IT Certifications and Careers (Official Discussion Thread)

krexzen

All Star
Daps
I'm thinking about taking the security+. This tier 1 job that I applied for turned me away because of my lack of experience, but they told me to reapply after I got 6 months of experience at my current help desk job. This job provides tech support for one of the biggest air force bases in the nation and the interviewer name dropped sec+ as a good future cert, so attaining it would solidify me as a top candidate. That cert price tho..:mjcry:

I think I'll get the COMPTIA bundle that comes with the retake voucher and online training. If I start studying now I'll be ready to take the test by April, and that would mark 6 months at my current job.

If everything falls into place...:wow:

Breh, you better not waste money on a class for the Security +. Buy Darril Gibson's book ($10 for kindle). Follow his advice in the introduction and pay the $280 for the test.

Julius Skrrvin

I be winkin' through the scope
Daps
All Udemy courses are 10$ till 11:59 PST. Picked up some resources for learning about Python and got a CCNA one (Chris Bryant) :manny:

princeofhaiti

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Got with this Tech contracting firm and theyre looking to set me up with a 9pm to 6am Help desk job:wow:

My career is looking to begin brehs :mjcry:. Gonna work on my A plus in the mean time, along with school
how did u get in touch with the tech contracting firm? was it through your school?

EztheUnknown

"Do For Self"
Daps
Reppin
SOUTH CACK
What would you guys say is the best training program or route to land a BI job? I just got my Bachelors in Finance.

FreshFromATL

Self Made
Daps
Reppin
ATL
What would you guys say is the best training program or route to land a BI job? I just got my Bachelors in Finance.

Learn SQL really good, land a job as a Data Analyst (here you can learn about different BI Tools and how they're used depending on what stack your group/company is using), go into BI after you have a really good understanding of everything.

To be in BI you need to be a great problem solver, understand analytics, and be very good at SQL

Regular Developer

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Learn SQL really good, land a job as a Data Analyst (here you can learn about different BI Tools and how they're used depending on what stack your group/company is using), go into BI after you have a really good understanding of everything.

To be in BI you need to be a great problem solver, understand analytics, and be very good at SQL

I agree with FreshFromATL, for the most part. In my case, using Qlikview means that I don't need to do much more than a Select statement in SQL. You still need to learn a SQL-Like language, but its much more about knowing how to perform logic with sets of data. But there are a couple areas to focus on in BI.

Data analyst is good, thats a bit more on the businesss side of it.
Data Architect (not exactly sure what to call it) basically piecing together the different data in a way that can be used to find insights
Data Viz is about presenting data in the best way that tells the story. (This part is overlooked by technical people, but its essentially where the end users figure out where to make their decisions)

Some BI tools are Qlikview (my main), Tableau, and PowerBI (I think that's microsoft). I can't think of anymore off the top of my head.