IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

ViShawn

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I feel good about this Oracle role.

It does seem that there will be a lot of shyt though in regards to work and toil. I think I will be able to make impact in the role and make a lot of automation to solve problems. Seemed like a real good team fit. Plus they took me out to lunch.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Anyone ever get the MCSA SQL Cert? I get the student discount and have taken a few SQL courses and just finished up a Business Intelligence course and was thinking about doing em and maybe even the MCSE BI cert.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I feel good about this Oracle role.

It does seem that there will be a lot of shyt though in regards to work and toil. I think I will be able to make impact in the role and make a lot of automation to solve problems. Seemed like a real good team fit. Plus they took me out to lunch.
Congrats breh, youre in the Bay area?

Daps
Reppin
MD
I got an offer from one of the Big4 to become a Cyber Security Consultant. They offered me 10k more than I'm making now. I know this job will open more doors in the future. I did try and counter their offer but the recruiter responded back with "we will not be updating our offer to 90k at this time". I've heard people say you shouldn't switch to another consulting firm unless you're seeing a 20% increase in pay, any truth in that? Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to up the salary before next Monday?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I got an offer from one of the Big4 to become a Cyber Security Consultant. They offered me 10k more than I'm making now. I know this job will open more doors in the future. I did try and counter their offer but the recruiter responded back with "we will not be updating our offer to 90k at this time". I've heard people say you shouldn't switch to another consulting firm unless you're seeing a 20% increase in pay, any truth in that? Does anyone have any tips on how to get them to up the salary before next Monday?
If you arent worried about not taking the job then say you got an offer for more elsewhere. If you actually want the job then just accept it.

Unless you are already at another big4 then once you bounce from this new gig you will have the leverage to command more based on experience and the name recognition.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
id take it off the name alone

the money will come

Daps

Sounds like the only play if you really want more is to stand firm and say you need 90k to make the move. Is the job worth walking away from if you dont get 90k? Do you have ANY leverage? Id think long and hard on that. 10k jump is decent enough and you can always bounce sooner if you dont like it and probably get another 10k or more bump.

Daps
Reppin
MD
Sounds like the only play if you really want more is to stand firm and say you need 90k to make the move. Is the job worth walking away from if you dont get 90k? Do you have ANY leverage? Id think long and hard on that. 10k jump is decent enough and you can always bounce sooner if you dont like it and probably get another 10k or more bump.
yea I could walk away, if I needed to. I just know at my current job I'm seriously under paid with the amount of working experience I have. I still have a few more days to think about this but good looks on the advice.

Daps
yea I could walk away, if I needed to. I just know at my current job I'm seriously under paid with the amount of working experience I have. I still have a few more days to think about this but good looks on the advice.
If you walk away your still underpaid, but by much more. Might as well take the new gig and keep looking as a worst case scenario.

Daps
Reppin
MD
If you walk away your still underpaid, but by much more. Might as well take the new gig and keep looking as a worst case scenario.
you're right about that. I'm going take this new gig, finish up these last 6 credits of my masters program and get these certs.