It’s A Splash Bros Reunion! Are You Kuminga To The Poole Party? Warriors 2022 Season Thread

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
The part I think is funny is using the spurs as the argument to go all in. Didn't they develop guys to build with Duncan after the initial runs they had? They didn't sacrifice and go all in via a big trade. And Kawhi is not the big trade because he wasn't that Kawhi just yet.
They traded George hill and immediately started contending. The spurs swept their way to the conference finals in 2012, with kawhi starting.

Robbo

All Star
Daps
They traded George hill and immediately started contending. The spurs swept their way to the conference finals in 2012, with kawhi starting.

What I'm saying is... if Kawhi was an established star, which people are claiming the Warriors neeed to trade for, you ain't getting him for George Hill. Kawhi was thought of as a great defender and a raw offensive player.

Daps
The part I think is funny is using the spurs as the argument to go all in. Didn't they develop guys to build with Duncan after the initial runs they had? They didn't sacrifice and go all in via a big trade. And Kawhi is not the big trade because he wasn't that Kawhi just yet.
Isn’t this the exact approach the warriors are taking now?
The difference is they had experienced players throughout their rotation, and a proper balance in the frontcourt (Duncan, Diaw, Splitter, Baynes etc). The Warriors don't have those elements. Kawhi was essentially their only project, and when they traded for him in 2011, Parker was only 29, and both Manu and Duncan had reduced roles that allowed them to age more gracefully (neither on them were to ask to anchor an offense like Steph). Whereas Steph has been burning the midnight oil on the court in his mid-30s, Klay has only just returned after being out for two years, and we're none-the-wiser on when Draymond will break down, completely.

If the Warriors had a set-up like the Spurs did, the need for a trade wouldn't really be a topic. The Wiseman selection is even worse given the fact if they literally drafted or traded for any other player, it would force them to get a proper big man, but instead they've put all their eggs in his basket.

Robbo

All Star
Daps
The difference is they had experienced players throughout their rotation, and a proper balance in the frontcourt (Duncan, Diaw, Splitter, Baynes etc). The Warriors don't have those elements. Kawhi was essentially their only project, and when they traded for him in 2011, Parker was only 29, and both Manu and Duncan had reduced roles that allowed them to age more gracefully (neither on them were to ask to anchor an offense like Steph). Whereas Steph has been burning the midnight oil on the court in his mid-30s, Klay has only just returned after being out for two years, and we're none-the-wiser on when Draymond will break down, completely.

If the Warriors had a set-up like the Spurs did, the need for a trade wouldn't really be a topic. The Wiseman selection is even worse given the fact if they literally drafted or traded for any other player, it would force them to get a proper big man, but instead they've put all their eggs in his basket.

Yea.. but the Warriors sitting with the 2nd best record in the NBA with all of these potential negative roster situations. I would say that if Trading Wiseman brought a significant veteran piece, if be up for it. But not Kuminga, not Moody, not Poole..etc.

However, I'm ok with playing the long game with Wiseman. Seeing real stars and NBA champions, I don't see the organization sacrificing finances for fringe stars ( like making Antawn Jamison the highest paid bay area athlete ever at that time). Once Steph , Klay and Dray start to fade out of the picture, they have more conventional ways to build the roster. And if Kuminga,Poole, Moody and/or Wiseman end up being worth a max, then those players will have earned it (i.e led a championship contender)

Daps
Yea.. but the Warriors sitting with the 2nd best record in the NBA with all of these potential negative roster situations. I would say that if Trading Wiseman brought a significant veteran piece, if be up for it. But not Kuminga, not Moody, not Poole..etc.
As I've said all throughout the season, regular season wins are a red herring. Steph is a cheat code; he'll win in that environment with any type of talent and personnel, and give a false reading as to how good the team is.

Just look at how Wiggins is perceived now, when in reality, despite buying into the winning culture, he's essentially the same player he's always been. The only real difference is he gets considerably more easy scoring opportunities than he ever has before. But when shyt gets real in the postseason, when the offense isn't flowing like it typically does, all his flaws will be on full display, as will be the case for a lot of the other players on the team.
However, I'm ok with playing the long game with Wiseman. Seeing real stars and NBA champions, I don't see the organization sacrificing finances for fringe stars ( like making Antawn Jamison the highest paid bay area athlete ever at that time). Once Steph , Klay and Dray start to fade out of the picture, they have more conventional ways to build the roster. And if Kuminga,Poole, Moody and/or Wiseman end up being worth a max, then those players will have earned it (i.e led a championship contender).
That's the trap they've fallen into, thinking they can replicate what Steph, Klay and Dray have done, when in reality, the smart thing to do would be to maximize their time left, and not hope they can have one foot in and one foot out planning for the future, when the future will likely be the best case scenario of 1st and 2nd round exits. Kuminga is the only one who looks of star potential out of the three; Moody looks like he's going to be a solid role player; Wiseman isn't worth even talking about. I have a feeling in five years time when the Warriors transition period doesn't go as you'd hope, you'll be regretting that they didn't do all that they could when they still had Steph, Klay and Dray as high-impact players.

I mean, I've reiterated this over and over and over. I'm beating my head against that wall.

Robbo

All Star
Daps
As I've said all throughout the season, regular season wins are a red herring. Steph is a cheat code; he'll win in that environment with any type of talent and personnel, and give a false reading as to how good the team is.

Just look at how Wiggins is perceived now, when in reality, despite buying into the winning culture, he's essentially the same player he's always been. The only real difference is he gets considerably more easy scoring opportunities than he ever has before. But when shyt gets real in the postseason, when the offense isn't flowing like it typically does, all his flaws will be on full display, as will be the case for a lot of the other players on the team.

That's the trap they've fallen into, thinking they can replicate what Steph, Klay and Dray have done, when in reality, the smart thing to do would be to maximize their time left, and not hope they can have one foot in and one foot out planning for the future, when the future will likely be the best case scenario of 1st and 2nd round exits. Kuminga is the only one who looks of star potential out of the three; Moody looks like he's going to be a solid role player; Wiseman isn't worth even talking about. I have a feeling in five years time when the Warriors transition period doesn't go as you'd hope, you'll be regretting that they didn't do all that they could when they still had Steph, Klay and Dray as high-impact players.

I mean, I've reiterated this over and over and over. I'm beating my head against that wall.

I get where you're coming from.. but you're a Steph fan/NBA fan... not a Warrior fan. And as a Warrior fan I'm not down for an all in last run and deal with the rebuild later on. We've been there. We've been stuck in limbo.. rebuilding..with a new franchise cornerstone hyped up every few years. Of course this ownership group is far better than the one that oversaw the trash of the 90s/early 2000's, but still.. I'm on board with the plan that Lacob put out there.

Daps
I get where you're coming from.. but you're a Steph fan/NBA fan... not a Warrior fan. And as a Warrior fan I'm not down for an all in last run and deal with the rebuild later on. We've been there. We've been stuck in limbo.. rebuilding..with a new franchise cornerstone hyped up every few years. Of course this ownership group is far better than the one that oversaw the trash of the 90s/early 2000's, but still.. I'm on board with the plan that Lacob put out there.
Unless one of Kuminga, Wiseman or Moody becomes Steph (which they won’t) how will it be any different to what you’ve been used to as a Warriors fan over the years? Why not make the most of what is guaranteed (having one of the greatest cores in NBA history; both the most-impactful offensive player and most-selfless superstar in NBA history)?

In terms of the orchestration of this dynasty, Lacob hasn’t done shyt besides ride Jerry West’s coattails (who can forget Myers and Lacob wanting to trade Klay for Love?). And even if there were reason to put faith in Lacob, this franchise will never get another Steph, and they’ll be doing the same thing that they did before his rise to superstardom, and what nearly every other franchise is doing - fighting just to stay relevant.

I get that you want to look to the future, and have these young guys learning off the old, but the likelihood that not only they’re all part of the transition period going forward and having actual championship success, well, I don’t see it happening.

Think about all the franchises that have never won a title, and then think about all the franchises who’ve built championship squads from scratch, and never been able to do it replicate it again. Lakers and the Celtics are basically they only franchises excluded from that, and a lot of their success has been through what they’ve done through trade and free-agent signings.