IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

FatherSimp

Enough white hoes to last me thru ATL
Daps
The key is if you want it, you'll do what it takes to go get it. Invest in quality resources and stop seeking cheap material. Seek high quality material. If you see a course that may be $100, but it contains all the information you need, buy it. This is called investment. I spent thousands of dollars on books and courses. I could have cheaped out, but then again I would still be back at my old job making a pitiful wage.

Also, if you're easily distracted, create an environment away from all your distractions and that is conducive towards you focusing. It's also important to be around a group of like minded people if you can, because it can really help enhance your skills.

Dapped and repped

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
They were Epic consultants or something else?

No, they didn't setup the EMR system, the vendor did that. We made sure all their stuff met the requirements of the software. Making sure they updated the correct version of Windows, making sure their wireless network was secure, making sure they had the correct softest versions of Java, Adobe, .Net, etc.

We also did basic troubleshooting while on site (printer issues, file sharing, etc).

Typcial level 1 help desk stuff.

A lot of these small companies don't have an IT staff, so we do their IT work for them.

Hahahaha

All Star
Daps
Don't mean to ask but I need Internet on this VMware network.

I'm running server 12 and 2 clients win 10 pro hooked up with a domain.

It's "host only"

I need Internet on this network, it's not connected to my real network. Pm me if you can assist.

I will use TeamViewer and you can see what I'm speaking off.

I would typically do bridge mode. If you need it segragated you can add a separate virtual NIC - One for internal network and one for external.

Scott Larock

Its hard leaving thecoli but I gotta find a way...
Daps
Reppin
Hell
I would typically do bridge mode. If you need it segragated you can add a separate virtual NIC - One for internal network and one for external.

The breh b got me later thanks.

We'll work it out.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If you're doing programming, you should be putting up portfolio pieces all the time, and one of the things that made me stand out despite no professional experience was having a blog up. If you're doing networking or whatever, put up videos of yourself on youtube showing you setting up a network or doing various tasks that you'll have to do on an every day basis. Make mini-tutorials. In other words, so something that will distinguish you from others. You should be developing a 'presence'. The problem a lot of guys have is that they are invisible. All they have is text on their resume. If a recruiter can see some awesome sites you made, or some super clear tutorials of you demonstrating exactly what needs to be done, you really stand out.

Also, your goal starting off should be to get as many rejections as possible. In other words, send your resume to as many companies as possible. Why do I say get as many rejections as possible? Make it a game because you'll have to hit up a ton of companies to get a few calls back. You don't want to take rejections personal and get discouraged, so actively make it a game to get as many 'rejections' as possible, and eventually, one of these companies will take a chance on you. When I say go for as many rejections as possible, I'm not talking about submitting a shoddy resume or anything like that. It's more like sending your resume to as many companies as possible, even if you don't think you're qualified and not allowing yourself to get discouraged when you don't get as many bites as you think you should. Even if you don't think you're qualified right now, seek some rejections now. Send your resume to positions you feel you are underqualified for just for fun. If anything, you might get an interview and the interview will tell you exactly what you need to study up on.

shakobe

All Star
Daps
I'm about to graduate in May with a degree in business information systems my professor said its useless to study for the a+ certification and study for the Mcsa 2012 instead any books/study guides y'all recommend?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I'm about to graduate in May with a degree in business information systems my professor said its useless to study for the a+ certification and study for the Mcsa 2012 instead any books/study guides y'all recommend?

If you have no experience, an A+ is pretty much a requirement. Pretty much every entry level help desk position requires it. Just go online and search for entry level gigs and see what they're asking for.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
Had an amazing career moment this week as part of my internship :whew:

Sat down with our Sr. Network Engineer and breh was cool as fukk. Right off the bat he hooked me up with all his CCNA and CCNP study material and notes

Then we chatted about Networking for hours, troubleshooted a bunch of shyt with a Cisco employee, gave me career advice, and then breh gave me tons of pointers on how to design a corporate network from top to bottom. Solidified my desire to become a Network Engineer brehs :wow: I really wanna do this shyt.

As soon as i get a year or two of help desk under my belt i'm gunning as hard as i can for a NOC position.

Last edited:

LinusCaldwell

From The Eastside with Love
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
I would like to create an app for my podcast and website can any of y'all direct me to where I can learn how to make one online? I'll do it myself just need to know where to learn that's dependable

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Anyone have any firewall certs such Palto Alto or Check Point? Are they even worth it? I see this old cac lady network security engineer at my job and all she does is configure firewalls ALL day :dead: Im jealous :mjcry:

If you're doing networking or whatever, put up videos of yourself on youtube showing you setting up a network or doing various tasks that you'll have to do on an every day basis. Make mini-tutorials. In other words, so something that will distinguish you from others.

This is what I been planning out recently. Basically I'll make a blog and anything I been studying network wise I'll have it labbed out and explained on the site. I gotta lay that foundation now so i can live that 6 figure life in a couple years :wow:

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Anyone have any firewall certs such Palto Alto or Check Point? Are they even worth it? I see this old cac lady network security engineer at my job and all she does is configure firewalls ALL day :dead: Im jealous :mjcry:

This is what I been planning out recently. Basically I'll make a blog and anything I been studying network wise I'll have it labbed out and explained on the site. I gotta lay that foundation now so i can live that 6 figure life in a couple years :wow:

I've worked with Checkpoint R70 and R75 before at previous jobs. Checkpoint engineer's can make bank (I just got an email about a Network Security Engineer gig paying $80/hr configuring firewalls).

If you want to learn Checkpoint, find a torrent of the ISO and set it up in a VM, that was how I started learning.

You can find PDF's of their documentation on Checkpoint sites.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Had an amazing career moment this week as part of my internship :whew:

Sat down with our Sr. Network Engineer and breh was cool as fukk. Right off the bat he hooked me up with all his CCNA and CCNP study material and notes

Then we chatted about Networking for hours, troubleshooted a bunch of shyt with a Cisco employee, gave me career advice, and then breh gave me tons of pointers on how to design a corporate network from top to bottom. Solidified my desire to become a Network Engineer brehs :wow: I really wanna do this shyt.

As soon as i get a year or two of help desk under my belt i'm gunning as hard as i can for a NOC position.

If you're sure Networking is where you want to be, start studying for your CCNA now, and don't stop until you have your CCNP.

Also look on eBay (or ask the network engineer) if they have any old Cisco gear they can give you or loan you so you can practice.

If you can't get physical hardware, install gns3 and start practicing basic configuration and routing. At the very least you should no how to configure RIP/OSPF/EIGRP/BDP, setup ACL's, setup secure access (SSH/TACACS+), and know how to properly secure those devices.

And if you ever decide to make the transition from infrastructure to security, all you'd need is a CISSP and you're now qualified for both Infrastructure roles ands Security roles.

Splash

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

I want to do the exact same thing. I need to get ahead somehow.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
If you're sure Networking is where you want to be, start studying for your CCNA now, and don't stop until you have your CCNP.

Also look on eBay (or ask the network engineer) if they have any old Cisco gear they can give you or loan you so you can practice.

If you can't get physical hardware, install gns3 and start practicing basic configuration and routing. At the very least you should no how to configure RIP/OSPF/EIGRP/BDP, setup ACL's, setup secure access (SSH/TACACS+), and know how to properly secure those devices.

And if you ever decide to make the transition from infrastructure to security, all you'd need is a CISSP and you're now qualified for both Infrastructure roles ands Security roles.
Yep. I threw my Security+ studies in the bushes and started hitting the books for CCNA. I'm about to transition from my internship to a Tier 1 System Support Analyst role (some Tier 2) so nows the time to keep pushing and get my CCENT before summer. Luckily theres a lot of overlap with Net+ so I haven't been troubled with the material.

I was gonna ask y'all about home labbing, but like everyone says part of the game is going out there and doing research for yourself.... I ordered a Cisco 851W router off Amazon to learn IOS, and I got GNS3 a couple months back, so I've been doing virtual sims. I'll see what i can scrounge off the engineer. I also hit up my local PC recycler and they're gonna let me look through their shyt :jbhmm:

I wanna be an architect :mjcry: thanks for all the advice and real talk btw.