IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Not early in career because you probably won't be at that tax bracket were you're getting killed on taxes.

I would say if you're in the $50+ territory you should want to look at corp-to-corp because you're going to get killed on taxes. Also, you need to be an individual that's good with keeping up with receipts etc.

I would definitely say you would be better off for learning the tools and how they integrate within the BI architecture. I haven't meet anyone with a BI cert.
Good info dude.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Gotcha, this was actually something I was thinking of in the past but didnt really know how to write it out to set the goals. But starting my own Consulting company in the future and being an "architect/consultant" for hire. A lot of companies in the A pretty much hire contract only now so might as well cut out the Staffing Agency/Consulting agency middle man.

A lot of times you will still be working with them, they will just pay your company instead of paying you directly. Also, there are certain insurances you will need as well to work corp-to-corp. I'll write about that in a little.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
A lot of times you will still be working with them, they will just pay your company instead of paying you directly. Also, there are certain insurances you will need as well to work corp-to-corp. I'll write about that in a little.

Gotcha so prertty much recruiters/staffing agencies will send you gigs but instead of opting for W2 you do corp to corp? I notice recruiters send me emails that say W2 or 1099, and some say W2 only, so i assume the W2 only gigs you cant do the corp to corp thing.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
:patrice: is the ass fat

Come on breh.......lets keep this thread technology related.......stop derailing.

@SweetDelightxx Hi, how are you? I'm looking to get my A+ also. But having a hard time understanding the concepts. I think me and you should start a study group. Just us though. None of these dudes should be allowed to join,they'll get in the way of our goals..........:smugdraper:

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
Some of these requirements for job posts are insane. I'm guessing a lot of them are by recruiters who don't program. They want two years of experience in C#, Javascript, HTML, CSS, SQL, and Angular for for $65,000? Yeah right. Full stack developer with two years of experience for only $65,000?

Sounds about right for 65K if the person only has 2 years experience. The highest paid programmers are going to be working at Tech oriented companies( Google, facebook , IBM , Nvidia etc ).

I would estimate 70 - 90% of the time , you are going to be working on programs that are well into the development life cycle. Rarely do you start on projects from the ground up, unless you become a consultant. Looking at that job listing requirements, that all goes back to learning a development language first and then scripting/web technologies. A C# developer can pick up the other technologies ( javascript , HTML , CSS, SQL ) alot quicker than a pure Javascript/HTML developer picking up C#.

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis
For your first job, they're gonna play you on the salary because they can always fall back on the "you not having much experience" line. That's why I tell cats, consulting >>> being perm. You take on 6-12 month contracts and its an easy way to get experience/exposure and increase your pay by 5-20k a job. But most people aren't hustlers, they're rather have the false sense of "safety" being a "perm" employee and wait 2-4 years just to get a 2-5k raise, lmao.

Right, for your first "Job", you really have to take whatever you can get. I would seriously say be happy with 40K , unless

1.) You are coming out of a top rank college for Computer Science
2.) You've made a name for yourself in the Open source world.

The programming field is a little different than the other fields, you are likely to go up against somebody with a degree and some type of experience since with programming there really is no Help Desk -> Desktop --> Network Admin route you can take. With those fields ,you can start off at the help desk and literally know nothing about computers and gradually gain knowledge and move up. That won't fly for programming.

Last edited:

GoGetMyDamnBelt_

All Star
Daps
Reppin
MIA
Come on breh.......lets keep this thread technology related.......stop derailing.

@SweetDelightxx Hi, how are you? I'm looking to get my A+ also. But having a hard time understanding the concepts. I think me and you should start a study group. Just us though. None of these dudes should be allowed to join,they'll get in the way of our goals..........:smugdraper:

Bold. :stopitslime:

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Sounds about right for 65K if the person only has 2 years experience. The highest paid programmers are going to be working at Tech oriented companies( Google, facebook , IBM , Nvidia etc ).

I would estimate 70 - 90% of the time , you are going to be working on programs that are well into the development life cycle. Rarely do you start on projects from the ground up, unless you become a consultant. Looking at that job listing requirements, that all goes back to learning a development language first and then scripting/web technologies. A C# developer can pick up the other technologies ( javascript , HTML , CSS, SQL ) alot quicker than a pure Javascript/HTML developer picking up C#.
:mjcry:

Do you guys recommend me learning Ruby or Python after I finish this Freecode camp stuff? I`m trying to get into the cloud world and I see many positions ask for Ruby, Python, Powershell for I guess creating scripts to automate task.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

I'm going to have to disagree with that notion of a C# developer being able to pick up javascript faster than vice versa. A solid developer would be able to pick up both with relatively similar speed. C# is a bigger language, but Javascript is very unconventional and the current JS environment is very unstable. The basics of Javascript are simple, but there are a ton of JS quirks that take a time to learn and when you get into all of the functional and asynchronous programming, things start ramping up in complexity. Couple that with not knowing ahead of times which features you can use do to different browsers not supporting this or that feature can make things headache inducing.

What I've seen is that a lot of Java developers and the such actually hate working with JS and on the front-end because it is so drastically different from what they are accustomed to and having to deal with several browsers with that may or may not support this or that language feature and then having to deal with several different screen sizes.

From my personal experience, I've found the basics of Javascript a lot easier to learn since you don't have to deal with types and all of these other keywords, but after that, I find C# and Java easier to understand past the basics since things are more clearly defined and knowing ahead of time what types are accepted by a function makes it a lot easier to understand what code is doing.
Thank God for things like ES6 and Typescript and transpilers, because they eliminate a ton of annoyance that you have to deal with in the JS language.

CSS is even something that I find difficult to work with. Knowing the rules of CSS and being able to slam together a few rules is easy, but making a full-fledged site with it is fairly headache inducing if you aren't using a framework like bootstrap, especially if you're going for a responsive website.

I guess it depends on what area you live in, but 65k seems low for a full-stack developer with 2 years of experience. For example, here are a couple of listings I've come across:
Python Developers needed - Austin - $80-120k job - Roc Search - Austin, TX

Ruby on Rails Developer - Downtown Austin - $75-85k job - Roc Search - Austin, TX

Data-Hawk

I have no strings on me.
Daps
Reppin
Oasis

Do you guys recommend me learning Ruby or Python after I finish this Freecode camp stuff? I`m trying to get into the cloud world and I see many positions ask for Ruby, Python, Powershell for I guess creating scripts to automate task.

I've only look over Ruby a couple of times, I always hear more things about Python( Since there's a Python Library for just about everything ). A few months ago when I started getting into Robotic programming, I was looking at the Raspberry Pi ( Which primarily uses Python ) and came across a couple of cool projects like:

Build Raspberry Pi robots: Best Tutorial for beginners

Also I've heard Python is great for analytics.

51ZQ1NxOV7L._SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I'm going to have to disagree with that notion of a C# developer being able to pick up javascript faster than vice versa. A solid developer would be able to pick up both with relatively similar speed. C# is a bigger language, but Javascript is very unconventional and the current JS environment is very unstable. The basics of Javascript are simple, but there are a ton of JS quirks that take a time to learn and when you get into all of the functional and asynchronous programming, things start ramping up in complexity. Couple that with not knowing ahead of times which features you can use do to different browsers not supporting this or that feature can make things headache inducing.

What I've seen is that a lot of Java developers and the such actually hate working with JS and on the front-end because it is so drastically different from what they are accustomed to and having to deal with several browsers with that may or may not support this or that language feature and then having to deal with several different screen sizes.

From my personal experience, I've found the basics of Javascript a lot easier to learn since you don't have to deal with types and all of these other keywords, but after that, I find C# and Java easier to understand past the basics since things are more clearly defined and knowing ahead of time what types are accepted by a function makes it a lot easier to understand what code is doing.
Thank God for things like ES6 and Typescript and transpilers, because they eliminate a ton of annoyance that you have to deal with in the JS language.

CSS is even something that I find difficult to work with. Knowing the rules of CSS and being able to slam together a few rules is easy, but making a full-fledged site with it is fairly headache inducing if you aren't using a framework like bootstrap, especially if you're going for a responsive website.

I guess it depends on what area you live in, but 65k seems low for a full-stack developer with 2 years of experience. For example, here are a couple of listings I've come across:
Python Developers needed - Austin - $80-120k job - Roc Search - Austin, TX

Ruby on Rails Developer - Downtown Austin - $75-85k job - Roc Search - Austin, TX

I have no idea how people are learning development these days, but OO was a pretty solid learning environment. Not to mention having Visual Studio as my IDE helped break things down all the way to the machine code level (i guess its pretty unnecessary for development, but I found it good to know). Javascript is pretty cool, and I really like how open it is for people to create these structure libraries, but I prefer using C# or Java if there is a choice, especially if I'm working with other users, much easier to maintain and manage.

Which environment did you start out with?

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps

If you're going to do web development, particularly serverside, I recommend Ruby and Ruby on Rails. I believe Ruby is better for text processing as well. If you're going more for the automation side or you're looking for a data analyst role, Python is where you need to focus your talents. Experiment with the two languages and see which of the two strike your fancy more.