IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Rice'N Beckford

**King of ADOS**
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Where do I start if I have no experience at all in IT? I'm trying to get into an IT field that has me outside, traveling, or going into places fixing shyt. Just not tryna be in office

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I inquired about a bachelor's degree in information technology. And I was told I need 9 perquisite classes before I can start.

:francis:

I'm fukked timento give upnon school move to the country and either pray I get in IT or work at home depot and retire.

I'm also 40 I'm up a creek with no paddle.

9 classes can be knocked out in 6 months via online classes. Whats the issue?

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Henry ford community college has a one year Cisco program that tries to set you up with jobs. I plan on attending that

And shyt we should start a new thread based off of programs alone...there are programs set up that you can attend that get you set up with certs and networking

I did one for the trades recently and got my OSHA 30

And community colleges low key got a lot of resources to help you find jobs

shyt is out there...we should compile a list and attach the cities they're in

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I feel you.

Is that a cert I should aim for tho?
its a good end/later goal, but the experience you would need to get the CISSP you would be close to 6 figures anyways (probably already making 60-80k depending on your city).

I dont know how much experience you have now or if you are even in the field yet though. IMO set 3-6-9-11 yr Goals for yourself. You dont have to think. If you are trying to get into the field then make a 3 yr goal, once you hit that then set your 6 yr goal, once you hit that set a 9/10 yr goal, after that your 10/11 yr goal. With IT you cant get comfortable as every 3-4 yrs things change and something new is hot so you always have to improve your skill set.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
its a good end/later goal, but the experience you would need to get the CISSP you would be close to 6 figures anyways (probably already making 60-80k depending on your city).

I dont know how much experience you have now or if you are even in the field yet though. IMO set 3-6-9-11 yr Goals for yourself. You dont have to think. If you are trying to get into the field then make a 3 yr goal, once you hit that then set your 6 yr goal, once you hit that set a 9/10 yr goal, after that your 10/11 yr goal. With IT you cant get comfortable as every 3-4 yrs things change and something new is hot so you always have to improve your skill set.

Ok. Thx.

All Star
Daps
Somebody talk to me about moving up with an education vs. experience.

I got my A+ last month. Opened a LOT of doors and I start my first job in 2 weeks. Dilemma is, I can finish out 2 Associates by 2018... but none of the classes I have left will be easy for me. Programming, economics, a litany of algebra classes. I'm taking prerequisites now, and I went from having a 3.75 to all C's. Got me ready to drop out looking at that student loan debt. :mjcry:

So... at this point in the industry, what's the likelihood of gaining promotions? Experience and certs vs. degree?

TRFG

Not who you think
Daps
Somebody talk to me about moving up with an education vs. experience.

I got my A+ last month. Opened a LOT of doors and I start my first job in 2 weeks. Dilemma is, I can finish out 2 Associates by 2018... but none of the classes I have left will be easy for me. Programming, economics, a litany of algebra classes. I'm taking prerequisites now, and I went from having a 3.75 to all C's. Got me ready to drop out looking at that student loan debt. :mjcry:

So... at this point in the industry, what's the likelihood of gaining promotions? Experience and certs vs. degree?

You'll be overlooked for management positions. Why not finish your education?

HabitualLineSteppa

....Fuh Q.
Daps
This thread has been nothing but good to me as of late. I found a post of mine waaaay back in 2013 struggling with Java and in the last 2 1/2 years, tossed school to the bushes (less than 30 credits to go), had a kid, and ended up working a helpdesk/customer support gig with a major cable company for a year (as recommended in this very thread). I was promoted soon after to a department that pretty much does low-level account analysis and resolving order entry errors. We use remedy however only for submitting tickets, not resolving them. The work is beyond rudimentary and the pay is evidence of that...Not even challenging or satisfying.

SO I decided to take the long way here and read every page of this thread (ALSO as suggested)..You skippin', you trippin' :ufdup:

That said I have one question because its kind of a running theme every dozen pages or so:

With an A+ in tow, should one aim for Network+ THEN ccent-ccna or jump straight to ccent-ccna? I've read of the "suggested" pre-reqs/skills needed to go for ccent and basically an A+ is more than sufficient according to some however others suggest there are concepts/language in ccent worth being acclimated with prior to pursuing?

Holla at me brehs...

:jbhmm: