IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just got an offer letter for a cloud security consulting gig i think imma take brehs .....its mostly remote with travel involved

Any of yall ever did consulting? How much travel can i expect with 50%? :lupe:

I had contracting gigs that travel was only supposed to be 10-15% but quickly turned into 50-60%. Needless to say I quit almost immediately for jobs with hardly any travel required. Never believe any company's claim about travel % and always add another 20-30% to the number they give you. All it would take is for a few of your co-workers to quit and then your'e stuck carrying the load until they can be replaced.

Companies love to abuse the new people coming in because their still on probation. I got a job 9 months ago where they have me doing the job of damn near everyone in the department. When I complained to my manager why nobody else is forced to do everyone else's job. He claimed he's doing it as part of my training. I put in my notice this week for a job paying more money. You ain't gonna work me harder than everyone else in the group or go against how you described the job before I accepted.

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
Just got an offer letter for a cloud security consulting gig i think imma take brehs .....its mostly remote with travel involved

Question, what were you previous credentials?

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Anybody got a Certified Ethical Hacker cert and wanna share their experience?

That shyt is garbage and not only that it won't get you a job in security.

If you actually want a job in security that won't get bushed when the real gets separated from the fakes (aka cissp holders getting exposed) you should learn Linux and Microsoft (OS and systems in general), learn networking and the TCP/IP suite in depth, and learn some basic scripting to start, bash and python being a good choice. After you develop good fundamentals in these, learning all the security technologies and such will be easier because you will know how computers work. That's a real security pro.

:yeshrug:

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
Aye brehs, are there any rules to commuting or something? Or have any of y’all up and moved to another city for a job. I’ve never done this but it seems I might have to .

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
I live in Killeen , jobs hit me up all day from Dallas or Austin

Dallas is 1hr 45mins North

Austin is 1hr 15mins South
Is that with or without traffic? Calculate the gas costs vs living in those areas. Calculate the opportunity cost of time spent in traffic. You might want to move AFTER you have the job in hand.

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
I had contracting gigs that travel was only supposed to be 10-15% but quickly turned into 50-60%. Needless to say I quit almost immediately for jobs with hardly any travel required. Never believe any company's claim about travel % and always add another 20-30% to the number they give you. All it would take is for a few of your co-workers to quit and then your'e stuck carrying the load until they can be replaced.

Companies love to abuse the new people coming in because their still on probation. I got a job 9 months ago where they have me doing the job of damn near everyone in the department. When I complained to my manager why nobody else is forced to do everyone else's job. He claimed he's doing it as part of my training. I put in my notice this week for a job paying more money. You ain't gonna work me harder than everyone else in the group or go against how you described the job before I accepted.

:patrice: That was in the back of my mind aside from the travel..Being the new person and I will be in a "training, and getting up to speed on everything" for the first few months.

My take on 50% was about 2 weeks travel every month..they say they prefer to do everything remotely but 50% is already somewhat alot and you telling me add another 20-30% :dead:

Question, what were you previous credentials?

Highest cert i have is my mcsa.... Past 2 years ive been working for the most part with an Identity management/SSO platform..before that support/sys admin stuff for yrs

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps

Depends on the project. They said I would travel every week during interviews and orientation. I been remote since my project started.

Aye brehs, are there any rules to commuting or something? Or have any of y’all up and moved to another city for a job. I’ve never done this but it seems I might have to .

I have. Best decision of my life. Do it.

Last edited:

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN

Unless the money is the type of shyt you can't refuse, stay away from traveling consultancy gigs.

You can't say no if they ask you to go out and visit a customer even if it's way past the percentage that you agreed on initially :francis:. I don't trust them folks :hhh:

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
Udemy has a sale right now !:hhh:

Just copped the AWS Architect Associate course along with Azure Architect.

Time to put in that work :whoo:

This was September 2017 and a year later, I got both certifications. That Azure cert 70-535 was no joke

There is a lot of money to get in these streets and them softies ain't build for it. If you are reading this, go get it man.

After a few years, I'm really learning this shyt comes down to 3 things :

• Money management
  • Time
  • Dedication

Find your path and go fukking get it. This shyt is really ours to lose ! Peace to the Gods

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
This was September 2017 and a year later, I got both certifications. That Azure cert 70-535 was no joke

There is a lot of money to get in these streets and them softies ain't build for it. If you are reading this, go get it man.

After a few years, I'm really learning this shyt comes down to 3 things :

• Money management
  • Time
  • Dedication

Find your path and go fukking get it. This shyt is really ours to lose ! Peace to the Gods

good shyt! :salute: you said you was gone do some shyt and you did it. What type of job is that for??