IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
@Ice_MF_Mike I was talking with my lead security guy and he says the best security personnel come to tend from systems and network design first, then going into security. Is this true?

:jbhmm:
I mean, generally speaking yes. Good Security pros have deep knowledge of systems and networking and leverage that in the security world. Its why you rarely see entry level security jobs, because people need to already have a good amount of knowledge. You cant stop a user on your network if you dont know all the ways the user can traverse your network and systems first.

Having said that, Infosec in itself is a huge space that ranges from very technical roles to roles that sit mostly on the business side of things. Someone on the Audit or Compliance team for example may not have any systems and networking knowledge in some cases. But generally speaking you are going to have more success having that systems and networking experience first and then making that move to security.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Screw a severance I would've told them to kick rocks. If the Outsourcing company doesn't have people smart enough to do my job without training too bad.

Facing layoff at Carnival, IT employee makes bold counteroffer

In early December, Carnival Corp. told about 200 IT employees that the company was transferring their work to Capgemini, a large IT outsourcing firm. The employees had a choice: Either agree to take a job with the contractor or leave without severance.

The employees had until this week to make a decision about their future with the cruise line.

By agreeing to a job with Paris-based Capgemini, employees are guaranteed employment for six months, said Roger Frizzell, a Carnival spokesman. "Our expectation is that many will continue to work on our account or placed into other open positions within Capgemini" that go well beyond the six-month period, he said in an email.

"We believe this is an opportunity to strengthen and improve our IT operation, but also a better long-term option for our IT employees to have employment with a top IT firm," Frizzell said.

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
Does anyone in this thread work on graphic design...?

Also would anyone be interested in possibly writing articles/reviews for my site..?

FatherSimp

Enough white hoes to last me thru ATL
Daps
NYC is backwards with these IT jobs :snoop:

4 years of Help desk experience for a Level 1 Help Desk position :mindblown:

I'm bout to just stick with these contract jobs instead :rudy:

Saiyajin

Superstar
Daps
The CERTS game been good to a young breh :wow:
Just got an offer for a 1st/2nd line support engineer position which would increase my salary by $5k + 15 minutes drive instead of 40 minutes at a deadend data entry role :ehh:
Had a phone interview with Cisco Meraki just off the strength of putting CCNA certified on my resume :banderas:
Got a few other interviews coming up and even didn't bother to turn up to one as I consider it below my CERT level :mjlol2:
1 CERT and i'm eating good can't wait till I reach the 6 CERTS 6 figures club :mjcry:
Would you recommend getting a CCNA cert as my first cert akhi :mjcry:

I need to switch career paths because I dont want to work in my current field (Sport science) :mjcry:

:prayyy:

Ikwa

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Would you recommend getting a CCNA cert as my first cert akhi :mjcry:

I need to switch career paths because I dont want to work in my current field (Sport science) :mjcry:

:prayyy:
Yes akh, CCNA will give you a good understanding of local networks and their infrastructure. It should land you a job in IT and you can then continue getting Certs as you gain vital work experience. My next Cert conquest will be CCNP :wow:

Saiyajin

Superstar
Daps
Yes akh, CCNA will give you a good understanding of local networks and their infrastructure. It should land you a job in IT and you can then continue getting Certs as you gain vital work experience. My next Cert conquest will be CCNP :wow:
thank u

I downloaded courses on CCNA but I also heard the ethical hacker cert is good, should I also pursue that? Is it beginner level ?

Also do you know anything about the PMP cert Project management?