IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What market are you in?
My experience is in Business Intelligence, Data, Database...all around there. This particular role pays that much because of the company, the range for similar roles have been between $85k-$105k.

Daps
This Cysa+ got way more depth than the Sec+ for damn sure. Had to push that hoe back two weeks. :whoo:

Jumping straight to the CISSP after all this.
I'm working on this myself. I'm going to have to save up some money so by the time I have the dough I should be prepared for it. What resources are you using to study? I have to All in One book, a udemy course, and cybrary course.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I'm working on this myself. I'm going to have to save up some money so by the time I have the dough I should be prepared for it. What resources are you using to study? I have to All in One book, a udemy course, and cybrary course.
I ripped the CBT Nugget vids but those were trash.

Now I have a free Lynda account through work that im using which gets much more in depth.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My experience is in Business Intelligence, Data, Database...all around there. This particular role pays that much because of the company, the range for similar roles have been between $85k-$105k.
:ohhh: I'm a business/it major and bi is possibly a route I have thinking of taking how is your day to day? And how advanced would my SQL skills need to be

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
:ohhh: I'm a business/it major and bi is possibly a route I have thinking of taking how is your day to day? And how advanced would my SQL skills need to be

If you are trying to be a dev then you need to understand Relational and Non Relational (NoSQL) DB's and ETL concepts.

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Nice. I assume the COL is lower than DC

Most definitely! DC pays way better though, so a lot of people I know commute. If I could do it over, I would have started my earlier career in DC.

It really depends on the role you're doing. When I say development, it's been more developing reporting applications and dashboards, so I used a lot of SQL to write the scripts that pulled data into the applications. When I did Analyst work, I would use SQL more for basic querying or troubleshooting. So like getting a quick count of members or sum of dollars.I also have a lot of experience so I look for senior or lead roles that way I can command a higher salary.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Is this guy full of shyt?

Some places won't consider a candidate without a degree. Having a master's can put you ahead of the curve because they assume the holder has more knowledge/experience than someone with a bachelor's, which isn't necessarily the case. That piece of paper is definitely important. The knowledge vs a boot camp or self-teaching is different.

PikaDaDon

Thunderbolt Them Suckers
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Some places won't consider a candidate without a degree. Having a master's can put you ahead of the curve because they assume the holder has more knowledge/experience than someone with a bachelor's, which isn't necessarily the case. That piece of paper is definitely important. The knowledge vs a boot camp or self-teaching is different.

Personally I'm only interested in getting a frontend/fullstack developer job at a startup (or medium size company). I don't think a degree matters too much in my line of work. Of course if you want to work with Disney or Google or whatever you obviously need a degree. Big companies like that are obsessed with certification.