IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
shyt, I've had positions come across my inbox paying $100+ hr just because they need the talent. One was a VPN migration for the damn country of China :damn:

I told em chill, I ain't want it :whoa:

fukk around and do something wrong and a nikka end up in a Shanghai prison for the rest of my life

:laugh:

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
What are you gonna do if they put a computer in front of you and ask you to do something you don't know how to do? You'll be laughed out of the interview...

...just saying because when we were hiring a DBA at the place I work, my boss and I decided to test the interviewees by making them do some basic DBA type tasks.

...let's just say we laughed a lot of people out. And these resumes said they had 5-6 years of exp. (My boss was looking for someone with 2-5 years exp)

this happened to me once years ago when i was looking for jobs during my last semester in grad school...position called for experience with unix (which i didn't have it) but the listing said it was preferred not required so i put it down on my resume plus that 55K-60K starting salary looked good to me...during the interview i was asked about unix and i said i had it...dude then asked me a whole bunch of unix command questions out of nowhere....had me like damn!!! :damn::bryan:..needless to say i didn't get that job and i learned a valuable lesson...since then the interviews ive went on where i had to show and prove what i put down on my resume ive never failed on that aspect

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
I'm getting mad close brehs. I got hit up bout this job in January, got submitted, then totally forgot about it. They hit me back today saying the client wants to have a phone screen with me. Check out the rate breh's :to:

16pjlj.png

amjx2.png

I think I got submitted for a hunna, but if they pick me, I'm gonna tell em I need at least 110. That's almost 230k :wow:

:ohhh: :damn: Damn I got to get this money.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
So it seems like the way to stack is to have 2 contract jobs

The way to stack is to be the best in your field. Having two contract jobs making $20/hr ain't really stacking. Having 2 contract jobs making $200/hr :whew:

:ohhh: :damn: Damn I got to get this money.

I keep telling y'all nikkas to get focused but nikkas is comfortable in mediocrity. The last two days I've put in about 14 hours of studying after getting home from work. By the end of that week I'll probably have 50 hours of studying time, while y'all cats is playing COD and bullshytting on the coli.

There's wild bread out there, must nikkas just too undisciplined to get it :manny:

I'll see y'all when I cop the Rari

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
So it seems like the way to stack is to have 2 contract jobs
There's no one way. There's multiple ways to do it, which is the beauty of it. One of my IT instructors from a few years back put me onto a lot of game of the many different ways you can make bread in the IT field. Since this dude had multiple CCIEs, he had about 2 or 3 companies that all paid him around 30k/yr each to carry a phone they gave him under the condition that he pick up if they call, whenever shyt hit the fan in an emergency, or if they're doing a major upgrade in their environment, they would ask this cat to stop by for an hour or 2 for him to oversee and make sure their in-house staff are doing it right. These companies might only reach out to him maybe once or twice in a 6 month span, but paid him that much simply because he was an expert in his field.

So he was getting that on-call paper in addition to his fulltime role he already had with another employer, in addition to however much the college paid him to teach the IT classes on the weekend.

shyt jus made me go :wow: wtf am i doing with myself , too much opportunity out there to be sitting on my ass fukkin around. Im thinking of getting into sales soon. I been gettin cool wit some of the sales engineers at my company lately and some of these nikkas checks :ohlawd:. I'm like, so you nikkas gettin checks like that from just wining & dining these customers on the company dime and drawing up contracts while Im the one you come to for the technical advice & then stuck in the datacenter at night trying to configure all this shyt?? a 3-4% commission from profit off a couple million dollar deals leave your checks lookin :whew:

I know one cat who does penetration testing at banks, gov't agencies, etc. One gov't agency I used to work at hired this dude to do a pen test on their network for 2 weeks at 15k. Dude was so good at his craft, he finished it in 3 days and just dikked around for the rest of the time.

moral of the story breh, opportunities are endless IF you are willing to put in the time and dedicate yourself to your craft

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
@bdizzle where did you start, what did you study, how long have you been working?

This year is 9 years in IT. Started out in help desk, went to sys admin, then started contracting, and now I'm primarily security (but I still get hit up often for network/server type roles).

I went to the Univ of Cincinnati for my bachelors in IT but dropped out my senior year because I realized it was a waste of fukking time. I'm 100% self taught like most nikkas who make it far in the game. It's always hilarious seeing people give me the :scusthov: when I tell em I'm a college dropout.

Right now I'm studying for my CCIE Security. After I'm done with that I might get my CCIE R&S cert, but truthfully I'm hoping by the next year to be working for myself full time. I'm 30 now breh, nikka ain't trying to work for someone else. Besides, if my firm blow up like I know it will, making 300k/mo will be light money. M-F I try to study for my cert, and on the weekends, I focus on business. Once I pass this exam though, all my free time will go to business. I'm trying to be a 1% by 2014.

I love IT, but this shyt is a hustle for me. I'm bout my bread. Me studying the amount of hours I am isn't because I'm trying to get a 10k/yr pay increase. If I can't double/triple my salary it's not worth it :birdman:

Last edited by a moderator:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Of course im talking about when you know what you're doing

All I can say is make a career plan breh. Ask yourself where you wanna be in 3 years, figure out how to get there, then execute. If you just let your career happen to you, you'll be the 50 year old :flabbynsick: looking dude miserable making 45k/yr.

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
All I can say is make a career plan breh. Ask yourself where you wanna be in 3 years, figure out how to get there, then execute. If you just let your career happen to you, you'll be the 50 year old :flabbynsick: looking dude miserable making 45k/yr.

I already got gems from you a year ago in the other thread. I was just talking from maximizing the most paper is to go the contract route and get 2 gigs once you know what you're doing

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

I can see how dudes could get content with this help desk gig but I don't see myself falling for the okey doke

BamdaDon

All Star
Daps
The way to stack is to be the best in your field. Having two contract jobs making $20/hr ain't really stacking. Having 2 contract jobs making $200/hr :whew:

I keep telling y'all nikkas to get focused but nikkas is comfortable in mediocrity. The last two days I've put in about 14 hours of studying after getting home from work. By the end of that week I'll probably have 50 hours of studying time, while y'all cats is playing COD and bullshytting on the coli.

There's wild bread out there, must nikkas just too undisciplined to get it :manny:

I'll see y'all when I cop the Rari
your my motivation Breh no lie. Lots of game and gems dropped in this thread by yourself and others. When I first started reading this shyt a few months back I didn't have a clue about anything IT related I literally started from the fukking bottom. Now a nikka fukking around with virtualization and trying to remember powershell commands. Crazy to think how reading a thread took me this way in life.

Edit: :mindblown::mindblown:you went to uc too? Damn I went there for political science from like 2000-2005 off and on until I said fukk it and started doing real estate.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
your my motivation Breh no lie. Lots of game and gems dropped in this thread by yourself and others. When I first started reading this shyt a few months back I didn't have a clue about anything IT related I literally started from the fukking bottom. Now a nikka fukking around with virtualization and trying to remember powershell commands. Crazy to think how reading a thread took me this way in life.

each one to teach one breh...its the coli way :obama:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Its crazy how much money companies wind up spending because they wanted to do it cheap, and not correct the first time.

:sadbron: dealing with this shyt right now. Our offshore team ( in India ) only has 1 iPad available to them( it's 4 of them ) and we have a deadline this Tuesday 4/02. I'm on vacation this Friday and Monday, so my lead starts bothering me if I can bring my laptop with me. :what:

about to put in an extra 3 - 4 hrs( before the Heat game comes on ) and call It a day. Should've brought in people who could physical be here.