems and only modified them to give more executive powers to a President.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
you know that doesn't work in the real world right?

It was presumably the system that existed before colonialism so what real world are you speaking of? The one where the Western world would never allow that to happen in Africa?

If Western Europe can go from WWII to transnational trade agreements then so can Africa.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
It was presumably the system that existed before colonialism so what real world are you speaking of? The one where the Western world would never allow that to happen in Africa?

If Western Europe can go from WWII to transnational trade agreements then so can Africa.
i'm talking pragmatism and you're talking about hopes and wishes

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
i'm talking pragmatism and you're talking about hopes and wishes

Serious question breh, in what way is the current state of Nigeria "practical"? Over half the population is dirt poor and the corruption in the Nigerian state is bottomless.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Serious question breh, in what way is the current state of Nigeria "practical"? Over half the population is dirt poor and the corruption in the Nigerian state is bottomless.
Nigeria isn't the only country in Africa and i never said its current makeup is practical. the picture was an example. you've been moving this discussion aware from the language issue. my argument is its just as valid to have French as an official language as English or Arabic while you want a pan national confederation of precolonial African states.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Nigeria isn't the only country in Africa and i never said its current makeup is practical. the picture was an example. you've been moving this discussion aware from the language issue. my argument is its just as valid to have French as an official language as English or Arabic while you want a pan national confederation of precolonial African states.

Yeah I did shift the conversation, I'll stop hijacking the thread lol.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
In the sub-discussion about languages, we are in 2017, the use of colonial languages is of benefit to the people in former colonies. I believe, and history supports, that it was our relative isolation from other continents that made us vulnerable to exploitation/colonization to begin with. Innovations that were created in Africa traveled and benefited others but not vice versa. We were behind in technology when the Arab raider and the European missionary/slave trader made contact with our leaders. We are still behind today.

Keep your traditional language and all that, but have to speak the languages that are transmitting the world's information. I had discussion with older relative years ago. He claimed that it was more important to speak Kreyol than French. I called BS.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
In the sub-discussion about languages, we are in 2017, the use of colonial languages is of benefit to the people in former colonies. I believe, and history supports, that it was our relative isolation from other continents that made us vulnerable to exploitation/colonization to begin with. Innovations that were created in Africa traveled and benefited others but not vice versa. We were behind in technology when the Arab raider and the European missionary/slave trader made contact with our leaders. We are still behind today.

Keep your traditional language and all that, but have to speak the languages that are transmitting the world's information. I had discussion with older relative years ago. He claimed that it was more important to speak Kreyol than French. I called BS.
depends on the context but why not both? Where my mom is from people on average speak 3-4 languages. Many Europeans speak their language and English, Russian or Italian, or French.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
depends on the context but why not both? Where my mom is from people on average speak 3-4 languages. Many Europeans speak their language and English, Russian or Italian, or French.

If there was a legit choice, it's French without a second's hesitation. My family doesn't come from real wealth. Person living where we are from has more life options if he speaks one over the other.Harsh reality, but it's reality.

I've been to places where, indeed, people speak native German and accent free English. There are millions of books and volumes of information globally available in both languages. Same isn't true for Kreyol.

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
Also, these old kings and Cac politicians wore wigs because their hair fell out from LICE!

Culturally appropriate gross Cac shyt brehs...

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
If there was a legit choice, it's French without a second's hesitation. My family doesn't come from real wealth. Person living where we are from has more life options if he speaks one over the other.Harsh reality, but it's reality.

I've been to places where, indeed, people speak native German and accent free English. There are millions of books and volumes of information globally available in both languages. Same isn't true for Kreyol.
In the Western Hemisphere more people speak Kreyol than French. And its more reasonable and practical for Haiti to have everyone literate in Kreyol then French. I don't believe just because a language doesn't have a long literary tradition doesn't mean it should be abandoned. there are smaller languages than Kreyol that are thriving anyway