IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Naw, go into networking. It's rare as hell to find a black women in networking. I'm tired of seeing these ugly cacs :scust:

Unless you're busted then we don't want you :camby:

Co-sign. I've seen a few in college, but they were always ghost after the drop date. Professionally I've only seen a couple on the development and engineering side (never in networking though).

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Co-sign. I've seen a few in college, but they were always ghost after the drop date. Professionally I've only seen a couple on the development and engineering side (never in networking though).

What is it about networking that got 'em bucking? :patrice:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Brehs, how common is it in this industry to be sitting on your ass with nothing to do most of the day?

I've been working at my current job for about 3 months, and outside of a few crunch time deadlines, I'm really just chilling most of the day. I imagine things will change once I become more senior but even some of the more experienced people on my team don't usually seem terribly busy.
I wish I could say the same. Working as a network engineer at this NOC has been hellish recently to say the least

krexzen

All Star
Daps
What is it about networking that got 'em bucking? :patrice:

No idea. You don't really see a lot of women in networking period though. I only know of a handful of women network engineers and they are all white. The highest concentrations are definitely in project management. The next highest areas are probably web development and Helpdesk/Systems.

You do have the occasional cabling and racking of equipment (UPS devices, routers, switches) but I don't think that is it. I would say the material subject matter just doesn't appeal to them :yeshrug:.

Daps
No idea. You don't really see a lot of women in networking period though. I only know of a handful of women network engineers and they are all white. The highest concentrations are definitely in project management. The next highest areas are probably web development and Helpdesk/Systems.

You do have the occasional cabling and racking of equipment (UPS devices, routers, switches) but I don't think that is it. I would say the material subject matter just doesn't appeal to them :yeshrug:.

I think its more that because they dont see others doing it, they don't head in that direction. Teachers and guidance counselors dont recommend those majors or courses or careers either because its "not the norm." Women end up getting pushed away from computers and mathematics essentially and into other fields and over time it becomes harder to break into the field. And the ones that do enter the field have it harder then everyone because people think they don't know their shyt or they just dont fit in being the only women in the group. No different from the reason you don't see minorities in certain fields or roles. :martin:

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
One more thing of those trying To do CCNA..id advise getting an 1841 or 2821 and using it as your main gateway..that way when the shyt fukks up or doesn't work the way you expected, you will be forced to fix it..

krexzen

All Star
Daps
Brehs, how common is it in this industry to be sitting on your ass with nothing to do most of the day?

I've been working at my current job for about 3 months, and outside of a few crunch time deadlines, I'm really just chilling most of the day. I imagine things will change once I become more senior but even some of the more experienced people on my team don't usually seem terribly busy.

Common. It depends on the environment and your role/position. If you work for an ISP then you will probably be busier than someone doing internal work for an Enterprise (unless it's a big enterprise). I'd imagine certain government jobs would be pretty boring as well. Especially for local Gov.
I think its more that because they dont see others doing it, they don't head in that direction. Teachers and guidance counselors dont recommend those majors or courses or careers either because its "not the norm." Women end up getting pushed away from computers and mathematics essentially and into other fields and over time it becomes harder to break into the field. And the ones that do enter the field have it harder then everyone because people think they don't know their shyt or they just dont fit in being the only women in the group. No different from the reason you don't see minorities in certain fields or roles. :martin:

You probably right. It just weird because I see lots of us in Network engineering. I see more brehs in network engineering than any other position group. Just not our ladies.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan

In the last 6 weeks at my job, I've probably put in 3 hours of actual work and I'm not exaggerating. Most of my career has been sitting on my ass not doing anything. IMO the higher you get the less work you have to do.

But on the flip side I've had roles where I was on 16 projects at once and had meetings 5 hours a day every day.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Common. It depends on the environment and your role/position. If you work for an ISP then you will probably be busier than someone doing internal work for an Enterprise (unless it's a big enterprise). I'd imagine certain government jobs would be pretty boring as well. Especially for local Gov.

You probably right. It just weird because I see lots of us in Network engineering. I see more brehs in network engineering than any other position group. Just not our ladies.

I'm Atlanta so I know my perspective is skewed but I see a lot of us doing DB work too. I rarely see black developers though.

Last edited:

Lord_nikon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Got hired last week and passed the the background,,,, so now they are saying the 3rd party investigator couldn't confirm two temp jobs from 9 years ago and my high school,,so they are requesting 6 or 7 years of W-2 and I'm sure they will ask for a high school transcript as well..

fukk YOU **************** I refuse to hand over that private information,,, You confirmed my last past job that is related to this one and you confirmed my college,,, I'm fukking done,,I haven't started work yet, so you can fire me now ole nosy irritating ass fukks.
then it's part time too, fukk you

Daps
Got hired last week and passed the the background,,,, so now they are saying the 3rd party investigator couldn't confirm two temp jobs from 9 years ago and my high school,,so they are requesting 6 or 7 years of W-2 and I'm sure they will ask for a high school transcript as well..

fukk YOU **************** I refuse to hand over that private information,,, You confirmed my last past job that is related to this one and you confirmed my college,,, I'm fukking done,,I haven't started work yet, so you can fire me now ole nosy irritating ass fukks.
then it's part time too, fukk you
did you already accept the role? that does seem like some bullshyt. But just hit them with them w-2s and keep lookin for something else.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
Some of these requirements for job posts are insane. I'm guessing a lot of them are by recruiters who don't program. They want two years of experience in C#, Javascript, HTML, CSS, SQL, and Angular for for $65,000? Yeah right. Full stack developer with two years of experience for only $65,000?