IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
Notes Card.......I would always highlight certain things in a book and then write them on a note card and carry with me.

Now this part is me and is not for everybody. I would always buy 2 books. 1 that was geared towards the cert and one that dealt with the subjects+alot more.

For example for the A+( I took the test about 7 years ago so these arent the exact books )

For the A+ ( Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802) (9780071795128): Michael Meyers: Books )

The subjects it dealt with and a whole lot more( Upgrading and Repairing PCs (20th Edition): Scott M. Mueller: 9780789747105: Amazon.com: Books ) see this book is beyond overkill for the A+, but I always wanted to know more than what was just on the test.

This practice is not only good for the exam, but also for your career.

you know you are on the right path when you start dreaming about the stuff you are studying...lol

Thats my method too. I use 2 sources and some sort of practice test after that. Whatever notes i make is on whatever practice questions i miss till i get 100% on it.

When I was going for my CISSP and CCNP Security, I cut off my cable and was putting in about 4-5 hours a day studying M-F (not to count the time I study when I'm at work which could be another 2-3 hours). And depending on how I felt, about another 4-5 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday. I haven't put my cable back on since :manny:

Soon as Cisco gets it's shyt together and release some material for the CCIE Security, I'll start studying the same way again, maybe even more. My girl already knows once I start to leave me the fukk alone for about a year. If she can't handle it, then fukk off. I'm trying to hit half a mil a year :birdman:

Only study tips is be focused and have a goal. 2-3 chapters a day and take the exam by day x. I use flash cards to study configuration, techniques, technical details, etc. Then do a practice exam at the end and any question I get wrong, go over that entire section taking notes on what I missed.

I also build labs and do simulations. If I'm studying AD stuff, I'll throw up some VM's, have AD installed, and practice whatever skill I'm learning. Same goes for Cisco or other vendors.

That's why when I read some of y'all fukk nikkas talking about reading through this thread is too long I laugh :russ:. In one summer, I read through about 10,000 pages of certification books I had bought, not even counting everything I was reading online. All while working part time at Target and being enrolled in school full time.

This industry ain't built for the nikka who wants to be spoon fed. If that's you, you'll stay at the bottom helping nikkas troubleshoot why they're computer isn't working because the dummy forgot to turn it on :nonikkas:

But don't listen to me, I'm just another lost nikka

:wow: i remember when i was on this grind. Im slowly working my way back to this.

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Carné Asada;3391473 said:
good luck breh. Programming's a biitch. Do research and stay ahead of the curve.

thanks bruh...what techniques you think can help me in this field? in terms of staying ahead of the curve?

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
thanks bruh...what techniques you think can help me in this field? in terms of staying ahead of the curve?

probably visit blogs and forums that pertain to programming to stay in the loop. Study and practice your ass off. Most programmers are self taught. The best advice I got was to build a website (if you're shooting for web development). Do something hands on.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
:ld: this was the type of shyt I should've been on last year. I went hard on CCIE voice studying from jan - june last year. took it and failed in july. came back determined to knock it out in december, but my girl ended up being a huge distraction on that ol "you always on your lab studying, you don't spend enough time with me" tip :noah: Tried to explain to her this shyt I'm doing is temporary in order to give me a huge career boost. Then holidays rolled aorund and a nikka aint touched his ccie lab since january :snoop:

straight disgust when I look at myself in the mirror now :pacspit:. I need to get that fire back and tell my chick Im gonna finish this shyt so you need to either just chill till Im done or :ufdup: I invested too much not to finish it at this point

I wish my girl would tell me that. From jump I already told her she can easily be replaced, so she got her mind right thankfully. I'd recommend you letting your broad know that if she act out of pocket, her services will no longer be needed :ufdup:

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Carné Asada;3392530 said:
probably visit blogs and forums that pertain to programming to stay in the loop. Study and practice your ass off. Most programmers are self taught. The best advice I got was to build a website (if you're shooting for web development). Do something hands on.

I appreciate the advice man, one last question is it a field that has employment opportunities if there isn't schooling involved? what type of certs (if im trying to get into web development) should I shoot for?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I appreciate the advice man, one last question is it a field that has employment opportunities if there isn't schooling involved? what type of certs (if im trying to get into web development) should I shoot for?

The cert game really ain't as important to developers I don't think. But if I had to guess, decide which language you wanna focus on (java, dot net, etc) look up the vendor, and see what they have.

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The cert game really ain't as important to developers I don't think. But if I had to guess, decide which language you wanna focus on (java, dot net, etc) look up the vendor, and see what they have.

Oh I hear that thanks, also if the certs arent as important, is school the alternative?

how do you get in the game if certs arent the priority assuming I have a language picked to focus on?

Kartel13

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh I hear that thanks, also if the certs arent as important, is school the alternative?

how do you get in the game if certs arent the priority assuming I have a language picked to focus on?

I wouldn't waste my time on school unless you know 100% that you want to go that route (as far as programming). Pick up some books, build a website, learn on your own, and if you enjoy doing it, look for some classes that may supplmenent your learning process. But don't fork over money when you have no clue what you're getting yourself into.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

I'm not a developer, so I can't really give you any advice unfortunately. Hopefully there's someone bout dat coding life can fill u in

Omar Little

It’s all in the Game Yo
Daps
Reppin
B-More
So how do I get a help desk job brehs? or should I apply at call centers. Also anyone got some links for the A+ review?

krexzen

All Star
Daps
This industry ain't built for the nikka who wants to be spoon fed. If that's you, you'll stay at the bottom helping nikkas troubleshoot why they're computer isn't working because the dummy forgot to turn it on :nonikkas:

But don't listen to me, I'm just another lost nikka

:snoop: I had to do that shyt yesterday.

And to those asking about A+

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Certification-Edition-220-801-220-802/dp/007179512X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1361932153&sr=8-1&keywords=a%2B]Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, 8th Edition (Exams 220-801 & 220-802) (9780071795128): Michael Meyers: Books[/ame]

Professor Messer's CompTIA 220-801/802 A+ Training | Professor Messer - CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Technology Training

P.S. If you get a help desk job, get used to handling the shyt in the quote above.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
cool programming site i seen on Facebook.

code.org

On my Iphone so i cant give the response I want to, but yeah Programming certs dont hold the same weight as networking/security certs. I picked up a .Net cert book a few months back. and alot of it is testing on Syntax/features of the platform.Which is good and all but dont mean you can put the features to proper use or design a program properly. Plus add to the fact that for every programming problem theres a million ways to solve it.

For example: all my co-workers know the language they use, but alot of these b*stards continue to create single functions that do multiple things which makes debugging harder.:weirdo: , but see while I may hate it. Thats the way they've been doing things for years.

Shameonyou

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We used the latest version Programming and Logic Design for my class.

what class was it? and is it pointless to try to get to programming if there is no degree related to IT attached to it? In terms of applying to jobs how does a newcomer have a shot if its a self taught process even if there is proof that you could do quality work?

thats where im having cold feet right now, im trying to get my foot in the door, but also have a good shot at getting employment if I work my ass off on my end.