IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
One of the keys is to establish an 'online presence'. For example, pick up python, write some general purpose scripts for your job and then write about the process you went through to make the script on your blog and put that blog link on your resume. Cleanse the scripts afterward so they aren't job specific in your free time and upload them to github and link them from your blog and link to your github on your resume. That way you're both learning a programming language and you're putting out a body of work recruiters and employers can look at.

Yea, as a BA I`m trying to see how I can get my hands dirty on things that I may not get a chance to do every day at work. I really want to get Agile experience because I understand it in theory but never been through a development cycle as my last job utilized Waterfall. Even doing volunteer projects though, it seems that they only look for developers.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Yea, as a BA I`m trying to see how I can get my hands dirty on things that I may not get a chance to do every day at work. I really want to get Agile experience because I understand it in theory but never been through a development cycle as my last job utilized Waterfall. Even doing volunteer projects though, it seems that they only look for developers.

I'd recommend you start with Python and look up automation and start automating some of your current tasks. That'll make you more productive at ypour current job and it'll give you a body of work recruiters can look at. Once you start getting a solid idea of where you want to go with your programming knowledge, then you can pick up those specific languages/technologies.

Don't worry about mastering the 'right language' or the 'right framework'. The key is to start making stuff and become competent. Once you are competent in your language, you can pick up a new framework in a couple of weeks, and these frameworks change quite regularly, so it's impossible to know ahead of time which is the 'best framework' to use.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Here's one tip that can probably be universally agreed upon. Don't shy away from paying money for the best resources. Some times I see guys sitting around, trying to get only free resources. If you don't have the money for it, sure, take that path, but if you do have the money, buy the best books and actually get the best resources at a reasonable price. It makes zero sense to me how guys can spend thousands on clothes and luxuries, but don't want to spend any money on the resources that will multiply their income.

Udemy often has sales on courses that are normally $200 and more for $10 to $20. Pluralsight and Lynda.com exist and have several courses for $30 or so a month. Why not pay that little fee for something that could double or triple your income in a couple of years?

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
I feel u bruh no excuses here but was u doing that with 2 small children and one that had major surgery??? I just want advice for the right path so i can tackle it most efficiently

Again with the excuses breh. When I was on my hustle I would average 3 hours of sleep a night. I was up by 6AM. Work from 730-4. Leave work and have class from 6-9PM. Stay in the library until 12 to do my class work/assignments/study, get home by 12:30, and stay up until 2-3 in the morning studying for my certs. I had 0 free time and so I had to sacrifice sleep to find time to study. I gained about 60 pounds in 2 years because the only time I had to eat was in my car going to work/school/home and the majority of the time it was fast food because I didn't even have time to cook.

Here's some advice, if you want to be successful in IT you're gonna have to be committed. You're going to have to dedicate countless hours to studying and learning so you can advance your career. If your mindset is I don't have time to study because of X you'll never be successful.

DAlbert

All Star
Daps
Thank you everyone for the knowledge. I had an OG approach me at my apt lab telling me about programming bootcamps etc etc. Now I can't afford such bootcamps and honestly I see web developing apart of the looming tech bubble, but it made me think. I've always been good computers, rebuilding mine fixing others and so on. As a current young entrepreneur I'm in need of a side hustle to stay afloat til my main attention pops off. Research has led me here although I've been through this thread years ago. shyt was always right infront of my eyes and I just now ordered my A+ book (which honestly glancing over this shyt this is like second hand knowledge to me). I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome. I don't expect shyt to be easy... but I damn sure don't want to struggle forever. Thank you all once again.

se1f_made

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Use bootcamp

And I studied for about 6 months for my CISSP. I cut the cable off, stopped hanging with friends as much, and just bust my ass. I went from making 75k to 125k over night :whew:

This is what I'm planning on doing. I've been at a sys admin type support role for the last 6 months making in the 75k-85k (depending on bonuses) and its been a great opportunity but as it relates to dollars there's not much room to climb. @bdizzle has been pushing the CISSP and now I'm seeing the light. How much networking/IOS is involved (of course you'll need to know how to configure firewalls etc). Should I study for the CCNA first or just dive right into the CISSP?

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
Brehs i'm low key thinking of making this my last semester of college and just work on my certs and skills using self study/work experience to advance my career :lupe:

The network security associates program im in is sick...and i'm learning alot but shyt i'm paying for shyt i can learn on my own for a degree that doesnt do much early on for your career in a field where it's simple experience above all.

But shyt what do yall think, i got 3 n a half more semesters:huhldup:.

Last edited:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Brehs i'm low key thinking of making this my last semester of school and just work on my certs and skills using self study/work experience to advance my career :lupe:

The network security associates program im in is sick...and i'm learning alot but shyt i'm paying for shyt i can learn on my own for a degree that doesnt do much early on for your career in a field where it's simple experience above all.

But shyt what do yall think, i got 3 n a half more semesters:huhldup:

a degree is a gate keeper honestly, some companies nowadays only hire people with degrees, its not 1995-2001 where the market lacked a talent pool and people just needed a diploma and a few certs. A Degree can potentially help you bypass yrs of experience also. That said when it comes to degrees I say go the cheapest way you can to get an accredited degree. If you are paying completely out of pocket I assume you are at a private school or your grades must not be all that because for most state schools if you got decent grades the combo of Pell Grant and Scholarships will make school close to free.

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
a degree is a gate keeper honestly, some companies nowadays only hire people with degrees, its not 1995-2001 where the market lacked a talent pool and people just needed a diploma and a few certs. A Degree can potentially help you bypass yrs of experience also. That said when it comes to degrees I say go the cheapest way you can to get an accredited degree. If you are paying completely out of pocket I assume you are at a private school or your grades must not be all that because for most state schools if you got decent grades the combo of Pell Grant and Scholarships will make school close to free.

I dont get pell grants n have no scholarships, i think it's because before i got into IT my grades were terrible :mjlol:. Since i started the IT program, this has been the best ive ever been in school:lolbron:. So it's all loans (i thought it was grants before i investigated my self :mjcry:)

I dunno, it's def not that i hate learning itself or anything of course. Im just really tired of the dynamic of "going to school", been in school since i was 6 now i'm 22 and it's just dragging:francis:

I honestly feel like i can just drop out, use dreamspark n my college email to rack up on vms, database shyt and other software, use my packet tracer and gns3, rack up on books, set up my own virtual network for testing and practice, hit up youtube n other tech sites, and save hella money in the long run. Just put hella work my damn self

But yeah that gatekeeper remark you made does hold hella weight. Might have to toughen it out

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I dont get pell grants n have no scholarships, i think it's because before i got into IT my grades were terrible :mjlol:. Since i started the IT program, this has been the best ive ever been in school:lolbron:. So it's all loans (i thought it was grants before i investigated my self :mjcry:)

I dunno, it's def not that i hate learning itself or anything of course. Im just really tired of the dynamic of "going to school", been in school since i was 6 now i'm 22 and it's just dragging:francis:

I mean get it how you live, all depends on your city at the end of the day. For Infrastructure related roles you can maybe do things without a degree but nowadays they want experience plus certs and you aint getting experience without a degree unless you do some super low level type gigs. I`m on the business side so not having a degree isn't an option.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
This is what I'm planning on doing. I've been at a sys admin type support role for the last 6 months making in the 75k-85k (depending on bonuses) and its been a great opportunity but as it relates to dollars there's not much room to climb. @bdizzle has been pushing the CISSP and now I'm seeing the light. How much networking/IOS is involved (of course you'll need to know how to configure firewalls etc). Should I study for the CCNA first or just dive right into the CISSP?

The CISSP isn't very technical at all. The most technical section is on encryption, but it's honestly nothing but a bunch of memorization. No labs and nothing to configure. Just 250 multiple choice questions (at least that's how it was when I took it)