IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So I got an offer as anticipated from NetSuite. Lower than I anticipated but high amount of equity. The issue is that I'm going to a place with a higher cost of living than I was living in and getting lower salary. I would be comfortable with 10K more on top of the offer.

So I have to consider some things here.

you planning on actually staying or more so is it something to do until you find what you really want?

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
you planning on actually staying or more so is it something to do until you find what you really want?

So, I think in my last role I was paid much more than I was worth lol. The job was remote and the fact that the company was in a start-up mode you may be offered more in exchange for volatility of the role. I had a role many years ago that I was paid more than I thought I was worth but it was a startup. Both in these instances I stayed at the company for 10 months before layoffs.

I was anticipating getting offers for lower salaries knowing this. I just wish I was getting 5-10K more. BUT the kicker is that I get vested stocks every year which is a thing to consider if the company does well, then that's more retirement money and liquidity for me.

Honestly, for the roles I'm looking at in Austin and what they offered me was pretty good. I would be very comfortable and it's a low six figure salary. The cost of living in Austin is low actually. What I'd have to worry about is stuff like housing and energy costs but overall it's good for me.

So I verbally accepted it to kick off the background check, but I have other companies contacting me as well so I'd like to entertain those too.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
So, I think in my last role I was paid much more than I was worth lol. The job was remote and the fact that the company was in a start-up mode you may be offered more in exchange for volatility of the role. I had a role many years ago that I was paid more than I thought I was worth but it was a startup. Both in these instances I stayed at the company for 10 months before layoffs.

I was anticipating getting offers for lower salaries knowing this. I just wish I was getting 5-10K more. BUT the kicker is that I get vested stocks every year which is a thing to consider if the company does well, then that's more retirement money and liquidity for me.

Honestly, for the roles I'm looking at in Austin and what they offered me was pretty good. I would be very comfortable and it's a low six figure salary. The cost of living in Austin is low actually. What I'd have to worry about is stuff like housing and energy costs but overall it's good for me.

So I verbally accepted it to kick off the background check, but I have other companies contacting me as well so I'd like to entertain those too.
bet good luck

DamienWayne

Superstar
Daps
any advice for a breh recently graduated with a BS in biology but no interest in medical school?

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
How do you guys use LinkedIn when applying to positions? Do you send the recruiters messages? And if so, what do you say?

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Haven't been in here in a while, but a few quick updates.

Got a new Desktop job, Salary & 7-4 M-F so I finally got time to do shyt again. Back to actually doing technical shyt again and learning also.

Thinking i'm going to back to school in Jan and at least get my associates in Cyber Security. Much more IT based courses and only 1 math class(:pacspit:) vs Computer science which has like 4. Most of the courses would be shyt I know i'd kill like Windows, Networking, Security, Virtualization, etc

And I got my secret weapon :shaq:

limitless_image_bradley_cooper-600x333.jpg
How do you get into cyber security brehs? I am working on a cert program, I made A's in all of my classes, I have top level experience professionally in another field but I want in with cyber. I am tired of contract jobs in a slightly limited market and I enjoy security, labs and penetration testing better. I was working on Powershell earlier to spend 3 hours reformatting my hard drives. I want this worse than Kobe want rings. Someone help me at least get in. I send a thousands resumes with no responses. I have been reading books for Sec+ and I have been doing classes. I need some experience in this field professionally.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
How do you get into cyber security brehs? I am working on a cert program, I made A's in all of my classes, I have top level experience professionally in another field but I want in with cyber. I am tired of contract jobs in a slightly limited market and I enjoy security, labs and penetration testing better. I was working on Powershell earlier to spend 3 hours reformatting my hard drives. I want this worse than Kobe want rings. Someone help me at least get in. I send a thousands resumes with no responses. I have been reading books for Sec+ and I have been doing classes. I need some experience in this field professionally.

Get whatever the industry standard entry lvl cert is for the security field (i assume sec+). Tailor your current experience on your resume to lean towards security. Take a paycut if needed as once you get one relevent job you can finesse your experience and make it sound bigger than it was.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Get whatever the industry standard entry lvl cert is for the security field (i assume sec+). Tailor your current experience on your resume to lean towards security. Take a paycut if needed as once you get one relevent job you can finesse your experience and make it sound bigger than it was.
That's my plan, I will take a 40k paycut to get a chance in this field. I know after 6 months to a year, I can leave or move up for closer to my normal salary. If I can't, I will stick around, learn EVERYTHING and continue to build my portfolio.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
That's my plan, I will take a 40k paycut to get a chance in this field. I know after 6 months to a year, I can leave or move up for closer to my normal salary. If I can't, I will stick around, learn EVERYTHING and continue to build my portfolio.

Id say look at going to a consulting company if youre young. They hire anyone who can communicate decently lol.

Silkk

Thats My Quarterback :to:
Daps
:wtf:

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Lol yeah thats like going from a senior role back to entry level. Id never do it but different strokes for different folks
That's what I am in. A Senior role but employment is a bytch. Contract work only for the most part in most cities. On top of that, I can't turn this into a legit business. I can turn this into a legit business and do it all over the world once I improve my skills. I am working on AWS Cloud, Sec+, labs, etc. Everything.

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Id say look at going to a consulting company if youre young. They hire anyone who can communicate decently lol.
Most are running away from my resume. They see senior and even though I get calls and I explain it clearly, most companies want entry level kids (not adults). My company hires too many senior level to transfer from my department to there dept.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Most are running away from my resume. They see senior and even though I get calls and I explain it clearly, most companies want entry level kids (not adults). My company hires too many senior level to transfer from my department to there dept.
Yeah consulting company may be your best bet because you can finesse that experience into anything.