IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Artenche

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Ayiti
This shyt is crazy brehs. Followed up on a couple of applications for some entry level tech support/help desk gigs and one place hit me with, "you don't have have the amount of experience we're looking for."

:stopitslime:

nikka what? You mean to tell me y'all want someone with 3-5 yrs of IT experience, so y'all can pay them $15/hr? :pachaha:No wonder this job is always posted and never filled lmao. How is something entry level if you need yrs of experience?

Anyway, I'm gonna keep grinding.:youngsabo:

50CentStan

Allahu Akbar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Ummah!
Breh avoid Miami. Its not the place to build a career. You'll also be limited to half of the open positions if your not bilingual. Dont do it. I dont know much abt LA but avoid Miami.

damn, the only reason I thought Miami might be a good choice too is cuz I seen a breh on YouTube who was a mechanic and got certs and he lives not necessarily in Miami but south Florida. and now he making bank. but good looking

Breh, you might as well just stay instate. Houston, Dallas, & Austin are great places for an IT career.

appreciate the advice. I actually would add Dallas to the list of places I want to move. good looking breh.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
This has gotta be an IT thing where stupid fukking idiots like to work in low light/dimmed light :mindblown:

Stupid motherfukkas drinking 10 cups of coffee a day and falling asleep at their desk and still refuse to turn on the lights :mindblown:

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
A dude I know has a BS in Electrical Engineering from a good school, went through a coding bootcamp, and still can't get a job (in New York). He's looking for advice, but I dunno what to tell him.

Look outside New York? Go to networking events and actually talk to people? Don't be so negative went the career people at the bootcamp are trying to help you?

Lord Z

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
CN
A dude I know has a BS in Electrical Engineering from a good school, went through a coding bootcamp, and still can't get a job (in New York). He's looking for advice, but I dunno what to tell him.

Look outside New York? Go to networking events and actually talk to people? Don't be so negative went the career people at the bootcamp are trying to help you?

I would tell him to leave NY and network as much as he can.

Just to give you an idea, my sister has over 10 years of experience in Marketing and recently was moved by her company to NY. Long story short, they ended up cutting jobs including hers and it has been months and she can't find shyt. :mjcry:

Those big cities are just something else, man

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

He's going to want to expand his search beyond New York. Applying to tech centers like Seattle or Austin is a good idea. More competition but more opportunity. If he doesn't have his projects on GitHub he's playing himself. If he doesn't mention his EE degree he's probably missing out. It takes a real effort to get an engineering degree so he should display it. If he's only doing like one or two applications per day then put your foot up his ass and kick him into gear. A job could have 50+ applicants after only a few minutes. Also peruse for typos, you'd be surprised. The best way is to print it and go over it with a pen to make sure.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Company hit me up for another interview after an initial phone call monday. I felt like I didnt do good so Im surprised they want to continue.

Im probably going to decline because the commute will suck and there are other jobs Im more interest in. The pay bump is legit but I didnt really hear anything that made me excited about the job and there werent any crazy perks.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Company hit me up for another interview after an initial phone call monday. I felt like I didnt do good so Im surprised they want to continue.

Im probably going to decline because the commute will suck and there are other jobs Im more interest in. The pay bump is legit but I didnt really hear anything that made me excited about the job and there werent any crazy perks.

I would finish the interview process. Interviewing is a skill just like any other job related task. Therefore, your interview skills improve the more you do it - If you eventually get an offer. You can use that offer letter to negotiate a better comp package at the company you want to work at.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I would finish the interview process. Interviewing is a skill just like any other job related task. Therefore, your interview skills improve the more you do it - If you eventually get an offer. You can use that offer letter to negotiate a better comp package at the company you want to work at.

Already declined to go forward lol.

An hour later another company hit me up about a phone screen.
:whew:

bucks3115

Superstar
Daps
Read 3 books(for in-depth info on the topics).

Professor Messer videos. Study Guide PDF I have. Many many different practice question websites(I'll add these later when I get time).

The questions weren't hard per se. Just confusing at times and needed to be thought through. The simulations I had were exact ones I seen online.

Can you pm the material

bucks3115

Superstar
Daps
I did, that's why I gave u my timeline :heh:

Unfortunately, it does not work like that for us :mjpls: We have to start on the desk, and earn our stripes. While "other folks" get to start at mid level positions :sas2: Find a help desk job while u study for more advanced stuff - My career took off when I read this thread and stopped waiting for ppl to put me on.

Edit:

@MilesTailsPrower @50CentStan since both of u are in the H. I recommend u try craigslist, Reynolds and Reynolds, and Pomeroy for help desk, service desk, and desktop support positions.

At least can you tell us what we should learn to be sys admin

Cuz i knw
A+
Network +
A lil bit of CCNA