IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
First day of A+ class

Go hard or go home

For my NYC unemployed brehs they have free IT courses

Program called per scholas

Go online and sign up, it's a great opportunity to start up your IT career.

Thanks to that Bdizzle dude providing so much knowledge

LET'S ALL EAT B
:feedme:

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
@Silkk should I pay 1899 for a A+ class or would it be smarter to just use a book and then go take the test? :patrice:

I met with an academic adviser but idk if they're just trynna get me to spend money at their school.

Spend the money on hardware equipment you can disassemble and put back together.

Tr0yTV

All Star
Daps
I start the OSCP lab this Saturday.

90 days

200.gif

Spin

All Star
Daps
First day of A+ class

Go hard or go home

For my NYC unemployed brehs they have free IT courses

Program called per scholas

Go online and sign up, it's a great opportunity to start up your IT career.

Thanks to that Bdizzle dude providing so much knowledge

LET'S ALL EAT B
:feedme:

Npower is another good program with locations all over the country. They seem to have a good employment network too.

NPower

BaRRyG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NyC
I'm also getting the PDF of the A+ /network+ and security +, I'll share it as soon as I get it, should be Monday tho.

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
I'm also getting the PDF of the A+ /network+ and security +, I'll share it as soon as I get it, should be Monday tho.

I have a few couple that I already shared in this thread. I can relink them later today.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
To think it's been 2 years since I got my CCNA and I haven't gotten another cert since.. Currently working on my RHCSA.

Some things I've learned since getting my first IT gig almost 2 years ago:

-Be hungrier than everyone around you
-Work smarter, not harder
-Ask questions, show interest and don't be afraid to wander outside of you comfort zone; ask for responsibilities outside of your job description if you feel you can handle them
-Soft skills (This is VERY important if you're on your way up)
-Learn how to sell yourself, take interviews for jobs that are at your level or beneath you if you have the time.. it will help you up your interview skills.
--I got passed up on a job at a great MSP about 8 months ago for 50k because while I destroyed the practical technical, I was super nervous throughout the face to face.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago and I've turned down a 50k offer and I'm about to turn down another 55k. Just accepted an offer for 60k from a great company with huge room for growth. Gonna give this gig 18-24 months, by that time I should have the skill set to jump into the 80-90k range.
I'm slightly behind where I really wanna be but still on track to hit 100k+ within 5 years.

Oh.. and fukk HELPDESK!!