IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Daps
I feel u. I guess i was looking to know if there was like a professor messor of the MSCA that I was missing. I know when I firat started my Comptia stuff I didn't know about him and it would have saved me a bunch of time if I had. But, since this is higher level its probably not like that. I just wanted to make sure.
I mean there are courses for certs. But forget that. You need to learn stuff on your own. Do the following and it will be a good start

1. Acquire a cheap desktop and make that your server(even better build a server, you could do this on the cheap for like $300 easy).
2. Turn it into a VMware host by installing VMware ESXI on it. This is free.
3. Create a Windows server VM.
4. Turn it into a domain controller
5. Create VMS for: file server, Exchange, desktop
6. Create users
7. Play with active directory and push settings out to the various VMs

That alone should keep you busy and you will learn a ton of valuable shyt that you can use in many IT roles. Once you get there then look at the text books for MCSA they should have labs that you can practice.

bnm8907

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean there are courses for certs. But forget that. You need to learn stuff on your own. Do the following and it will be a good start

1. Acquire a cheap desktop and make that your server(even better build a server, you could do this on the cheap for like $300 easy).
2. Turn it into a VMware host by installing VMware ESXI on it. This is free.
3. Create a Windows server VM.
4. Turn it into a domain controller
5. Create VMS for: file server, Exchange, desktop
6. Create users
7. Play with active directory and push settings out to the various VMs

That alone should keep you busy and you will learn a ton of valuable shyt that you can use in many IT roles. Once you get there then look at the text books for MCSA they should have labs that you can practice.

Thanks for the reply

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
3 more semesters till I get my AS in Computer Network & Security. Have my A+ cert with only Network+, Security+, Linux+ & a few Microsoft certs to go. Any insight on what entry level jobs I should look into to gain some experience before graduating?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
3 more semesters till I get my AS in Computer Network & Security. Have my A+ cert with only Network+, Security+, Linux+ & a few Microsoft certs to go. Any insight on what entry level jobs I should look into to gain some experience before graduating?
Help desk

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
help desk or look for a NOC

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Hey guys, working pro.

I want to get into InfoSec. What are skills I need for entry. I am currently in school. 4.0GPA. I have Kali Linux which I use at times but not much. I been in IT in general for nearly 10 years. What are tools and skills I need to learn.

I am about to get my Sec+.

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Hey guys, working pro.

I want to get into InfoSec. What are skills I need for entry. I am currently in school. 4.0GPA. I have Kali Linux which I use at times but not much. I been in IT in general for nearly 10 years. What are tools and skills I need to learn.

I am about to get my Sec+.

Lucky you :pacspit:

My advisor told me I have to take A+ > Network+ > Security+ > Linux+ all in that order. Thankfully the price of the class includes the cost of taking the CompTIA exams as well so not only do I receive the credits needed for my degree but also a certification at the end of each course.

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I had to leave Atlanta when I was looking for a help desk job. I wasn't impressed by what I saw at all.

I left Atlanta for Texas for my career. Just sayin'

If you are a DBA or interested in working in Healthcare IT then Atlanta would be good. I also have a contact at GE Digital that is opening a bunch of roles b/c they are trying to migrate much of their business to "The Cloud"