IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
Folks in this thread don't really talk up Junior IT Admin/Engineer positions as entry-level, so I never thought of it as entry-level.

@Silkk You ever tried to go after junior Admin or junior Engineer positions?

I guess it depends on what you consider entry level. Where I've worked, those positions don't exist and even if they did, they wouldn't give them to someone without helpdesk/desktop support experience.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Folks in this thread don't really talk up Junior IT Admin/Engineer positions as entry-level, so I never thought of it as entry-level.

@Silkk You ever tried to go after junior Admin or junior Engineer positions?

I guess it depends on what you consider entry level. Where I've worked, those positions don't exist and even if they did, they wouldn't give them to someone without helpdesk/desktop support experience.

Is possible a Junior IT Admin/Engineer postion is just a glorified title for a higher tier (Level 2 or 3) Support/Tech postion?

Last edited:

Nuke Dukem

Da Bears
Daps
Reppin
Windy City
(Made a thread but it’s dead :mjcry:)

So I'm 30 and work at a distribution center, I really dont like my job at all, but it pays the bills atm.. I'm at about $17hr, which is decent for no degree, but again really aint shyt, and cant live off that..

I was thinking of getting into something with Network Security, but idk how to go about it exactly..

The local college has a full degree course that'll take a decent amount of time to finish while working Full-Time..

But I read about taking the CompTIA A+ cert exam...

Basically anyone who knows what the right move would be....?

Shoot for an actual degree.... Do I start trying to build certs up..?

Any input is appreciated

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
I have to agree with this. While its always possible, at least here in Cali, they are expecting at least 3 years of IT experience with some security related certs to go with that experience.

And that's really not unfair, to be honest. How are you going to accurately interpret log data without any systems/networking experience? How are you going to use open-source DFIR tools without some Linux knowledge and/or experience? Infosec is not a beginner's field by it's very nature.

I get that a lot of tier 1 SOC out there is basically looking at SIEM and SecureWorks-type service alerts and escalating, but those positions are dying out and for a good reason imo.

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
And that's really not unfair, to be honest. How are you going to accurately interpret log data without any systems/networking experience? How are you going to use open-source DFIR tools without some Linux knowledge and/or experience? Infosec is not a beginner's field by it's very nature.

I get that a lot of tier 1 SOC out there is basically looking at SIEM and SecureWorks-type service alerts and escalating, but those positions are dying out and for a good reason imo.
Why?

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps

IDS/IPS and SIEM tuning are getting better, therefore there is no reason to have someone to just passively sit and look at alerts and do little with them. Basically, we are getting better at automating out all the useless clicky false positive notifications. This is a good thing for security. We have so many other things we could be looking at, so much more USEFUL data we could be analyzing.

However, this is bad for many beginners who want to break into infosec because Tier 1 SOC has always been one of the easier ways to do so.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
These recruiters something else boy.

Same Desktop engineering position.

1st recruiter offer was $34/hr :ehh:

2nd recruiter offer was 47/hr :krs:

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
The offer letter says I will get the same rate for OT. I expected time and a half. :wtb: I looked it up and some ppl said it's normal when you make a lot per hour. Is that true?

@Ice_MF_Mike @the bossman @FreshFromATL

If it's in your offer letter then that's what you negotiated (or forgot to negotiate) cuz

Mirin4rmfar

Superstar
Daps
I swear waiting for a call from the hiring manager is the most depressing shyt ever:mjcry:. Had two interviews this past month with recruiters , both went well so now I am on hold waiting and waiting and waiting. Both Cyber Security positions. The recruiter from the one I wanted said I did well and she will check back with me this Friday (lol, im not optimistic).

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Had the 2nd and 3rd video interviews for a position on Wednesday. They didn't go as well as the first. Feels bad man :shaq2:

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
I swear waiting for a call from the hiring manager is the most depressing shyt ever:mjcry:. Had two interviews this past month with recruiters , both went well so now I am on hold waiting and waiting and waiting. Both Cyber Security positions. The recruiter from the one I wanted said I did well and she will check back with me this Friday (lol, im not optimistic).
Keep shooting