IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
That sounds like me I'm coming with every excuse not to study :francis:

Last year I made 200k. I was pulling in 10k/mo AFTER taxes and I only have a HS diploma. This year I'll probably hit 250k.

Keep coming up with excuses breh, meanwhile I'll be at Follies making it rain on these big booty Atlanta strippers
full

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah, it's definitely interesting. This not the type of shyt you can pass on a 1 month cram session tho.

I need to get a windows laptop so i can start fukking with this powershell too. My Macbook too :flabbynsick: at this point for a virtual machine :mjcry:
I just upgraded to a 16gb i7 Retina So I could run Bootcamp and VMware flawlessly.
:blessed:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I`m still deciding on which Cert to go after First. I`m planning on doing some Python tutorials soon, and I`m more than likely not going to do summer school so that would be a good time to knock out a cert.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Stop making excuses breh. I passed my A+, CCNA, and MCP while working 40 hours a week and having a full load in college, and was on the Deans list and drove 2 hours on the weekend to hang with my gf while she was at college.

If you come into this with a shytty work ethic you'll never make it.

I feel u bruh no excuses here but was u doing that with 2 small children and one that had major surgery??? I just want advice for the right path so i can tackle it most efficiently

RubioTheCruel

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah, it's definitely interesting. This not the type of shyt you can pass on a 1 month cram session tho.

I need to get a windows laptop so i can start fukking with this powershell too. My Macbook too :flabbynsick: at this point for a virtual machine :mjcry:

If you haven't used it, you can get a free year of AWS instances, spin up a windows VM. You can do the same with Azure, but I think they only give you a free month

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
got my first programming job
I'll write something about the interview process in the programming thread

Congrats :salute:
Yeah even though I'm not a programmer I'm curious to hear what the interview process is like on that side...Did they have you code something on the spot? What kinda questions did they ask? etc.

I have friends who are interested in coding and they ask me about it but im like breh thats like comparing apples and oranges :russ:

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Congrats :salute:
Yeah even though I'm not a programmer I'm curious to hear what the interview process is like on that side...Did they have you code something on the spot? What kinda questions did they ask? etc.

I have friends who are interested in coding and they ask me about it but im like breh thats like comparing apples and oranges :russ:

Well first and foremost, it pays off to have a fairly large portfolio. You should have a few sites deployed and an active github. If they like what they see, they will hit you up on email, but if they really like you, they will call you. You'll likely get questions like if you were working with a customer, what is your process of dealing with them. Then they'll ask you questions about the particular language you are working with and the technologies. If they like your answer, then they will likely set up an interview over skype. Then if they like you there, you'll go in for a whiteboard type interview where you'll have to write some code on a board and probably solve some puzzles. What they really liked at the interview I went to yesterday was my blog. I think that was what set me apart.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
One of the keys if you want to stand out, and I'm sure Data Hawk will tell you, is to pick up a testing framework. Selenium is a great option to learn depending on what you're doing.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
One of the keys if you want to stand out, and I'm sure Data Hawk will tell you, is to pick up a testing framework. Selenium is a great option to learn depending on what you're doing.

I think the issue for many is there is so much out there thats its overwhelming trying to figure out what to learn. Different companies ask for knowledge of different technology stacks so many people dont know what to learn not knowing when you learn one thing it makes it easier to at least have functional knowledge of other things BUT you still need to have experience applying the things you did learn.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
I think the issue for many is there is so much out there thats its overwhelming trying to figure out what to learn. Different companies ask for knowledge of different technology stacks so many people dont know what to learn not knowing when you learn one thing it makes it easier to at least have functional knowledge of other things BUT you still need to have experience applying the things you did learn.

Yeah, that's what I found difficult at first. There are so many frameworks out there that it is impossible to 'know everything'. The key is to find a general area in which you want to work, pick up a popular framework in it and just get to cranking out applications. If they ask you whether or not you know their particular stack, you can answer something along the lines of, I'm a very quick learner, and I might not know all aspects of your stack, but I can pick it up quickly. The key is not to be a 'framework' or 'features' master, aka memorizing every single method of frameworks, but the key is to get working things out there and demonstrate that you are willing to learn and can do so quickly.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Yeah, that's what I found difficult at first. There are so many frameworks out there that it is impossible to 'know everything'. The key is to find a general area in which you want to work, pick up a popular framework in it and just get to cranking out applications. If they ask you whether or not you know their particular stack, you can answer something along the lines of, I'm a very quick learner, and I might not know all aspects of your stack, but I can pick it up quickly. The key is not to be a 'framework' or 'features' master, aka memorizing every single method of frameworks, but the key is to get working things out there and demonstrate that you are willing to learn and can do so quickly.

gotcha, I guess its easier to say it when you have a portfolio of other technical things you have done.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
gotcha, I guess its easier to say it when you have a portfolio of other technical things you have done.

One of the keys is to establish an 'online presence'. For example, pick up python, write some general purpose scripts for your current job, say for example automating some tasks, and then write about the process you went through to make the script on your blog and put that blog link on your resume. Cleanse the scripts afterward so they aren't job specific in your free time and upload them to github and link them from your blog and link to your github on your resume. That way you're both learning a programming language, being productive at work, and you're putting out a body of work recruiters and employers can look at.

Last edited: