IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Spin

All Star
Daps
Any of you security guys write in C#? I'm using MonoDevelop as an IDE, but having trouble with it in Kali. Do any of you use a different IDE?

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
I have been accepted to WGU in their Bachelor's degree, Cyber Security Program. I have a double major bachelor's in Econ and history. My question is, since my job is paying for it, should I do another bachelor's program, or should I do certs on my own?

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
DO NOT get another bachelors degree.

Depending who I talk to, I get different answers. I want to go the Cyber Security route, so in order t get the certs like ISC, CISSP, don't I need a sponsored company. WGU I heard let's me get the certs while I get do the degree (Linux+ ISC, security+).

Thing is, it might take me 3 years. Just wondering if I can get the same certs on my own and how long will it take if I self study?

slikkp

Pro
Daps
Depending who I talk to, I get different answers. I want to go the Cyber Security route, so in order t get the certs like ISC, CISSP, don't I need a sponsored company. WGU I heard let's me get the certs while I get do the degree (Linux+ ISC, security+).

Thing is, it might take me 3 years. Just wondering if I can get the same certs on my own and how long will it take if I self study?

You have a bachelor's which checks the education box. Get your certification on your own, which would be cheaper than school and focus on getting an IT job.

Once you have a year of experience and some certifications you can tilt job options in your favor.

If you wanna so back to school get an MS. As long as you have any bachelor's you're good.

Last edited:

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
You have a bachelor's which checks the education box. Get your certification on your own, which would be cheaper then school and focus on getting an IT job.

Once you have a year of experience and some certifications you can tilt job options in your favor.

If you wanna so back to school get an MS. As long as you have any bachelor's you're good.

I since saw that COMPTIA intoduced a CSA Cert that I am heavily interested inand plan on doing the cybersecurity fast track.

Introducing the CompTIA Cybersecurity Career Pathway

Plans changed and think Sec+ then CSA+ is the mode. Time to get it!!

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
Took the sec+ yesterday. Every question had me like:mjcry:. Finished and I was sure I failed. Got to the screen
Passing score :750
Candidate score:750:gladbron::whoo::ooh::krs::win:
Now I need to grab one more to be 8570 compliant.

I am just studying that now, wanna do that then move on to CEH

How was the exam, from the studying its a lot of network stuff

Man I hate subnetting
:mjcry:

\

For you guys studying this is a great resource for Cyber Security Free Online CompTIA Security+ Certification Training Class

Also a guy at work writes questions for the CEH exam, so I have a ton of resources if any of you want it PM me.

Ive been blown away with the shyt you can do with Kali Linux

BobbyBooshay

Arnold Jackson
Daps
Reppin
London
(Made a thread but it’s dead :mjcry:)

So I'm 30 and work at a distribution center, I really dont like my job at all, but it pays the bills atm.. I'm at about $17hr, which is decent for no degree, but again really aint shyt, and cant live off that..

I was thinking of getting into something with Network Security, but idk how to go about it exactly..

The local college has a full degree course that'll take a decent amount of time to finish while working Full-Time..

But I read about taking the CompTIA A+ cert exam...

Basically anyone who knows what the right move would be....?

Shoot for an actual degree.... Do I start trying to build certs up..?

Any input is appreciated

Certs and experience > Degrees IMO, if anything its experience over certs

The A+s are a good start and gives a good grounding, I am moving to cyber sec from Infrastructure so doing my Sec+ then CEH

This is good site - Free Online CompTIA Security+ Certification Training Class also look up Professor Messer - been around for years.

I would say do Sec+ and Network+ ( but i hear the network exam is harder than CCNA) then go from there, you wanna be techy or managerial and do something like CISSP

Daps
I am just studying that now, wanna do that then move on to CEH

How was the exam, from the studying its a lot of network stuff

Man I hate subnetting
:mjcry:
What subnetting:dahell: That's on the net+. I didn't get a single question about subnetting on the sec+. So long as you have a good understanding of all the concepts you'll be good. Most of the questions were situation based. So what to do in this situation

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
Who tryna cop the CCNA for free?

CCNA Cyber Ops
Security-Scholarship.html

Through the scholarship program, Cisco will offer free training, mentoring, and testing designed to help you earn CCNA Cyber Ops certification and hone the skills needed for the job role of security operations center analyst. The new CCNA Cyber Ops certification has been designed to address the critical skills deficit, providing the job-ready knowledge needed to meet current and future challenges in network security.

Take the first step today toward a rewarding career in cybersecurity. Partner with Cisco and become one of the talented cybersecurity professionals now in high demand in nearly all industries.

Don't worry about the qualifications. If you don't have a prerequisite cert; just check the security+ option.

You have until Dec. 8th to finish the first 3 steps if you want to take the course this month.

It took 24 hrs for me to receive the step 1 email. If you have Gmail, It will be in your "promotions" inbox.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex

CCNA Cyber Ops

Through the scholarship program, Cisco will offer free training, mentoring, and testing designed to help you earn CCNA Cyber Ops certification and hone the skills needed for the job role of security operations center analyst. The new CCNA Cyber Ops certification has been designed to address the critical skills deficit, providing the job-ready knowledge needed to meet current and future challenges in network security.

Take the first step today toward a rewarding career in cybersecurity. Partner with Cisco and become one of the talented cybersecurity professionals now in high demand in nearly all industries.

Don't worry about the qualifications. If you don't have a prerequisite cert; just check the security+ option.

You have until Dec. 8th to finish the first 3 steps if you want to take the course this month.

It took 24 hrs for me to receive the step 1 email. If you have Gmail, It will be in your "promotions" inbox.

I filled it out.

@The Hierophant I think you'll be interested in this.

Daps
Reppin
NULL

CCNA Cyber Ops

Looks like it went fast. Registration wasn't open, but I still submitted my name and email for them to hit me up when the next window opens up. Good looking out for sharing, tho!

Edit: I just saw that you said it took 24 hours to receive your step 1 email. lol. So I might still be in there!