IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Congratulations either way!

@AdvantageSouthpaw when are you going to make the decision

So what happens now is a background check. Right now I'm waiting on the information for the background check to come to me.

So this is at the six figure mark for the role, but again like I mentioned before I'd be a bit more satisfied with 10K more, but given that Austin TX is affordable (outside of some crazy housing prices) and the fact that I felt I was overpaid in my last role, that is actually a really good salary for me considering just a year ago I was making roughly 65K in my previous role. For me to make such a jump though I'm gracious regardless.

Also it says something about my skillset and tenacity that I got a job offer in a six week turnaround.

I have contacts at two other companies; IBM and Cloudflare. Cloudflare is a really cool company and I think my skillset would transfer quite well over there. I was initially contacted for a position in San Francisco but I was asked would you consider a team in the Austin office. My old coworker has some pull and may be able to convince the team lead for that role to get me into the Austin office so I will have to talk to the recruiter on that next week.

Even if it is in SF I will at least entertain it and if they fly me out there even better :yeshrug:

Right now I'm dealing with an issue with my severance pay. I haven't received it yet but all of my medical benefits I get according the the severance package I'm getting. They may have received my documents a little late, but I should still get it because most places offer severance as a CYA so they don't get into litigation with their former employee. I contacted the HR lady on that so hopefully I hear something next week and get my first installment in.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Yo what certs should I get in order for me to get a job ASAP after? Also should I sign up for training or should I self-study?

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
I self studied and watched videos online (professor Messer)
Can you give me the whole rundown on what exactly I would need to do to get a job in the I.T field and how long it would take me?

I already have a basic understanding of computers from building my own and going through lots of software and hardware problems.

semtex

:)
Daps
To the devs in here: when you first began your career, did you receive any sort of mentorship on the job or was it more of a sink or swim situation? I've been a professional dev for 2.5 years now and I have taken most of my learning upon myself. Very little guidance at work because the M.O. is just to produce and firefight :scust:

semtex

:)
Daps
Cats kill me with this "Whats the quickest way to"

IF you arent willing to grind and figure out what you want to do this field is not for you and you will be exposed ASAP.
I think it's the ridiculous availability of resources that make people think it's a free-for-all type of situation. Speaking as a software engineer, no codeacademy or udemy bullshyt will teach you how to be a good dev within the context of an enterprise. There are no greenfield projects, but legacy products in which you have to code around and refactor a bunch of nonsensical existing code without breaking it.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I think it's the ridiculous availability of resources that make people think it's a free-for-all type of situation. Speaking as a software engineer, no codeacademy or udemy bullshyt will teach you how to be a good dev within the context of an enterprise. There are no greenfield projects, but legacy products in which you have to code around and refactor a bunch of nonsensical existing code without breaking it.

Cats will lurn the hard way.

HoldThisL

Captain L
Daps
Bruh. Step 1. Read through this entire thread.

Nah im cool breh. Not reading this thread, cause I already found the answers I was looking for.

Plus I am not trying to make I.T a long term career. I just needed the most basic entry level job for right now which I found already :manny:

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Cats kill me with this "Whats the quickest way to"

IF you arent willing to grind and figure out what you want to do this field is not for you and you will be exposed ASAP.

On the bright side, greater job security and more money for those of us who do.

DrDoom

All Star
Daps
Can you give me the whole rundown on what exactly I would need to do to get a job in the I.T field and how long it would take me?

I already have a basic understanding of computers from building my own and going through lots of software and hardware problems.

I started out with Messer A+, building, staying on top of the OS's , and just learning as much as I can from experience. Once I got my A+ cert. I put my resume out there. 2 things u have to be open to low pay and bad hour contract work (I was in banking 8 yrs as an assistant manager and made decent money). My first job was contract work in a NOC making 18.00 an hour working overnight 12am to 12pm. I learned to capitalize on what I learned and got another contract somewhere making 50k. Wanted more and a perm role. Worked at a hospital for one yr doing help desk hoping for the perm call. Never got it. Just got this job at an investment bank, service desk 60 k perm role.

That's my journey. Learning all the os's currently to better troubleshoot (raspian, ubuntu, sierra, and win 7 and 10).