IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Personally I don't, but I know people who do and some like it, some don't. Really depends on what you're looking for.

The advantages are that you usually can make more money (sometimes a lot more) than just being a regular somewhere, and you do have more flexibility.

Main disadvantage is lack of benefits tho. If you want any type of insurance you'll have to pay out of pocket for it, and forget about a retirement plan. The other disadvantage is having to find work...it may be easy now, but in the (likely) event that the clown in office causes a recession in the next few years, things could get harder for contract brehs. The other thing is that if you're going from contract-to-contract you may have less of an opportunity to work your way up the latter at a company. Like I said, just depends on what you're looking for.

I see, thanks for the response.

Guess like anything else you just have to weigh out the pros and cons.

I'll see when I get there.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
brehs who work a 9-5 job, how do you guys have time to study other certs and how?

I want to get my CCNA but don't know what route to take. Self Study, Course online, or Training program in a school?

If there is any good reputable online courses lmk please :feedme:

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
brehs who work a 9-5 job, how do you guys have time to study other certs and how?

I want to get my CCNA but don't know what route to take. Self Study, Course online, or Training program in a school?

If there is any good reputable online courses lmk please :feedme:
I study during my lunch hour or if I'm real busy I'll dedicate 1 - 2 hours after work to self study.
I can't tell you about any courses or training program because I only self study for my certs.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
I just bought some CCNA course on UDEMY and going to go through that for the month during my lunch break too
Whatever works for you.
I would suggest you download GNS3 and some images of atleast 1 router and switch, work through setting up your own network with the command line.
Work through being able to subnet, Todd Lamale's book has an excellent technique.
I have the official book and the Todd Lamale one, if you want me to send you a link to them let me know.
Good Luck

slikkp

Pro
Daps
Whatever works for you.
I would suggest you download GNS3 and some images of atleast 1 router and switch, work through setting up your own network with the command line.
Work through being able to subnet, Todd Lamale's book has an excellent technique.
I have the official book and the Todd Lamale one, if you want me to send you a link to them let me know.
Good Luck

Packet Tracer is free now too.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Daps
Congrats breh! The best perk in all this imo is that yall can take one whip to work and don't have to waste time driving to multiple places before and after work.

Edit: As far as advice I would say just always ask questions about anything you don't know or are not 100% sure of. Show your boss that you're eager to learn and take on new duties whenever possible and I assure you they will have your back. Also take some study materials to work during down time. I usually have at least 1.5-2 hours throughout the day where I have nothing to do and can get some reading in.

On another note I finished up my AWS CSAA course and am starting to read through the white papers and I'm finally realizing how much shyt I'm gonna end up wasting my time trying to memorize that might not even be on the test. Took some practice exams this week and got 75-80s on them so once I start getting 90s-100s I'm gonna schedule my exam about two weeks out. I'll probably end up spending less time studying for this cert than my CCNA only because there's way less "techincal" stuff to know and the only hands on work is in the actual console which is pretty straightforward.

Thanks for responding and giving good advice breh

I have Mike Myers A+ and Network+ exam guides.

I’ve had my nose in both for the past week

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
Finally made it through all these CySA+ vids. Got 30 pages of notes :bryan:

Now I gotta get on quizlet and get these flashcards made and I should be ready for it come next sunday :blessed:

Which vids did you watch my dude?

EnzoG

All Star
Daps
Reppin
HOUS-e-
Taking the A+ 901 tomorrow on the minimum of the 675 I was 183 pts. away on the first try and 80 pts. on the second try and I believe a 3rd time is a charm so wish me luck brehs!!!

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Anybody have a hard time figuring out which certifications to get? If so, did you narrow it down based on jobs you wanted to do or related to the job you were already working in?