IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Soooo I had another interview today with a different company for a Network Engineer role and the shyt went too well :dead: Was only supposed to meet 2 people ended up meeting with the CIO/VP as well.

I feel like if I get and accept an offer this is gonna challenge the shyt outta me. But am I setting myself up for failure at the same time?
- I would be the lone network engineer. Meaning I have no one else to feed off of, no one to get help from. I would be in complete charge of the network :wow:. Never had anything like that before. The challenge will be something else there is a lot I have to learn for this role (wireless, firewalls, VOIP, loadbalancers and all the other ccie level shyt idk).
Having that experience on the resume with free reign to do whatever :banderas:

- The network engineer told me straight up this is a lot of work, the guy before him fukked up the network and he basically has been fixing it since :dead: He felt since I am confident in my IOS skills it was a perfect role for a guy like me whose starting in the network engineering to get the hands on and be able to fix it all. It could be fixed in 6months he said but he never had the time, mind you he has only been there for 8 months. He's going back to his old job for a higher paying IPT engineer spot.
- When shyt hits the fan I better know what to do or else :mjcry:. Thats my fear right now but scared money dont make no money:dame:

How much would yall ask for salary wise ? This is in the city by the way, i'm feeling like imma cash out :mjpls:

The place I interviewed with yesterday is checking my references right now. Im assuming thats a good sign? Network Engineer role on a team of 3. Still alot of shyt I have to learn but less stress since I can fall back on others. What y'all think?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Soooo I had another interview today with a different company for a Network Engineer role and the shyt went too well :dead: Was only supposed to meet 2 people ended up meeting with the CIO/VP as well.

I feel like if I get and accept an offer this is gonna challenge the shyt outta me. But am I setting myself up for failure at the same time?
- I would be the lone network engineer. Meaning I have no one else to feed off of, no one to get help from. I would be in complete charge of the network :wow:. Never had anything like that before. The challenge will be something else there is a lot I have to learn for this role (wireless, firewalls, VOIP, loadbalancers and all the other ccie level shyt idk).
Having that experience on the resume with free reign to do whatever :banderas:

- The network engineer told me straight up this is a lot of work, the guy before him fukked up the network and he basically has been fixing it since :dead: He felt since I am confident in my IOS skills it was a perfect role for a guy like me whose starting in the network engineering to get the hands on and be able to fix it all. It could be fixed in 6months he said but he never had the time, mind you he has only been there for 8 months. He's going back to his old job for a higher paying IPT engineer spot.
- When shyt hits the fan I better know what to do or else :mjcry:. Thats my fear right now but scared money dont make no money:dame:

How much would yall ask for salary wise ? This is in the city by the way, i'm feeling like imma cash out :mjpls:

The place I interviewed with yesterday is checking my references right now. Im assuming thats a good sign? Network Engineer role on a team of 3. Still alot of shyt I have to learn but less stress since I can fall back on others. What y'all think?

Better Bust they head for the Salary if you will be the only dude on the job.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
For anyone who took the MCSA Server 2012, how many hours did you put in? How much time between exams? How long did it take you in total?

I plan on substituting the 412 with the 70-346 first half of MSCA:O365 and just grab 2 certs with 4 tests.

Any advice would be great.

Sassy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I have questions for the black IT Cert gang.

1. Was it hard finding a job in this field as a black person?

2. As a black person, is going in the IT field the right direction? What I mean by that is, is it worth going through all the trouble for the field?

3. What are the tips for getting jobs in the entry-level IT positions?

4. Do employers care about your first name? (I know there's discrimination in every field)

I'm asking all of this because I've been job searching entry-level IT related work (anything to do with Microsoft Excel and Word atm) and I'm getting no call backs. So I'm going to be honest and say I am slightly, if not more so discouraged lately. I'm starting to wonder if it's my name, and other factors. and if I should give up on pursuing this career and probably do STNA (I don't want to, but it seems I see more people who look like me there than in any field I can think of atm)

To be honest, it's very frustrating. But I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction.

Please and thank you! :salute:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I have questions for the black IT Cert gang.

1. Was it hard finding a job in this field as a black person?

2. As a black person, is going in the IT field the right direction? What I mean by that is, is it worth going through all the trouble for the field?

3. What are the tips for getting jobs in the entry-level IT positions?

4. Do employers care about your first name? (I know there's discrimination in every field)

I'm asking all of this because I've been job searching entry-level IT related work (anything to do with Microsoft Excel and Word atm) and I'm getting no call backs. So I'm going to be honest and say I am slightly, if not more so discouraged lately. I'm starting to wonder if it's my name, and other factors. and if I should give up on pursuing this career and probably do STNA (I don't want to, but it seems I see more people who look like me there than in any field I can think of atm)

To be honest, it's very frustrating. But I was wondering if any of you could point me in the right direction.

Please and thank you! :salute:

Theres discrimination in any field. What is your background because Excel and Word are used in Admin Assistant roles so it's not really something you should be trying to sell yourself with. What is it that YOU want to do with yourself?

Sassy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Theres discrimination in any field. What is your background because Excel and Word are used in Admin Assistant roles so it's not really something you should be trying to sell yourself with. What is it that YOU want to do with yourself?

My background is just those two for now (I just recently passed my exam a week ago with the school I'm currently attending) as far as in the IT field? so many roads to go with, it's hard to pick one to be honest.

And what do I want to do? Be in the IT field (I love computers). I considered STNA at one point, but due to my mother passed recently, I realize I could never get used to seeing people dying before my eyes....that and the pay and the clean up is kinda :huhldup: