IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Had a interview with FedEx corporate last week, hiring manager called me direct to setup a onsite face to face/

this time I was hit with a 5 BAR( Background, action, result) questions and that's it :francis:

All Star
Daps
Anybody in their 30s (and up) live in an area that puts degrees over experience?

Curious to hear if you notice any age discrimination on top of that?

Steel

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC - ATL-MIA
Anybody in their 30s (and up) live in an area that puts degrees over experience?

From word of mouth ageism is rampant in tech. The younger you are they assume your a better fit for the “culture”. Some companies are totally staffed by millennials ppl under 35

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
From word of mouth ageism is rampant in tech. The younger you are they assume your a better fit for the “culture”. Some companies are totally staffed by millennials ppl under 35

Main reason to climb that ladder so you cqn coast later on/ bounce and do your own thing. I’ve seen people my parents age still in mid career roles and not even senior roles. Management isnt for everyone but imo its never wise to become complacent once you hit a career level

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps

im fortunate that its the opposite in my area. I do notice more age discrimination on young people out here, but probably more aligned with the govt contracting segment and their want for vets more than anything

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Got offered an interview by the Texas Attorney General Office for a help desk job at 46K but my dumb ass lied and told em I had my A+ :snoop:

doubt they look for a low level cert during the background check lol. Unless you are doing consulting and it is a requirement of the client that people have it.

BVII

Pro
Daps
Currently have a job as a systems engineer, that I started in January after graduating in December. I dislike the location and the work. I feel like my skillsets are going to waste, 75% of time I'm stuck in a cubicle doing developer work and the work is outside of my job role. I've been applying to jobs the past few weeks, but Is leaving a job around 8-9 months a bad look?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Currently have a job as a systems engineer, that I started in January after graduating in December. I dislike the location and the work. I feel like my skillsets are going to waste, 75% of time I'm stuck in a cubicle doing developer work and the work is outside of my job role. I've been applying to jobs the past few weeks, but Is leaving a job around 8-9 months a bad look?

What exactly do you expect yourself to be doing?

Billy Preston

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got offered an interview by the Texas Attorney General Office for a help desk job at 46K but my dumb ass lied and told em I had my A+ :snoop:

How much experience do you have? I'm trying to get an entry level help desk gig. I doubt they'll ask for your A+. They may just test your knowledge, but if u know your shyt you should be fine bro.

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
How much experience do you have? I'm trying to get an entry level help desk gig. I doubt they'll ask for your A+. They may just test your knowledge, but if u know your shyt you should be fine bro.

The cac already called and I told him over the phone I had it. Honestly the commute is too much anyways . 1.5 hr there , 1.5 hr back ever day.

I got like 5 years helpdesk/tech support experience. Right now tho I’m doing lan support, wan , server, firewalls, active directory type shyt. They paying me crumbs cuz it ain’t my “primary” position

eufemism

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
#uglygang
Week 2 of CCNA and it's like a familiar stranger :mjgrin:
Edit - Looking back at my old posts, Chris B tried to put me on game about getting my CCNA when I was 18.

I just turned 22. Better late than never :skip:

I was in this thread 2 years ago asking about the A+ when I was 20. I'm almost 23 now and I'm just finishing up the 901

I could be make 50k already instead of still working in a factory for 12/hr :snoop::snoop::snoop: