IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

yakamein

#milfhunter
Daps
Reppin
NOLA2HTOWN
I wrote an updated starting point post a while back, but I can't remember what page it's on.

Cliff Notes: A+ --> Try to get a help desk job --> Net+* --> MCSA: Windows 10 and OSX Support Essentials^ cert --> try to help desk job --> After getting your first job decide what IT path you wanna go and study in that direction.

*Some people argue that you don't have to get this cert; just know the material. Full disclosure: I don't have it
^Might only be necessary in NYC, LA, maybe Chicago and Boston. At the very least just read up on troubleshooting Macs and startup commands for them (Ex: How to do boot into safe mode and when to do so)
Searched through your posts, and couldn't find anything.

Pyrexcup

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Got out of PMO/Consulting and going back to Software Dev :blessed:

I more than doubled my salary in my 4 yrs of Professional experience brehs :wow:

Hardwork and patience pays off brehs :wow::mjcry:
what made you switch back o soft dev? im torn between if i want to go into it or softev once i get my degree

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Searched through your posts, and couldn't find anything.

I found it. It's pretty much the same thing I said in the other post.
1. Study for and pass the 2 A+ certification exams

Book to read: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, by Michael Meyers The edition of the book you use will depend upon whether you take the exam before June 30 (?). After which, a new version of the exam will come out. Also go to CompTIA's site and read up on the exams.

Study resource: Search YouTube for: Professor Messer A+

2. Try to get a help desk job.

3. Do what you did for step 1, but for the CompTIA Network+ exam (some people in this thread say this step is optional; I never did it)

3b. Do you have a help desk job yet? Look at job listings in your area. Are they asking for Windows knowledge or Mac?

4. Depending on your answer to 3b -- Study for and take either: MCSA: Windows 10 exam or OSX Support Essentials exam or both

4b. Do you have a help desk job yet?? Because you should've have been applying for one since you got your A+ cert.

5. With the certs and\or experience under your belt, you can pick an IT career path to focus on.

If you've any questions just ask.

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I swear some of these position these recruiter are reaching out to me for, I'm super under qualified for. I had 3 phone calls from recruiters yesterday. One of the recruiters wanted me to relocate to Erie, PA for a DLP manager position. The other was from a big 4 firm and he told me trying to get a salary of 90k+ might be a stretch. The last recruiter actually set up a interview for later this week, but I have no interest in a job 50+ miles one way from my house.

My issue is that I'm doing alot of FISCAM, RMF and NIST security audit work. I'm trying to get into something more technical like IR, vulnerability assessment and management. How can I make that switch when I don't have any actually work experience in those areas? I can program and I've done a few CTF in the past.

I wouldn't waste my time doing Incident Response. Because you'll work twice as hard for not much more money. Vulnerability Management will always be around but it's boring as fukk. Pentesting will remain far more lucrative than IR and Vulnerability Management because it takes less resources.

Daps
Reppin
MD
I wouldn't waste my time doing Incident Response. Because you'll work twice as hard for not much more money. Vulnerability Management will always be around but it's boring as fukk. Pentesting will remain far more lucrative than IR and Vulnerability Management because it takes less resources.

beside the gems @bdizzle was dropping do you have any tips on how to get a job in pen testing?

JT-Money

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
beside the gems @bdizzle was dropping do you have any tips on how to get a job in pen testing?

I'm actually trying to transfer away from IR and Vulnerability Management to Penetration Testing now. I plan on taking the CEH course and getting certification. After that I'm not sure what I'll do but I'll make sure to update this thread once I've figured it out.

Daps
Reppin
MD
I'm actually trying to transfer away from IR and Vulnerability Management to Penetration Testing now. I plan on taking the CEH course and getting certification. After that I'm not sure what I'll do but I'll make sure to update this thread once I've figured it out.

I was studying for the SSCP but I'm going to stop that and focus on setting up a lab and learn how to compromise systems and the CEH.