IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
But if you want to actually know how to exploit various systems the OSCP will teach you way more.

I do agree with this statement.

I am looking forward to the CEH class, and already do quite a bit at home on my own lab. I ain't gonna stop at the CEH, but it is a place to start and build off of.

I would love to do the OSCP class, and for 1100 bucks you can take the online class, 90 day lab access and take the test. That is money well invested IMO.

G-Zeus

G-Zeus Chrystler...the brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Brehsident evil
I do aight. I gotta interview with Cisco coming up. Don't know if I really want it though. You'd think them nikkas would pay more :shaq2:

nah.. you know how it is... having their name on your resume = :boss: so they dont have to pay much :facepalm:

heck they 3rd party many of the "engineers"

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
nah.. you know how it is... having their name on your resume = :boss: so they dont have to pay much :facepalm:

heck they 3rd party many of the "engineers"

Not really breh. I got AT&T's name on my resume (they have the largest network in the US I believe) and it really ain't help that much.

At the end of the day, all the current client wants to know is can you get the job done. shyt most the time they don't even really do reference checks on the real.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
This thread delivers to everyone on the come up. I was able to get a entry level It job with no college degree starting out at 35k thanks to the people here. There's only one way but to go up from here

Don't forget breh....GET.THE.fukk.OUT.OF.HELP.DESK.ASAP! :skip:

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
Not really breh. I got AT&T's name on my resume (they have the largest network in the US I believe) and it really ain't help that much.

Little fun fact....NMCI (Navy/Marine Corp Internet) is the largest network not only in American, but in the world.

From Wiki: Navy/Marine Corps Intranet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As of March 2008, NMCI included more than 363,000 computers, serving more than 707,000 Sailors, Marines and civilians in 620 locations in the continental United States, Hawaii, and Japan, making it the largest internal computer network in the world.[1] The network's 4,100 servers handle over 2.3 petabytes of data.[2]

Not trying to one-up anyone, I contracted for the DoD for a couple years working on NMCI network and thought I would share this fact.

McTwerk

Dreams and Nightmares
Daps
Reppin
In the Cloud
This thread delivers to everyone on the come up. I was able to get a entry level It job with no college degree starting out at 35k thanks to the people here. There's only one way but to go up from here

Everyone starts somewhere. Gotta put in your time in the trenches and figure out what direction you want to take your career.

I started out as a Level 1 Call Center Support Rep, moved into System Admin position, got some serious security experience while contracting for the DoD and now I :eat: real well as a Ethical Hacker\Cyber Security Analyst for a large financial firm. :win:

It is a great career with so many possibilities and you can make some good cake along the way.

Imyremeshaw

كن التغير الذي تريد أن تراه في العالم
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I want to thank each and everyone of you guys for this valuable knowledge y'all dropping in this thread. Im currently working as IS Auditor for Washington DC firm( graduated with degree in History/Political Sci, lol), just today got taking CISA exam to be certified in what Im doing. shyt was harder than muthafukka, but I love this IT stuff. Even though I work more on the theoritical side of things, I wanna the technical side of IT just to know and be best at what I do. So Im going hard, taking the CompTIA A+, Network, and Security+ test within the next 2 months, then SSCP test in March/April( wanna eventually get that CISSP). Anybody have any recommendations after that? Also, I realize this IT stuff is really all about you know( Im lucker than muthafukka) what can you do other certifications to make yourself stand out from everybody else?

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Whats up. So I'm thinking about switching my major from Physical Therapy to Computer Information Systems or Computer Engineering(yeah I know, BIG change)

I was thinking about taking a basic computer class that covers everything from how to write a powerpoint and even microchips and a little bit of networking etc. THing is this class apparently is not require for any of these majors.

Should I just take the class since my knowledge of computers is pretty basic or would I just be waisting my time?

semtex

:)
Daps
Whats up. So I'm thinking about switching my major from Physical Therapy to Computer Information Systems or Computer Engineering(yeah I know, BIG change)

I was thinking about taking a basic computer class that covers everything from how to write a powerpoint and even microchips and a little bit of networking etc. THing is this class apparently is not require for any of these majors.

Should I just take the class since my knowledge of computers is pretty basic or would I just be waisting my time?
if you think that class would prepare you for this shyt in any way shape or form, you are in for a RUDE awakening :pachaha:

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also how hard is it to get a basic helpdesk job? I've heeard of people who only have a high school diploma and were able to get one (maybe they had connections??). And are these jobs part time?

I'm not all too familiar with the industry like that so any help would be welcomed. Im just ready to leave this damn grocery store job that I'm at now:scusthov: