IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
brehs what certs should i get ? :ohhh::ohhh:

will i get employed if i have certs and some work/intern experience ? :jbhmm::jbhmm:

should i go start off at a help desk job first to gain work/intern experience ? :jbhmm::jbhmm:
I wrote an updated starting point post a while back, but I can't remember what page it's on.

Cliff Notes: A+ --> Try to get a help desk job --> Net+* --> MCSA: Windows 10 and OSX Support Essentials^ cert --> try to help desk job --> After getting your first job decide what IT path you wanna go and study in that direction.

*Some people argue that you don't have to get this cert; just know the material. Full disclosure: I don't have it
^Might only be necessary in NYC, LA, maybe Chicago and Boston. At the very least just read up on troubleshooting Macs and startup commands for them (Ex: How to do boot into safe mode and when to do so)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I read through this entire thread this past week and this man was on to something :jbhmm:

I know for 100% fact these indians look out for each other like what he's describing below

I like this topic but the thing I don't understand is this:

How did I go to school for a 4 year degree and pay for Certification exams.
And the first thing people say in here is to find an entry-level help desk job that pays a max of $15 in the US? And grind for how many years before I can move up or risk getting laid off?

I want to know how to hustle these stupid recruiters into giving me the same gigs that these clueless foreigners get!

I know for a fact that these Asians and Arabs in IT work on the buddy system and coach each other on how to handle different aspects of software and applications. THEY ARE NOT EXPERTS any more than I am.

People say network network, but most people I know cant even relate to advanced IT subjects like I can, and most people are not trying to help me advance if I did get hired.

People nowadays don't respect a person who stay quiet and get quiet money in IT. They only rock with people who are loud and popular. What can I put on my application to defeat the online Taleo applications screeners?

I appreciate all the info, BUT I NEED TO FIND some concrete strategy, I'm trying to come up the honest way instead of faking my way through.

A+, CCNA, Windows Server, some rookie level Java experience, and I always deal with Linux, and Mac Lion OS, I know mobile applications as far as jailbreaking every smartphone I have ever had. I have been experimenting with Oracle, VMware, and different security protocols.

I am not a one man start-up company. I think we need to start our own IT ponzi scheme to promote all our skill levels, fake references, job titles and the whole deal. I am the type to help people without expecting something in advance, but I really do need that type of boost to jump start my own hustle.

Daps
Reppin
MD
I swear some of these position these recruiter are reaching out to me for, I'm super under qualified for. I had 3 phone calls from recruiters yesterday. One of the recruiters wanted me to relocate to Erie, PA for a DLP manager position. The other was from a big 4 firm and he told me trying to get a salary of 90k+ might be a stretch. The last recruiter actually set up a interview for later this week, but I have no interest in a job 50+ miles one way from my house.

My issue is that I'm doing alot of FISCAM, RMF and NIST security audit work. I'm trying to get into something more technical like IR, vulnerability assessment and management. How can I make that switch when I don't have any actually work experience in those areas? I can program and I've done a few CTF in the past.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I swear some of these position these recruiter are reaching out to me for, I'm super under qualified for. I had 3 phone calls from recruiters yesterday. One of the recruiters wanted me to relocate to Erie, PA for a DLP manager position. The other was from a big 4 firm and he told me trying to get a salary of 90k+ might be a stretch. The last recruiter actually set up a interview for later this week, but I have no interest in a job 50+ miles one way from my house.

My issue is that I'm doing alot of FISCAM, RMF and NIST security audit work. I'm trying to get into something more technical like IR, vulnerability assessment and management. How can I make that switch when I don't have any actually work experience in those areas? I can program and I've done a few CTF in the past.

Recruiters most of the time throw shyt on the wall and sees what sticks. I get emailed tons of gigs I'm not qualified for but I just ignore them.

If you wanna get in the VM space, start learning all of the vulnerability management tools that you can get access to (Nessus, Qualys, Backtrack/Kali, etc) and get familiar with the methodologies around vulnerability management. Also get your CEH at a minimum since those gigs will typically require it.

Then start applying to VM gigs that require very little experience. You might have to take a pay cut for 6-12 months but after that first year it should be pretty easy to start getting those roles.

Also doing VM fukking sucks. The shyt is a god damn headache breh :martin:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I read through this entire thread this past week and this man was on to something :jbhmm:

I know for 100% fact these indians look out for each other like what he's describing below

Me and my boy tried starting a recruiting firm but we really wasn't sure what the fukk we were doing and ended up saying fukk it. We couldn't find any place to give us the necessary insurance we needed.

If any of y'all are interested in doing something (and you're actually serious and willing to put some paper up) let me know.

Daps
Me and my boy tried starting a recruiting firm but we really wasn't sure what the fukk we were doing and ended up saying fukk it. We couldn't find any place to give us the necessary insurance we needed.

If any of y'all are interested in doing something (and you're actually serious and willing to put some paper up) let me know.
I am. what area are you in?

Daps
Just got paid from my remote gig :wow:

Finna be a hot summer brehs :whoo:

A nikka just hit 13k/mo :banderas:

EDIT: Just saw how much I'm paying in taxes per month :mjcry:

Which specialties are most in demand for remote gigs? I'd really like a remote gig right now!

Daps
Reppin
MD
Recruiters most of the time throw shyt on the wall and sees what sticks. I get emailed tons of gigs I'm not qualified for but I just ignore them.

If you wanna get in the VM space, start learning all of the vulnerability management tools that you can get access to (Nessus, Qualys, Backtrack/Kali, etc) and get familiar with the methodologies around vulnerability management. Also get your CEH at a minimum since those gigs will typically require it.

Then start applying to VM gigs that require very little experience. You might have to take a pay cut for 6-12 months but after that first year it should be pretty easy to start getting those roles.

Also doing VM fukking sucks. The shyt is a god damn headache breh :martin:

Thanks for the heads up. I ultimately want to get into pen testing but all the sweet gigs want you to have the OSCP. I thought getting into VM would be a stepping stone into pen testing, unless you know a better route? I've used /backtrack/kali before, but it so many tools available to use, i get overwhelm sometimes. I just downloaded Nessus on my computer last week and played around with it.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I am. what area are you in?

Atlanta. Have you done any recruiting before?

Which specialties are most in demand for remote gigs? I'd really like a remote gig right now!

I'm in security so the gigs I get are usually security gigs. Check flexjobs/indeed and look for remote gigs

Thanks for the heads up. I ultimately want to get into pen testing but all the sweet gigs want you to have the OSCP. I thought getting into VM would be a stepping stone into pen testing, unless you know a better route? I've used /backtrack/kali before, but it so many tools available to use, i get overwhelm sometimes. I just downloaded Nessus on my computer last week and played around with it.

IDK how much experience you got but the OSCP is a heavy cert and very technical. You can probably find the videos/books for the course on torrent sites. That's what I used when I was studying for it.

First thing you should do is get your Security+/CISSP, then get your CEH. Also try setting up a lab and learn how to compromise systems.

There tons of videos on YouTube showing you how to use the various tools on Kali. Start there.

Daps
Reppin
MD
IDK how much experience you got but the OSCP is a heavy cert and very technical. You can probably find the videos/books for the course on torrent sites. That's what I used when I was studying for it.

First thing you should do is get your Security+/CISSP, then get your CEH. Also try setting up a lab and learn how to compromise systems.

There tons of videos on YouTube showing you how to use the various tools on Kali. Start there.

Good looks dropping gems again.
I have a little less than a year worth of actually work experience. I do have my Security+ already.
I was torn between getting my SSCP or CEH but I think I will go with CEH since I want to eventually try the OSCP.
What kind of computer do you run your labs on?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Good looks dropping gems again.
I have a little less than a year worth of actually work experience. I do have my Security+ already.
I was torn between getting my SSCP or CEH but I think I will go with CEH since I want to eventually try the OSCP.
What kind of computer do you run your labs on?

Use virtual machines and just load up VM's of different OS's.

Also watch some videos on how to use metasploit then check out the site below. It has known vulnerabilities for various OS's and applications.

Exploits Database by Offensive Security

Setup a VM with the susceptible OS/application, and use metasploit to compromise your VM.

If you know how to successfully compromise a vulnerable system, then you should be able to understand how to defend from that vulnerability.

And I'ma start charging y'all nikkas for all this game im dropping :birdman:

Flykid567

Pro
Daps
Hey IT guys wassup. I have a few questions.
1. I'm going to school for Information technology and I just wanna know how useful that is in the IT field vs something like computer science
2. And how do you come go about getting certs? I skimmed through on here and folk was saying just google them and they'll pop up in your local area.
3. How hard would you say computer programming is in your opinion

Daps
Reppin
MD
Hey IT guys wassup. I have a few questions.
1. I'm going to school for Information technology and I just wanna know how useful that is in the IT field vs something like computer science
2. And how do you come go about getting certs? I skimmed through on here and folk was saying just google them and they'll pop up in your local area.
3. How hard would you say computer programming is in your opinion

1. drop the curriculum in here. My degree was CIS but I took the same computer classes are the Computer science majors.
2. It really depends on what you're trying to get into. Once you figure that out just do some google search for certifications in that area.
3. If you're in school, it really not that hard. You have professors, TA and your classmates to help out if you're struggling. I made it harder on myself in college cause I wanted to party instead of studying.

Daps
Reppin
MD
Use virtual machines and just load up VM's of different OS's.

Also watch some videos on how to use metasploit then check out the site below. It has known vulnerabilities for various OS's and applications.

Exploits Database by Offensive Security

Setup a VM with the susceptible OS/application, and use metasploit to compromise your VM.

If you know how to successfully compromise a vulnerable system, then you should be able to understand how to defend from that vulnerability.

And I'ma start charging y'all nikkas for all this game im dropping :birdman:

you really should. Cause I would definitely pay.