It’s been 50 years since Britain left. Why are so many African judges still wearing wigs?

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
In the Western Hemisphere more people speak Kreyol than French. And its more reasonable and practical for Haiti to have everyone literate in Kreyol then French. I don't believe just because a language doesn't have a long literary tradition doesn't mean it should be abandoned. there are smaller languages than Kreyol that are thriving anyway

Not about literary heritage but about education. Opens up more options.It's more practical to teach the next generation of Haitians to speak French than to attempt to translate a world's worth of information into Kreyol. wouldn't you agree?

Wealthy people in Haiti speak Kreyol but make sure that their children are educated in either French or English.(or both).I have family there who went to school there and have been able to travel to France and Canada to complete their educations. They have practical job skills and language skills that are open to French speakers.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Not about literary heritage but about education. Opens up more options.It's more practical to teach the next generation of Haitians to speak French than to attempt to translate a world's worth of information into Kreyol. wouldn't you agree?

Wealthy people in Haiti speak Kreyol but make sure that their children are educated in either French or English.(or both).I have family there who went to school there and have been able to travel to France and Canada to complete their educations. They have practical job skills and language skills that are open to French speakers.
i mean in that case you might as well just make Haitians learn English

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
i mean in that case you might as well just make Haitians learn English
Conversation is about African countries retaining or supplanting their official colonial languages. I said that it makes more practical sense to retain the Euro language for commerce/education. purposes I used a convo with my uncle about related topic as an example.

Haitians have been speaking a variation of French for over 200 years and official French has been either the sole or dual official language for just as long.

I don't know how you reach the conclusion from this discussion that we might as well force Haitians to learn English.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Conversation is about African countries retaining or supplanting their official colonial languages. I said that it makes more practical sense to retain the Euro language for commerce/education. purposes I used a convo with my uncle about related topic as an example.

Haitians have been speaking a variation of French for over 200 years and official French has been either the sole or dual official language for just as long.

I don't know how you reach the conclusion from this discussion that we might as well force Haitians to learn English.
:hhh:you brought up Haiti and how French is so useful for your Haitian relatives. So i said, might as well just have all Haitians learn English:hhh:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
you brought up Haiti and how French is so useful for your Haitian relatives. So i said, might as well just have all Haitians learn English

Uh oh, when the smilies/emojis come out, that usually indicates that the conversation has shifted.

If you are asking me hypothetically that wouldn't making English the language of Haiti open up more of the business/education opportunities that I've been alluding to, the answer is YES.

But we've spend this mini convo discussing things in practical terms. My conclusions for this convo...yes..french is the better option if a Haitian is presented with a choice of one language to learn, Yes, it's more practical too teach the next generation french than to translate world full of info to Kreyol .

More practical to teach Haitians English than French....No..and I pointed out some of the reasons

As I pointed out, wealthy Haitians sometimes have their children educated in both English and French. And it goes without saying that the education minded relatives of mine have had their children learn English.

My family is from a very poor country. Very poorly run country. I think we take things a bit more seriously by necessity than people from other places may. You may take things for granted that we can't.

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire
maybe. and/or its practical
very few African countries have a predominately spoken native language. how can they begin to build up if they can even agree on a language in which to speak to each other
imagine this thread if people spoke in what ever language they wanted to. there would be no discussion. due to these nations having artificial borders, it is necessary to use a unifiying language which in most cases is the former colonial language

Like I said, the MOST spoken language should become the defacto langauge.

if majority of people statistically speak Yoruba, then Nigeria's assumed official language should be Yoruba.

In America, English and Spanish are the most common languages but we all assume everyone to speak English and English is basically our offiicial langauge.

In certain states Spanish is assumed to be of very great importance and even a requirement.

AB Ziggy

Banned
Daps

if majority of people statistically speak Yoruba, then Nigeria's assumed official language should be Yoruba.

In America, English and Spanish are the most common languages but we all assume everyone to speak English and English is basically our offiicial langauge.

In certain states Spanish is assumed to be of very great importance and even a requirement.

In a dream world breh. There's over 200 ethnic groups in Nigeria of which Yorubas happen to be one of the major ones.

Can't create an official language without including representation from smaller groups. That's what English(and Pidgin for the younger generation) exists.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip

ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA

Return of the Khryst
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ℒℴѵℯJay ELECTUA
11401227_sma.jpg

Concerning VIolence

Decolonizer
Daps
Reppin
the belly of the empire

Do Haitians not already translate other languages into Kreyol? :dwillhuh:

Kreyol has been officially standardized as an orthography since 1979.

It's standardization is only going to grow.

Future Haitian kids 30 years from now prolly won't even see French in a textbook ever again.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Kreyol is written. Did you read my post? :what:

You don't know what an orthography is?
2017 and ppl still don't think kreyol is a legit language :picard:

I guess my point is in many countries there is no most widely spoken native language