IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I am too interested in NOC engineer roles I'll have a BSc in IT in a few semesters but I don't know what certs to get.

Best bet is to look at job descriptions on posting boards and see what they're asking for. Usually you'll see CCNA. You might also see JNCIA as well or the CCENT (on rare occasions). This is just my opinion, but I would never accept a NOC or a network related job that didn't list something Cisco or Juniper related (certs or otherwise).

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
yea if you want to be an architect then you will need to have paid your dues in the sys admin/network engineer/security, etc. streets for a few years. Do you REALLY want to be an architect or are you just trying to figure out a way to get 6 figures? what do you REALLY want to do is the first question. if the money is all you're really after, there's easier ways to do it for someone with your background. You might be better off at one of the management firms like accenture/deloitte. as I was leaving my previous job, the customer brought deloitte in to help better manage the project because it was a massive rollout and our company was too small to handle everything. these deloitte guys weren't super technical or hands-on but could understand just enough from us the engineers/architects to be able to communicate it to the stakeholders. this might be your lane. and i'm sure all those guys were doing 120/130k minimum

Accenture cats get paid and dont do shyt.. One dude at my job getting 200k for 6 months :beli:

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Net+ is worthless breh. I haven't seen a single company ask for it.

Seriously? After I got my A+ thats what I thought was the next hurdle. I been studying hard for this rematch. :sadbron:You think it ain't worth it?

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Seriously? After I got my A+ thats what I thought was the next hurdle. I been studying hard for this rematch. :sadbron:You think it ain't worth it?

Go for it, I got mine. Just don't expect anything from it except the knowledge gained while studying. Your phone won't start ringing until you get the CCENT & CCNA (with hopefully a year or two of experience).

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

I've never seen a job ask for in all my years in IT. If you want to learn networking, go for your CCNA

D1renegade

All Star
Daps
Reppin
OK
Just signed my offer letter for a new job.. 7.5k pay increase from my current position:wow::banderas:

Now I just have to wait for them to finish my background check so I can get my secret clearance:dame:

Next year :dahell:

You bout to do a 9 month bid or something? Why you ain't studying for it now :ufdup:

I'm going to start studying soon, but I don't plan on taking the test until next year. I only have six months of help desk experience so even if I get the CCNA soon, I doubt I'll be able to snag a networking job until I get more time under my belt.

Last edited:

No Homo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Jigga with the Roley and the Vest
Just signed my offer letter for a new job.. 7.5k pay increase from my current position:wow::banderas:

Now I just have to wait for them to finish my background check so I can get my secret clearance:dame:

I'm going to start studying soon, but I don't plan on taking the test until next year. I only have six months of help desk experience so even if I get the CCNA soon, I doubt I'll be able to snag a networking job until I get more time under my belt.

You should still get the cert if thats what you want to get into....you just never know when an opportunity might pop up for you..

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I'm trying to not pay too much attention to them just yet. But let's just say that Ruby is on my to-do list after i get decent with PowerShell and Python :dame:

I`m not taking any summer classes this yr so I`m looking to dive into Python, maybe take the ITIL Cert since I have a class now based around ITIL, and then maybe the AWS Solution Architect or Salesforce cert. I was thinking about the SQL MCSA since I have just taken 2 SQL classes back to back but I hear nobody cares about the cert.

In the Fall I`m going to be taking a Business Intel class and was thinking about taking a Data Center Management Class and then studying for the MCSA Sever 2012 and maybe eventually getting the MCSE Private Cloud.

I`m a BA so Certs are not needed per say, but I do want to set myself apart and as you get higher in your career you have to be able to defend your decisions against the usual business stakeholders and more senior technical stakeholders.

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anyone got any good meterial for subnetting? I've read the subnetting chapter of my net+ book over and over and I still cant quite grasp it.

Illmagic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've never seen a job ask for in all my years in IT. If you want to learn networking, go for your CCNA

Im assuming the CCNA is alot harder. So im thinking Ill proceeed with studying the net+ meterial to make sure I got the basics down. Then make the decision on if ill still take the net+ or try for CCNA. If I tried for CCNA now im thinking I might be a bit lost. :yeshrug: