IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Just got hit up about a remote gig, hopefully I get it. nikka bout to crack 300k this year :whew:

NSivgHLO.png
This may sound like a silly question but how much work is really done for a remote gig?

Spin

All Star
Daps
I don't understand the question

I think what he is asking is how much in front of the computer is actually required. Say you if get paid for a 8 hour shift (in theory) would you need to be actually be "working" that whole 8 hours?

Only kind of job where I have seen people not physically have to be somewhere is select government telecommute positions. I know one guy who is out in the field doing real estate all day still getting paid from his telecommute government job.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
I don't understand the question

I think what he is asking is how much in front of the computer is actually required. Say you if get paid for a 8 hour shift (in theory) would you need to be actually be "working" that whole 8 hours?

Only kind of job where I have seen people not physically have to be somewhere is select government telecommute positions. I know one guy who is out in the field doing real estate all day still getting paid from his telecommute government job.

Basically what @Spin said

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Basically what @Spin said

My son's mother works as an Epic Analyst. She works from home twice a week. A lot of it is stuff that can be done remotely, so it's not necessarily you being in front of a PC for an 8 hour stretch(unless you have a tight deadline). Conference calls are another matter.

Working remotely is the best because it allows you scalability in your work, which increases your pay exponentially.

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Just graduated from pre apprenticeship program for the trades, because I'm trying to be an electrician or plumber

Have not found a job yet tho I've been applying

Job center in my city is doing IT apprenticeships in the fall so I'm doing testing Thursday

Just in case

Last edited:

the bossman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Norfeast D.C.
Just graduated from pre apprenticeship program for the trades, because I'm trying to be an electrician or plumber

Have not found a job yet tho I've been applying

Job center in my city is doing IT apprenticeships in the fall so I'm doing testing Tuesday

Just in case
Good shyt. Never have all your eggs in one basket. Look at all avenues

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
NOC scheduled a followup interview, :mjcry: I'm gonna crush it

Internship wants to convert me to FT, I'm done with their interview process

Going for a interview for a Jr sysadmin / dba today. No idea what to expect there :dahell:

Feels great to have options tho :mjcry:

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
I got an email back from an employer about a help desk job.

If I take it, what certs should I start to make it a career?

I want to focus on IT security

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I inquired about a bachelor's degree in information technology. And I was told I need 9 perquisite classes before I can start.

:francis:

I'm fukked timento give upnon school move to the country and either pray I get in IT or work at home depot and retire.

I'm also 40 I'm up a creek with no paddle.