It’s A Splash Bros Reunion! Are You Kuminga To The Poole Party? Warriors 2022 Season Thread

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
Article on Simmons from Slater:

The Warriors front office isn’t currently split on whether or not to accept a Ben Simmons trade offer from Philadelphia. There isn’t — and has never been — a realistic one on the table for them to discuss. Talks can’t be considered dead because they’ve never even really been alive, multiple sources confirm.

The Warriors were among the teams Daryl Morey called during his initial round of over-the-top inquiries. That came before the draft. As has been reported, he asked for a package of Andrew Wiggins, James Wiseman, the seventh and 14th picks and two future first-rounders. There was never bargaining. There was only a decline and a hang up.

Neither side has circled back. Morey certainly might at some point in September. The situation in Philadelphia is only getting more tense as the season creeps closer. If the Sixers slash their asking price significantly, it could warrant deeper discussion within the Warriors, from ownership to Bob Myers’ staff on down to the opinionated and involved coaches and veteran players.

That’s when the finer details might be debated with more nuance. Do Steve Kerr and Steph Curry firmly believe a Simmons and Draymond Green pairing could work on the offensive end in the tensest of playoff moments? Which young players or future assets would and wouldn’t Joe Lacob and Myers be willing to attach to Wiggins’ contract? There’s no chance Green would be part of the trade talks instead of Wiggins… right?

Different members of the Warriors organization, at all levels, have varying opinions on all those questions. But several factors make an eventual deal for Simmons unlikely to materialize.

1. The desperation isn’t there on both sides. Unhappy stars unsettle situations. The Sixers have an anvil over their head less than a month before camp. The Warriors don’t. They have 14 players under guaranteed contract control and those are the 14 that everyone internally is under the assumption will be there to open the season.

That includes Curry, now locked into a long-term extension. His signature (and proceeding interview) was his vote of approval on the team’s planned path. The Warriors aren’t currently initiating any trade calls offering their young players for veterans, Simmons or otherwise. They have zero intention to do so in the coming weeks, sources confirm.

Their phone still works. Morey could call and ignite discussions, but the ball doesn’t get rolling if it isn’t an obvious bargain for the Warriors. That’s just the reality of business negotiations. The less desperate side is the one with more leverage.

2. Simmons and his representation will continue to turn up the heat on the Sixers, but if Morey has full autonomy in Philadelphia, he won’t be one to make a panic deal, even if that means dragging it into camp or the season to extract proper value. He won’t just take Wiggins and a future first-rounder or a Buddy Hield-Marvin Bagley combo because Simmons is a preseason no-show.

Situations do change. The Warriors (or another trade partner) could be a whole lot more desperate in January than they are in September and the offers could expand. But when you contrast what Morey would likely want with what the Warriors are currently willing to even entertain, there’s an ocean of difference.

3. Joe Lacob isn’t bluffing. He does not want to trade James Wiseman or Jonathan Kuminga. You can question his vision, but I wouldn’t be skeptical of the transparency.

Go reread the quotes, if you want. He envisions Wiseman and Kuminga as supplementary, cheaper rotation pieces around an expensive core during their first NBA contract and the franchise’s superstar successors by the time they hit their second NBA contracts, ushering in the Warriors’ next era.

You may be more dubious of Wiseman’s or Kuminga’s future ceiling. You may crave more aggressive all-out asset usage and unfettered spending with the singular goal of capturing another title before Curry’s prime expires. You may care less about the back half of this decade and the idea of elusive sustained success than Lacob does.

But you’d be naive not to calculate his mindset into any hypothetical trade talks. Lacob is the one signing the checks and is an influential voice in the room, listening to an array of voices but ultimately remaining the one who needs to be convinced to greenlight any monumental decision.

League execs might view Wiseman and Kuminga as intriguing but unproven young players who sweeten the pot a bit around Wiggins’ negative value contract. But they’d be talking to a front office that collectively remains higher on both their futures than the general consensus and Lacob, an ambitious venture capitalist, who has dreams of the two in their early primes connecting on 2026 playoff lobs in front of a packed Chase Center.

I’m not saying the Warriors can’t be talked out of trading either. I’m saying it’d be extraordinarily difficult and would probably take some internal pressure. Lacob has called Kuminga and Wiseman (and Jordan Poole and Moses Moody) the organization’s “bridge” to the future and he doesn’t seem intent on burning it, even for a mid-tier star like Simmons who immediately upgrades the team, but is already on his second contract, a max, and comes attached to legit questions about his game and fit.

The Sixers, even after lessening their offer, would surely demand one of the two, probably Kuminga, considering Wiseman’s overlap with Joel Embiid. That’s where I see the impasse. Wiggins and some future picks wouldn’t (or at least shouldn’t) beat other offers that are likely out there.

On to some other news around the Warriors in recent days: Shams Charania reported on Wednesday that unvaccinated players on the Warriors, Nets and Knicks won’t be able to play home games or enter the practice facility this season due to COVID-19 policies implemented by San Francisco and New York City, unless they have approved medical or religious exemption.

Nearly all Warriors players are already vaccinated. The biggest outstanding question surrounds the vaccination status of Andrew Wiggins. Last season, Wiggins told reporters that he hadn’t received the vaccine and didn’t plan to get it.

“I don’t really see myself getting it anytime soon, unless I’m forced to, somehow,” Wiggins said. “Other than that, I’m good.”

The Warriors can’t force any of their players to get it, but the league is permitting teams to reduce compensation and fine or suspend a player if they aren’t compliant. The even greater issue, of course, would be the inability to have that player at home practices or games in San Francisco.

Darren Collison was in the Warriors’ facility on Wednesday and will be there again on Thursday, working out with some current players. Steph Curry and Jordan Poole were among those scrimmaging with him in the facility.

Chris Haynes of Yahoo was the first to report of Collison’s planned workout with the Warriors. The veteran point guard has been out of the NBA the last two seasons, but, at 34, is mulling a return.

Collison averaged 11.2 points and 6.0 assists for the Pacers back in the 2018-19 season. He’s historically been a low-turnover, 40 percent 3-point shooter. If he’s anywhere near the player we last saw in the league, he’d be the ideal fit as a veteran backup point guard behind Curry, which Myers has said is the team’s biggest area of need at that unclaimed 15th roster spot.

This informal two-day workout should go a long way toward convincing the Warriors whether Collison is worth a flier and Collison whether he wants to commit to a comeback, even if it’s only on a non-guaranteed camp invite, which would be the Warriors’ preference, maintaining flexibility.

The Warriors’ current plan is to leave that 15th roster spot and the second vacant two-way roster spot open for camp competition. Gary Payton II and Mychal Mulder are currently on non-guaranteed deals and are considered leading candidates for it. Mulder, if he was released but cleared waivers, is still eligible for a two-way spot. Payton isn’t.

There’s no guarantee the Warriors use the 15th roster spot. They’d save a chunk of tax money for however long they keep it open during the season and they have made some cost-cutting moves around the margins lately. But that’s not a decision that must be made until just before the regular season.

CSquare43

Superstar
Daps
I want Ben :dame:

As long as we dont have to give up Kuminga

Wiseman, Moody, Wiggins, and a 1st :hubie:

IMO, that's too much (especially since it feels like Simmons value is going down with every day we get closer to training camp). If we do it (and my gut feeling is that the FO is waiting to see how little they'll have to give up for him, but are definitely interested)), I could see it being Wiggs/Player/Pick and that's it.....

We have no $$ to spend rn so dumping 3+ bodies that we'll struggle to replace makes this tough for me..feels like it would have to be a 3 team trade if it goes down.